How important is this Yankees series, really?

Frobby

8 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

No idea. I don't think the batter really mattered. I'm not advocating for the Orioles pitchers  to keep it going.  I'd much rather see them beat them on the field. 

I also rather watch the O’s beat the yanks on the field and while the bats are ice cold, let’s say they warm up and the O’s have a 5-1, 6-1 lead etc in the 6th tomorrow with 2 outs and Judge is coming up, would not surprise me if GRod beans the captain.

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’m not really advocating beaning anyone but I do hope they curb stomp them and talk a whole lotta smack while doing it.

I know it was only 1 game,  but I wish that would have ran the score up beyond 17 the last time.  

I don't expect any fire out of this team right now.  I think the grind of June has caught up with them. The All Star break can't get here soon enough. 

They better win tomorrow because Hyde "showed fire", "defended his players", and "got ejected" and that is supposed to propel a team to victory according to some posters here. It didn't work tonight so it better tomorrow, or I'll need more evidence that a manager getting tossed propels a team to victory.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, 398 to Left said:

Dude… your pinstripes are showing. 

you are either with us or you are the enemy

Youngster, you haven't realized yet that Corn is just a troll.

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

They better win tomorrow because Hyde "showed fire", "defended his players", and "got ejected" and that is supposed to propel a team to victory according to some posters here. It didn't work tonight so it better tomorrow, or I'll need more evidence that a manager getting tossed propels a team to victory.

Hyde didn't go Earl Weaver stark raving mad in the process of getting ejected.  Another reason he'll never be a great manager.

• Haha 1

Goes without saying a split rest of way keeps Orioles up one game at break and also means they would be up 6-4 in season standings. Win both you clinch season series. Play at NYY 3 games with 6 games to go. Just avoid a damn sweep. I think the series is more important from a tiebreaker standpoint than necessarily being up or down a game. 

Hopefully some frustration was released in the 9th inning. One big hit and maybe this team relaxes some.  

Probably needs another thread but I think hitting a batter in the head should come with a suspension. A bunch of sports like NFL and Hockey have done things to protect players. I would feel the same way if Kimbrel hit a Yankee in the head too. There’s probably some data out there on the average time a concussed player misses time and base the first time suspension off. Then each one after that gets more severe. There is a way to throw inside and anything above the shoulders should be off limits.

I generally do not like beaning anyone. However, it is a way the players police the game at times. It isn’t about “unwritten rules,” or anything else people seem to mock these days. This is about a bully imposing their will on you. Sooner or later, you either stand up for yourself, or roll over and show your belly. Enough is enough.

Holmes hit Kjerstad in the head. Was it intentional? Maybe. I hope he did not hit him in the head intentionally, but his control is very good. He’ll probably say something that “that one got away,” but he stepped right at him. Pretty telling. That is horsebleep!

Why hit Kjerstad? The only thing I can think of is that the Yankees believe that he took out Volpe at 2B? (Sounds like something they would say.) He clearly didn’t, just like Suarez didn’t hit Judge with any intent. Heston’s slide was direct to the base and Volpe landed on him. (I still don’t get the challenge by Boone there.) Why else would they hit him?

You can only turn the other cheek for so long. Pitchers have to pitch inside to be effective. We have been getting Judge out fairly well by pitching inside until last night. We looked afraid to go inside to Judge and Torres. No head-hunting, but a Yankee needs to wear one on the hip or ribs. (Preferably Verdugo. I wish Nestor or Holmes had to hit.) The benches will clear again, punches will be thrown. It’s time. We have to protect our guys. Otherwise, this will continue.

For Hyde to have reacted the way he did, another reason I love Hyder, our dugout has to believe the same as I do.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 398 to Left said:

Dude… your pinstripes are showing. 

you are either with us or you are the enemy

Listen, I understand that emotions are high.  I do not believe for a second that Holmes intentionally hit Kjerstad in the head with a 97 MPH. That’s a potentially career ending act. The comments from the Yankee player that pushed Hyde over the edge was classless. It appears to have been Cortez.

Edited by Roll Tide

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Hyde was yelling at Holmes, so I get why the Yankees said something to Hyde.

But after how weak they looked last series, crying about Judge being hit, etc..they continue to look whiney.

I don’t think Hyde yelling at Holmes warrants anything from the Yankees. These players are like kids to Hyde. He is with them more than he’s with his own family. When something like that happens to your family you may say and do stuff that is not normal. As a human being they should understand and let him vent. I’d rather someone say F me and I’m a POS than hit me in the face with a 98 MPH fastball.