Unconventional Thinking: A Quick Sell Off

ScGO's

16 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Just saying, if this slide continues and by the 31st they are looking up at the yanks and red Sox, they may need to consider this. 

I just don't know where the pitching is going to come from. I know they ain't hitting, that's not my worry although I do think trying to share all the ABs is putting these guys in a funk . I wasn't suggesting selling tonight, but Elias had to consider this route if they keep slipping over the next 10 or so games 

They’ve scored what 1 run in 3 games. We can’t just blame the pitching. It’s easier to pitch with run support.

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 1

They are not going to trade players for prospects at this point.  That is what a selloff is.  It doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t trade a veteran like Mountcastle and even Santander with the right return.  They have three pretty solid starting pitchers in Burnes, Grod, and Kremer.  They need to add another.  Texas and Arizona made the World series with with 90 and 84 wins in the regular season.  They aren’t going to trade Burnes for prospects.  After 41 years of no world series that would be a severe disservice to this fan base.

• Upvote 1

This team is in first place after a really bad week they're not selling period. Do you think the offense won't hit the rest of the season? The team does need some pitching help for a playoff, but it would take something extraordinary for a 2005 like collapse with the talent on the roster.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They’ve scored what 1 run in 3 games. We can’t just blame the pitching. It’s easier to pitch with run support.

I don't blame the pitching, I just don't think there is enough of it with all the unexpected injuries this year. And I don't think gutting the system for the amount of pitching it would take to win the WS this year is worth it (see Padres)

I think if they sold the guys I mentioned in the opening, they could still potentially make it in as a wildcard (is what is), but the reason they sold is bc they truly felt that after running the numbers, algorithms, and looking at the books, it wasn't worth going for it this year bc of the unforeseen pitching injuries, and they should use that clump of short term veteran value to get a quick injection of young pitching we desperately need to build depth; we had this need even before the pitching injuries. Couple that with a big push in Free Agency to bring Burnes back and we could be favorites next year and so on (Send Burnes to a West Coast team this year to be closer to his wife and new born babies, then tell him to look for houses in the Baltimore region for 2025). 

This year, you let the young guys finish it and see where it goes while they develop, you try to go into next year with something like

C-Adley 1B-Mayo 2B-Norby 3B-Westbut SS-Gunnar LF-Cowser CF-Holliday RF-Kjerstad DH-Ohearn/Balsallo

SP-Burnes (7 Year, 260 mil (maybe 2-3 player/club options if he's pulling a Verlander in his late 30's/early 40's): End Goal is WS and Orioles Cap on HoF plaque)), Gray Rod, Woo, #4 (Use Milb depth in offseason to acquire and MLB Vet), #5(Acquired Young AAA Stud from 2024 trade deadline who is now ready), Kremer and more fresh depth in AAA

Bullpen - Felix is back, McDermott, etc

This can all be tweaked, but its the general direction I'd go if the Orioles were in 3rd place after the next 12 games

Obviously the organization needs pitching depth.  That kind of need is best addressed in the offseason.  Right now the ML team needs a frontline starter and one or two decent bullpen pieces.  Seasons in which the Orioles are in first place in July don’t grow on trees… this is an opportunity to be exploited.  And yes it will require trading away some real talent.  

Edited by Emory Eagle

While I don't agree with a 'quick sell off', and the recent slump is not nearly drastic enough to support that sort of a move, I DO think we should sell off some of our MLB assets to 1) shore up our pitching and 2) open up opportunities for talented players that are currently blocked.  I certainly wouldn't trade ALL of those that were listed in the OP, but I'd be ok with trading a couple of them out of Mountcastle/Urias/Mateo/Mullins/Hays/Santander.  If I had my way, I'd trade a couple of them for the best minor league pitching I could get to help us in the future AND trade some of the position players that won't be moving up even after trading the MLB players for some MLB pitching right now.  Shore up the team today by adding to the current MLB pitching staff AND add some arms to the minors to help in the future as well.  It's not going to happen, I don't think, but that's what I'd like to see personally.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

In fairness the pitching staff has given up 25 runs in the past four games, and that's obviously not including the 19 run hammering the A's delivered last weekend. 

The rotation needs maybe just one good starter (though preferably two), but the bullpen is where this team has been quite vulnerable for some time and in danger of falling further.

4 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Here me out

No one imagined losing all these pitchers and now I see all the suggestions about trading our top prospects for MLB arms and I'm having nightmares that were going to pull a Padres and waste the #1 system by making trigger happy trades

Elias (all of us) may have to accept that we just don't have the pitching to be WS contenders, nor can we justify selling off the system too early to try and rush it after the long rebuild 

We also have the problem of having too many position players including blocked prospects, and it's getting counter productive 

I'd rather sell  for some young pitching than buy MLB arms at the cost of our young guns. Do we trade Burnes for a top 100 pitcher prospect? Mountcastle for Woo? Trade Santander, Hays, Kimbrell, Urias, Mateo, Mullins, and O'hearn for controllable pitching pieces?

Let the young guns finish the season. They still might make playoffs. But overall we are better set for 25 and 26 as we cleared veteran road blocks in exchange for the to ng pitching we lack

In the off-season, sign Burnes and tweak the roster as needed, but overall, our young offense is probably set for years, and now we have pitching depth, Burnes, grod, woo, etc

Not saying they SHOULD do this, but if the slide continues, do they consider it?

Oh my god! The slide? The Orioles have three more wins this year than they did at this date last season. If you want to get technical, their record thru 94 game is identical to last season. Calm down. 

• Upvote 1

No one imagined losing all these pitchers?

Everyone did once the Bradish and Means injuries were announced. Elias made this mess with lack of pitching depth and now has to dig us out. Everyone knew they needed another starter after Burnes and another relief picther.  

Nothing statistical to back this next comment up (being lazy) but it seems there is a lot more parity this season than any I can recall.  5-6 good records but no one pulling away and just beating everyone consistently ((Phillies and Cleveland maybe?).  Dodgers struggling.  Us and Yankees struggling.  Braves struggling.  Seattle slightly above average at best.  Good teams who could still all win it all but all have some major issues.

Just need to get through this slump and start winning 2/3 again.