Who goes when Kremer comes up?

Three Run Homer

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Kremer can stay at Norfolk for the rest of the year if that is what Elias thinks is best for the team.   His rehab can go until July 15th.   And he can be optioned to Norfolk if that is the right thing to do.

The question in front of Elias is:   Is Kremer ready to be a better starter than Irvin?

I think Scott McGregor, right now, may be a better starter than Irvin.

I'm excited to see how Kremer looks and I think he's one of the more important players on the roster right now. 

If he can continue to get the better-than-peripherals results he has for the last two years, that will go a long way towards stabilizing this rotation and giving Elias more trade deadline wiggle room. There are warning signs but I also think Kremer is a smart pitcher with a versatile approach so I'm hopeful.

22 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Irvin needs a break.  He is a decent SP but I think he's also a little over exposed at this point.

Send Irvin to the pen.  He's been very effective there and hopefully can rediscover his control.  Irvin has been invaluable to the O's this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the playoff roster but hopefully not as a starter.

• Upvote 1

So, Burnes is pushed back to Thursday. He could still make the Tuesday-Sunday starts next week, or does Hyde go with Kremer to make two starts next week. The Sunday game against the Yankees could be big. I think if we win two of three we clinch the season series.

Seatle is near the bottom in most offensive categories (other than walks) -- 27th in both runs scored and OBP. If Kremer doesn't hold this lineup to a couple of runs over four or five innngs (I'm assuming a pitch limit around 50-75), he's probably not ready to pitch in MLB.

• Upvote 1

Maybe we send Akin down for a be of a de-load until after the ASB. We can only send Vespi down maybe one more time before we have to DFA him because of the rule in the CBA about being optioned so many times. 

and/or

We start Irvin in Oakland because it’s at Oakland in that ballpark. But, I think we back off Irvin too, and let him be the long man/third lefty while one of Akin/Vespi is in AAA. 

We could de-load Akin and Irvin in one fell swoop. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Maybe we send Akin down for a be of a de-load until after the ASB. We can only send Vespi down maybe one more time before we have to DFA him because of the rule in the CBA about being optioned so many times. 

and/or

We start Irvin in Oakland because it’s at Oakland in that ballpark. But, I think we back off Irvin too, and let him be the long man/third lefty while one of Akin/Vespi is in AAA. 

We could de-load Akin and Irvin in one fell swoop. 

What’s your definition of a de-load.   Akin pitched one inning on June 24.   He didn’t pitch again until June 30.   He’s also been our best reliever since mid June with 10 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 R, 12 K.

7 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I have serious doubts that Kremer will be the same guy pitching wise as he was before he got hurt...he was lousy in Norfolk...and that concerns me..we will see what we get Wednesday night...but Im not confident hes gonna be effective..

I’m not either, but we’ve seen many instances of our starters struggling in rehab games and then performing well in the majors.   And, the Mariners aren’t exactly the 1927 Yankees.   So, we’ll see.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

What’s your definition of a de-load.   Akin pitched one inning on June 24.   He didn’t pitch again until June 30.   He’s also been our best reliever since mid June with 10 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 R, 12 K.

De-load meaning let him pitch once every 2-3 games for AAA since he's the only optionable piece.  Make the most out of the situation.  If not Vespi goes, and he might be at his limit on how many times he can be optioned in a season before he's gotta be DFA'd.  We'll see.  

It will probably be Vespi down.  

Vespi it is. 105.7 confirmed that the next time he’s optioned he will have to be DFA’d. So I don’t think we see him until rosters expand in September. Tucker Davidson or Matt Krook will be our 3rd lefty up/down guy if we need one. 

Vespi, Akin, Perez, Coloumbe, and Irvin, all will not have an option next year. Krook does. Zimmerman, and Tucker Davidson, will not have options next year as well. 

So it looks like Krook will be in the Vespi role next year. 

I would not be surprised to see Vespi involved in a deadline deal as an extra piece. He’s not officially a spare part. Heckuva a season for him. He deserves to be some team’s 2nd lefty in the pen.