Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

2 hours ago, theobird said:

it seems to me that we got swept out of the playoffs last year because we didn’t hit as much as anything. Yes, the pitching also failed us, but Grayson did too and I assume you are not flushing him out of our rotation going forward. Texas was just unconcious hot. We hit a freight train. That is what happens over and over again in the playoffs. I want to get many years of postseason baseball hoping that we can be the train a couple of times.

None of our starters in the series finished 5 innings and only one gave us a chance.

Yes our offense outside of game 2 was not good. But I expect lower scoring games in October for the most part as good pitching can usually get the best of good hitting. 

Yes Texas was hit but if we had faced HOU with the way our rotation was, chances are the results would have been similar.

We can get many years of post season play by containing to draft and develop well AND extending some of our young superstars AND using FA and trades wisely. 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah, 105.7 is doing a poll right now asking if you would trade Holliday for Skubal straight up?  Last I heard the poll was 40% Yes, 60% No. 

Funny, because Tiger fans on Twitter are debating about whether Holliday, Westburg, and one of Mayo/Basallo would be enough.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I say we ask Papa Rubenstein to open up the check book and only really have to pay money for Blake Snell.  It's funny to say he's a bounceback candidate since he won a Cy Young last season.  

Think he's too busy throwing hats to the crowd and doing press releases for T Rowe.

14 minutes ago, Malike said:

Like this?

Maybe they're suggesting Skubal comes to Baltimore along with... I don't know... Max Clark, Jace Jung, Reese Olson, and Andrew Chafin. Or something.

Oh, I just noticed Mayo is there, too! So somebody, clearly freebasing angel dust, is suggesting the deal is Skubal for Westburg, Holliday, Mayo, Basallo and Kjerstad? Remember, that's 2.5 years of Skubal, who probably has a 30-40% chance of a major injury in that time. So a weighted mean of maybe 50 starts, for what's probably a projected 60-80 WAR in value, with upside far beyond that, and a floor of maybe 30-40 WAR. Fans are funny.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Did the Orioles also get Reese Olson, Tyler Holton, and Jack Flaherty to go with Skubal? 

For that package, they’d have to throw in Axel Foley, the Red Wings, and a motor company to be named later.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Malike said:

Like this?

I mean, I'd trade Kjerstan, I don't even know who that is...but I'm not trading Kjerstad, Holliday, Mayo, Westburg and Basallo. That's just crazy talk. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Maybe they're suggesting Skubal comes to Baltimore along with... I don't know... Max Clark, Jace Jung, Reese Olson, and Andrew Chafin. Or something.

Oh, I just noticed Mayo is there, too! So somebody, clearly freebasing angel dust, is suggesting the deal is Skubal for Westburg, Holliday, Mayo, Basallo and Kjerstad? Remember, that's 2.5 years of Skubal, who probably has a 30-40% chance of a major injury in that time. So a weighted mean of maybe 50 starts, for what's probably a projected 60-80 WAR in value, with upside far beyond that, and a floor of maybe 30-40 WAR. Fans are funny.

Amen to that.

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

At this point, I really want the Orioles to get Skubal just for the Tigers' fans reaction when they don't get what they think they will. 

Schadenfreude isn't really worth risking another Glenn Davis trade. IMO. Skubal is far more likely to have a catastrophic injury in the next 2.5 years than Davis was in January of 1991.