How important is this Yankees series, really?

Frobby

7 hours ago, byrdz said:

If we do get the best of the them I’d expect a lot of whining from Boone and at least one ejection. 

As dopamine hits go, is there any better than Boone/Yankeee fanbase whining?

• Haha 1

Whether it's a big series or not, I thought the Orioles played uninspired baseball tonight. Suarez was lousy and couldn't command his pitches. The Oriole offense had an opportunity in the first inning but did nothing with it, and then finally made the game somewhat interesting with the HR by Santander in the 9th..but from the first until the ninth inning, they did almost nothing.I thought Urias getting picked off (he's not even a threat to steal) was unacceptable, and Mateo swinignthru ball four in the ninth that could've put the tying run at the plate, was awful. Thus was a very lacklustre performance...I was disappointed.They didnt look like an elite team tonight...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Gotta win one of the next two. Just absorb the bad Bradish move and get outta there with a chance for the division. Damage control while Elias figures things out. 

We need one of our bats to just go off and carry us to a win. Gunnar or Adley are most likely. 

Is Chris Richard still around?  He had a huge Yankees series that one year. 

8 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Whether it's a big series or not, I thought the Orioles played uninspired baseball tonight. Suarez was lousy and couldn't command his pitches. The Oriole offense had an opportunity in the first inning but did nothing with it, and then finally made the game somewhat interesting with the HR by Santander in the 9th..but from the first until the ninth inning, they did almost nothing.I thought Urias getting picked off (he's not even a threat to steal) was unacceptable, and Mateo swinignthru ball four in the ninth that could've put the tying run at the plate, was awful. Thus was a very lacklustre performance...I was disappointed.They didnt look like an elite team tonight...

So, that would suggest they do look inspired and elite on some nights.  Would that happen to be on the nights they hit, pitch, field, and run the bases well?    Funny how that works.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

A baseball team... LOST A GAME??? Terrible, just terrible. This makes me question their effort and desire to win. If they were really trying then they should have won easily, right? Elite teams don't lose, period. In fact, they never even get scored on, or fail to score, or do anything bad at all. What a bunch of losers!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Mateo struck out on a well executed strike to ball slider in a full count, after a sinker below the zone was called for strike 1. To call this out as a particularly “awful” play is ignorant and just illustrates your bias against certain players on the team.

It’s funny, you cry for guys to take pitches and then call their 2 strike swing decisions “awful” after they have taken pitches.

IMG_8459.jpeg

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Mateo struck out on a well executed strike to ball slider in a full count, after a sinker below the zone was called for strike 1. To call this out as a particularly “awful” play is ignorant and just illustrates your bias against certain players on the team.

It’s funny, you cry for guys to take pitches and then call their 2 strike swing decisions “awful” after they have taken pitches.

IMG_8459.jpeg

"To call this out as a particularly “awful” play is ignorant and just illustrates your bias against certain players on the team."

Take a breath...

I think people are afraid that losing this series will expose the Orioles as some sort of a fraud or whatever. It won't, they have a decided pitching matchup in each game and we still had a chance last night with Suarez putting everyone on base to score runs early and came up short, it's not like we were blown out.

Edited by Malike

On 6/19/2024 at 11:25 AM, DirtyBird said:

IMG_8459.jpeg

In all fairness a guy can take pitches, swing at bad pitches, work the count and still have a bad at bat based on pitch sequencing. Mateo's at bat wasn't one of those moments. One of my takeaways from the first two games is the umpiring around the strike zone. In Mateo's at bat, if pitch number 4 is called a ball he walks and it isn't setup to protect low on that 3-2 slider out of the zone.

Also, I want to protect Roy a little here too. He has been around the game and knows what he is talking about. Sometimes his passion gets verbalized in a way that makes him an easy target, but he loves the Orioles as much as anyone on this board.

I was telling my Yankee fan nephew the other night, the Yankees losing to the Red Sox bought us a little leeway for this series. Of course this series is somewhat important, but it's not THAT important. We could have even gotten swept and I'd still think we'd been in a good spot.