The Elephant in the Room - The Red Sox

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I agreed with the bolded. The rest not so much.

The only reason that they are 4.5 games back is because our pitching has been absolutely garbage for almost a month and our team hasn't hit very well in July.

I expect those two things to change soon. We are going to start hitting again. And Elias will make a move or two so that we won't have to continue to rely on several pitchers are frankly just aren't that good (i.e. Cole Irvin).

The Red Sox are by no means world beaters. I'm not going to act like they are just because we have been struggling for the last 25 games.

Don’t you think the Yankees and Sawx will make moves too? 

Did the Sawx get the memo this isn’t their year?  Haha. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Don’t you think the Yankees and Sawx will make moves too? 

Did the Sawx get the memo this isn’t their year?  Haha. 

I'm not worried about the Red Sox. To be honest, I'm not that worried about the Yankees.

If Elias adds the right pieces/pitchers to sure up our weakness. And if we hit like we did for the first 3 months of the season, we will be fine.

Our destiny is more within our control IMO. I don't find worrying about the Red Sox to be particularly useful for me. I'm more worried about what Elias does or does not do.

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I'm not worried about the Red Sox. To be honest, I'm not that worried about the Yankees.

If Elias adds the right pieces/pitchers to sure up our weakness. And if we hit like we did for the first 3 months of the season, we will be fine.

Our destiny is more within our control IMO. I don't find worrying about the Red Sox to be particularly useful for me. I'm more worried about what Elias does or does not do.

I think Elias is likely to make moves, but I expect this team to make the playoffs regardless.   Winning the division would be tough if they stand pat.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Elias is likely to make moves, but I expect this team to make the playoffs regardless.   Winning the division would be tough if they stand pat.  

It all depends on the quality not moves that he makes.

5 hours ago, btdart20 said:

I was told not to worry about them.  Their pitching wasn't sustainable.  Too gimmicky with offspeed and breaking balls.

I mean, they are 5th in pitching now, not 1st like they were for a couple of months. It's good, but they still pitch worse than the Yankees who have a terrible pen and rocky starters. The Sox ERA is 3.63 the O's is 3.68. They aren't being carried by pitching right now, they are hitting.

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Pivetta's having one of his couple times a decade Cy Young like runs between years of 4.80 ERA's.    He's handling the Dodgers tonight like Grayson believes he can handle everybody.

The Dodgers are a mess, they've been handled by a ton of teams with 1/8th of the payroll. They are going to be big deadline players.

Hopefully this will be a RJ thread. 

The Red Sox have the best pitching in the AL East. I’m not saying that I’m terrified of them. Just pointing out that they have arrived. Can’t stick that rebuilding label on them anymore and they have the potential to factor into this race. 

9 hours ago, Malike said:

I mean, they are 5th in pitching now, not 1st like they were for a couple of months. It's good, but they still pitch worse than the Yankees who have a terrible pen and rocky starters. The Sox ERA is 3.63 the O's is 3.68. They aren't being carried by pitching right now, they are hitting.

They are a good team.  Even without one of their best hitters. The certainty of their demise was wrong.  Them stupidly bowing to fan pressure firing Bloom helped the O's.  Especially in 2024 when they traded Sales.

6 hours ago, TopGunnar said:

You’re 44 years old and you’re posting “mom jokes”. Let me guess, your single, live on a friends couch and haven’t been laid since college. How close am I ?

Cool that you’re stalking me and yeah I’m cooler than you. And I certainly wouldn’t be upset if someone was making your mom jokes about my mom. Loosen up buddy.