Heyman on deadline targets

Sports Guy

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Predicts we end up with Luzardo.  Connects us to Scott and Tyler Anderson as well.

If they do get him......you don't give up too much.   He is..........ok.  At best. 

What has he ever really done?  Nothing of note.  If we can't find a guy in our minor league system who as at least equal? 

Then the Os brass has not done its job in drafting and developing pitchers.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Predicts we end up with Luzardo.  Connects us to Scott and Tyler Anderson as well.

Not very impressive. Luzardo and Anderson have been pretty bad and it's not bad luck, their data is just bad. Scott walking 16.5% of his batters is troubling.

2 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

If they do get him......you don't give up too much.   He is..........ok.  At best. 

What has he ever really done?  Nothing of note.  If we can't find a guy in our minor league system who as at least equal? 

Then the Os brass has not done its job in drafting and developing pitchers.

They made a conscious choice to not draft pitching, instead to let other teams, draft, pitching, and deal with the failures. I see their logic and I don’t disagree with it, but the flipside is that when you need pitching, you have to pay the going rate.

And that’s something that Mike doesn’t seem to want to do. 

And that’s a wee bit o’ trouble, it tis…

• Upvote 1

I would rather trade for Kikuchi than Luzardo. His FB has gotten hammered pretty much every year besides 2022 and he gets very few whiffs on it. His slider and changeup are both really good but he throws them less than 50% of the time combined. He could probably improve just by throwing those pitches more but not sure how successful he can truly be with that FB.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see the O's have more success drafting and developing their own pitchers under Elias.  But I must concede that so far Elias has an excellent track record of getting good young controllable pitching from other teams farm systems  (Bradish, Povich, McDermott, Cano) or the waiver wire (Suarez, Webb, Perez).   The development of these pitchers suggests that we have excellent coaching in the high minors and in the majors.  There's more than one way to skin a cat.

At this point I don't see a need to trade farm system capital for a top-line starting pitcher like Luzardo.  If the season ended today I'd feel really good about going into a playoff series with Burnes, Rodriguez and Bradish as our big three starters.   I also see no point in getting Crochet midseason as he's not going to be able to carry a starters' load into October.  It's more likely that we trade for bullpen help now, and then address starting pitching in the offseason if Burnes moves on.   

45 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I would like to see the O's have more success drafting and developing their own pitchers under Elias.  But I must concede that so far Elias has an excellent track record of getting good young controllable pitching from other teams farm systems  (Bradish, Povich, McDermott, Cano) or the waiver wire (Suarez, Webb, Perez).   The development of these pitchers suggests that we have excellent coaching in the high minors and in the majors.  There's more than one way to skin a cat.

At this point I don't see a need to trade farm system capital for a top-line starting pitcher like Luzardo.  If the season ended today I'd feel really good about going into a playoff series with Burnes, Rodriguez and Bradish as our big three starters.   I also see no point in getting Crochet midseason as he's not going to be able to carry a starters' load into October.  It's more likely that we trade for bullpen help now, and then address starting pitching in the offseason if Burnes moves on.   

I think if you look at it draft by draft most years Elias did not have a chance to take a pitcher early. 2019 was Adley/Witt, 2020 everyone wanted Austin Martin SS over Kjerstad, 2021 it was Cowser or a few high school SS, and 2022 it was 5 position players at the top of the draft. I think Asa Lacy or Max Meyer were the only pitchers we could have possibly taken up until last year. 

Yeah no reason to get a starter. Kremer will be back soon and Suarez and Irvin have provided a lot of innings we did not expect. We need a late inning leverage guy and probably another middle relief pitcher, similar to getting Webb last year. I don't think we need to break the bank either. Everyone tosses around trading Kjerstad but we can get a late inning guy and not give up a top 25 prospect. We just a rental. Baustista will be back and we have a club option on Kimbrel if need be.

8 hours ago, Philip said:

They made a conscious choice to not draft pitching, instead to let other teams, draft, pitching, and deal with the failures. I see their logic and I don’t disagree with it, but the flipside is that when you need pitching, you have to pay the going rate.

And that’s something that Mike doesn’t seem to want to do. 

And that’s a wee bit o’ trouble, it tis…

Gee, they made a conscious strategy about how to handle the pitching, and now they have only the third lowest ERA in the majors.  Terrible strategy, I hope they regret it!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gee, they made a conscious strategy about how to handle the pitching, and now they have only the third lowest ERA in the majors.  Terrible strategy, I hope they regret it!

Come now…I didn’t say I disagreed with the decision, you know. 

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

I'm curious for those wanting to trade for a starter: who are you kicking out?

I would look to include Kremer in a deal, which likely would be appealing to the team trading for him.  Cheap, solid starter. Established MLers are almost always involved in bigger trades.

I don’t get idea that there is no reason to look for a starter and if reports are true, the Os clearly don’t believe it either.

Starter is, without question, a need for next year. You have no idea if Bradish will hold up all season. Injuries happen. Will Suarez remain good?

The goal should be to get this team as good as possible for October and 2025.  

• Upvote 1