Luis Robert

Filmstudy

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I get that McCann’s bat is not ideal in the lineup (on the days that he plays). And Mullins struggled really bad for about 6-7 weeks. And Mateo/Urias are no great shakes themselves. But even with all/each of them getting regular to semi-regular ABs, we have the #1 offense in the sport. Like it literally doesn’t get any better.

So how do we “need” another bat. Maybe if Mayo is still here, he comes up at some point and strengthens us even more? But I struggle to understand the idea of us needing more offense, especially when the pitching is this shaky. Do you want Cano (who know looks like he’s lost it) and Perez coming in to try to hold games in the 7th/8th inning only to turn it over to Kimbrel in the 9th in October? 

Maybe we defeat SEA/NY and reach a World Series for the first time in over 40 years. How would you like our chances of potentially Ranger Suarez vs Irvin/Kremer/Suarez/Povich for 2 times in a potential 7 game series? Seems like the Phills would have a strong advantage there, no?

You read a little too much into that. We need a bat to go against LH SP in the playoffs. Mayo can DH and be that bat. A very specific role. Saying that has nothing to do with us needing a SP. The thread is “Luis Robert”. A bat. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

CF is not a "need" but Mullins has shown he is not a consistent bat. I could see value in having both Mullins and Robert providing insurance for each other, especially in a no Santander scenario. I'm interested if the cost is mostly Robert's contract.

They are not just going to give him away. He is one of their most valuable assets. It's going to cost real prospects.

IMO the prospect capital for any trade would be best used on the team's weakness (pitching). Again, we are #1 in the league in offense already "as is". 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

They are not just going to give him away. He is one of their most valuable assets. It's going to cost real prospects.

IMO the prospect capital for any trade would be best used on the team's weakness (pitching). Again, we are #1 in the league in offense already "as is".

Definitely. Even if Mullins goes into a cold stretch again the Orioles have shown they will play him less and let Cowser play more in CF. Pitching is the biggest thing that is (potentially) going to sink this team.

They might be able to get away with only one bullpen arm if the team trades for  quality starting pitcher then a pitcher like Suarez or Irvin can move to the bullpen.

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Definitely. Even if Mullins goes into a cold stretch again the Orioles have shown they will play him less and let Cowser play more in CF. Pitching is the biggest thing that is (potentially) going to sink this team.

They might be able to get away with only one bullpen arm if the team trades for  quality starting pitcher then a pitcher like Suarez or Irvin can move to the bullpen.

I don't want to be deceived by Suarez's performance last night.

TEX this season has a bad offense. When he faced better offenses in the Yankees and Astros, the last two times out, he got shelled. Those will be the caliber of offenses that we will be facing in October. Not the Rangers who have so far this season been less than average.

32 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I am not convinced Robert is a valuable asset net of the contract. We will see what offers they get. I agree, I am not giving up a top prospect *and* paying $20M per but I could do the $20M and some of our international kids not named Basallo.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I am not convinced Robert is a valuable asset net of the contract. We will see what offers they get. I agree, I am not giving up a top prospect *and* paying $20M per but I could do the $20M and some of our international kids not named Basallo.

From what you have seen from Christ Getz in his tenure as White Sox GM, do you think that he is going to give away any of his players? Do you not remember when he balked at last year's trading deadline regarding Cease (who was having a down season) and he was insisting on getting Holliday from us?

He's the type of Gm that if he doesn't get what he wants, he will walk away and trade later (in offseason) as he has already shown.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

From what you have seen from Christ Getz in his tenure as White Sox GM, do you think that he is going to give away any of his players? Do you not remember when he balked at last year's trading deadline regarding Cease (who was having a down season) and he was insisting on getting Holliday from us?

He's the type of Gm that if he doesn't get what he wants, he will walk away and trade later (in offseason) as he has already shown.

They are other people to deal with in trade besides Getz.

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I am not saying the trade is likely to happen, only that I would be exploring the option if I were either GM. 

12 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Hahn was still the GM at last year’s deadline.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

I’m assuming you meant other teams to do with ?  If you want deal with White Sox , Getz is the guy you have to deal with 

Maybe I’m not being clear, I don’t like the deal for Robert because of Getz and what it will cost. Therefore, deal with another team. Since when is help in the OF what the team needs?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Maybe I’m not being clear, I don’t like the deal for Robert because of Getz and what it will cost. Therefore, deal with another team. Since when is help in the OF what the team needs?

I think they considering upgrading OF with RH batter . Of course, that likely lower on priority list .  Pitching needs upgrading and back fill