Cade Povich 2024

Pickles

Posted (edited)

It appears his day is over.

5.1 IP

6 ER

4 BB

2 K

Stuff looked pretty good,  He's definitely not easy to hit, but he didn't throw enough strikes imo to be effective.

58 strikes out of 100 pitches

Edited by Pickles
  • Upvote 1

I was pretty underwhelmed.  He did let up a lot of soft contract, which is good but I wasn’t blown away by his stuff.  His command and control wasn’t great…didn’t miss many bats. Lacked Ks.

Still, I would give him at least one more start although that would be against Atlanta and that could be tough.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I was pretty underwhelmed.  He did let up a lot of soft contract, which is good but I wasn’t blown away by his stuff.  His command and control wasn’t great…didn’t miss many bats. Lacked Ks.

Still, I would give him at least one more start although that would be against Atlanta and that could be tough.

He simply can't be successful throwing that many balls.

2 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Only two hard-hit balls given up, both to Vlad. Lot of uncompetitive curveballs but the ones in or near the zone were good. The overall line was rough but there's good stuff to work with here.

It's kind of a glass half full vs half empty situation.

He wasn't super hittable, but he didn't throw nearly enough strikes.

Just now, Pickles said:

Agreed, that was my concern in many of his starts this year, even the ones that were good in the minors.

The question I have after finally seeing him, is the stuff good enough at this level that if he throws more strikes, it won’t get hit hard?

I didn’t see much.  Decent curveball at times but the fastball is pretty underwhelming.  Seems to be a pitch they will get hammered in the zone the more people see him.

It was his first start and he had some bad luck, so I’m not writing him off or anything but this start didn’t give me some immense hope that he can step into the rotation and be an answer.  Maybe his next start will make me feel that way.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Agreed, that was my concern in many of his starts this year, even the ones that were good in the minors.

The question I have after finally seeing him, is the stuff good enough at this level that if he throws more strikes, it won’t get hit hard?

I didn’t see much.  Decent curveball at times but the fastball is pretty underwhelming.  Seems to be a pitch they will get hammered in the zone the more people see him.

It was his first start and he had some bad luck, so I’m not writing him off or anything but this start didn’t give me some immense hope that he can step into the rotation and be an answer.  Maybe his next start will make me feel that way.

HIs fastball got some swings and misses.  Just a pure velo reading on that is misleading.  He's got some deception and length.

Like you though, I don't see an immediate contributor or difference maker.

He doesn't throw enough quality strikes.  He didn't today, and he hasn't in the MiLs.

He's got to tighten up his command/control.

Posted (edited)

I liked his composure.  First two innings he cruised but the writing was on the wall when he couldn’t land his curveball.  They were able to eliminate it completely and sit on his secondary stuff and dared him to throw it over the plate.  Hopefully he learned that even when he doesn’t have his best stuff he needs to go right at batters and not nibble.  Way too many uncompetitive pitches.  It will be interesting to see how he rebounds.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

He has had this issue all through the minors. Same with Chayce McDermott, Seth Johnson, Trace Bright, all have high walk rates. It looks like they still have trouble developing pitchers in the minors. It would be nice if they stoped focusing on velocity and focused on control 

I see the potential. But also the potential of a tough adjustment period. The loopy outer-third curve seems like it might be a pitch that gives AAA hitters fits, but MLB hitters know how to lay off or mash. 

Brach on the broadcast used the Max Fried visual comp, and shared Norby said "Max" is his nickname for Povich.

Results wise I got more of a Blake Snell style vibe trying to live on/off the edges and accepting the walks as a cost of doing business that way.

He met standard on the pregame expectation he's going to look more like a Kyle Gibson high volume innings helper, and not as much someone you can dream on in the bullpen like McDermott.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Brach on the broadcast used the Max Fried visual comp, and shared Norby said "Max" is his nickname for Povich.

Results wise I got more of a Blake Snell style vibe trying to live on/off the edges and accepting the walks as a cost of doing business that way.

He met standard on the pregame expectation he's going to look more like a Kyle Gibson high volume innings helper, and not as much someone you can dream on in the bullpen like McDermott.

Yea.  I don’t think we are looking at a dominant reliever type but more of an innings eater.  Could top out as a solid #3 but more likely a 4 or 5.  Regardless, a valuable piece.  With 5 pitches he could pitch in MLB for a long time.  He looks like a guy, but not a guy that’s going to be a difference maker this year.  

• Upvote 1