Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

2 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm guessing the Orioles would.  I don't think Mayo is on the table to be dealt.

If Skubal is going to be trade to us, it’s going to hurt.  I’m not suggesting I’d do it, but for the sake of the thread I’m trying to be realistic. 

The trade value ascribed to Tarik Skubal on BTV is through the roof and if the Orioles were to meet it in terms of prospects from their system per the BTV metric, the Orioles players would be deeply discounted and Skubal (despite methodology that indicates they account for injury) would be essentially priced for Cy Young performance over the next 2.5 years.

Everything about this trade runs against the Orioles from the perspective of peak value:

--Skubal is valued at a historically highest level

--Orioles prospects are discounted for current AAA or AA status

--Orioles are trading position players (mostly) for a pitcher which is not the risk dynamic desired

By their methodology, Skubal is worth a package of something like: Norby, McDermott, Holliday, and Beavers.  An alternative posted on the site is Skubal for Kjerstad, Basallo, McDermott.  First of all, I don't believe there is a team that can put together that package of prospects other than the Orioles, (the Dodgers might be able to take some significant amount of salary dump).

If it's Holliday straight up for Skubal, I'm passing.

Here's the scary thing about the reports of the Tigers scout watching the Norfolk games...the thing they can't easily get from statcast is how Holliday looks throwing since his return.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Tigers thing could be just a ploy to get other teams to up their offer.

Anything is possible at this point because there is still so much that we do not know that is transpiring behind the scenes.

We've still got a little more than a week to see how this all unfolds. It will probably come down to the 29th or even the 30th before the dust really settles and Elias does whatever he decides to do.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Anything is possible at this point because there is still so much that we do not know that is transpiring behind the scenes.

We've still got a little more than a week to see how this all unfolds. It will probably come down to the 29th or even the 30th before the dust really settles and Elias does whatever he decides to do.

100%. This could be for Mize, Olsen or a relief arm too. Maybe even Carson Kelly to dump McCann.

26 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

--Orioles prospects are discounted for current AAA or AA status

Why is there a discount for AAA or AA discount? I’d expect a 60 FV prospect at AAA to be worth more than a 60 FV prospect in A ball because the risk is lower.

• Upvote 2

What’s up with all the reporting on the Tigers insisting on Spencer Jones from the Yankees and that the Yankees might consider including him?  

Am I missing something? I don’t see Jones as being a materially better prospect than Bradfield or Honeycutt.  He is underperforming Jud Fabian (who is same age) in AA and has a 37% strikeout rate.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

What’s up with all the reporting on the Tigers insisting on Spencer Jones from the Yankees and that the Yankees might consider including him?  

Am I missing something? I don’t see Jones as being a materially better prospect than Bradfield or Honeycutt.  He is underperforming Jud Fabian (who is same age) in AA and has a 37% strikeout rate.

Yankees media is playing on constant loop that one titanic home run Spencer Jones hit on the first day of spring training trying to make the other 29 GM's forget he's looked like Joey Gallo's worse little brother at making contact.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Why is there a discount for AAA or AA discount? I’d expect a 60 FV prospect at AAA to be worth more than a 60 FV prospect in A ball because the risk is lower.

If you are not near your window to compete for a championship, prospects who are MLB ready or near MLB ready are not as appealing, from a financial standpoint, as prospects who are likely to mature when you are ready to compete. 

Skubal is slated to face the Guards in Cleveland tonight. If we were to trade for him, I’d rather not give Cleveland another look at him. We could also use a 5th starter to slot in at Miami this week. I don’t think a blockbuster comes together today but I’ll still be keeping my eye out if he gets pulled from his start tonight 

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

Found this, she has 2k followers and profile says she works for MLB Network but I am not familiar with her so can’t say for sure this is legit. 

It’s a parody account.

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

Found this, she has 2k followers and profile says she works for MLB Network but I am not familiar with her so can’t say for sure this is legit. 

All you have to do is check the legit sources/reporters.