Heston Kjerstad 2024

OsFanSinceThe80s

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

“So it comes down to everything else (which is much more important than sprint speed) - first step/jumps, routes, positioning. It’s not everything, but it’s helpful that there isn’t a physical limitation on his top end speed that would limit him to 1B/DH. “

Boy are are bored and spoiling for a fight.

Shame I don't feel like indulging.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Boy are are bored and spoiling for a fight.

Shame I don't feel like indulging.

Mr. Redbeard pointed to Kjerstads above average print speed, acknowledged that it wasn’t the most important factor in outfield defense.

Your post didn’t acknowledge the great points he made.  You didn’t rep him.  You didn’t say you agreed.   You just posted your opinion of two outfielders who had good speed but were below average outfielders.

Were you just reiterating his point?   If so, why not acknowledge that he made good points?

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Kjerstad is 65th percentile in sprint speed on Statcast. He was 64th percentile last year. That’s a stat where you do not need much sample size at all, so I think we can put some weight on it now. 

It’s a good sign, it supports the eye test (to me at least) that his speed is not really an impediment to playing acceptable corner OF defense. He’s well ahead of Santander, for instance, and actually ahead of Hays as well. So it comes down to everything else (which is much more important than sprint speed) - first step/jumps, routes, positioning. It’s not everything, but it’s helpful that there isn’t a physical limitation on his top end speed that would limit him to 1B/DH. 

Not gonna take much to be better than Santander out there. 

4 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

How is Kjerstads arm?  I’ve never had a chance to see him make a throw of any consequence 

His arm accuracy has seemed fine, he doesn't have a Cowser or Santander cannon, but it appear sufficient to me and accurate hitting the cutoff man. I do hold my breath every time he has to sprint for a ball if I'm being honest. He's made the plays, but they don't look fluid. He'll get there. I hope.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

His arm accuracy has seemed fine, he doesn't have a Cowser or Santander cannon, but it appear sufficient to me and accurate hitting the cutoff man. I do hold my breath every time he has to sprint for a ball if I'm being honest. He's made the plays, but they don't look fluid. He'll get there. I hope.

He is definitely one of the more awkward runners I've seen since Nolan Reimold. He does run hard, at least. 

Just now, casadeozo said:

Love his bat in this lineup!

this going to shape up to be a very consequential trade deadline for the orioles one way or the other.

we have a bounty of hitting and an dearth of pitching. Honestly not sure how best to deal with it.

Very good chance a prospect or player on the team that is popular with the fans gets traded for a pitcher. Kjerstad is a player I really don't want to give up he has the potential to be a special hitter.