July 23rd, @Miami

nevadaO

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

A few innings too late, but trusting Akin with runners on didn’t really pay off. He just doesn’t have the stuff to get out of those kinds of situations without allowing at least 2.

He’s a fine 5th/6th inning guy. Not sure many guys you bring in during the 3rd inning are going to have lights out stuff.

I think it’s more indicative of Suárez. He’s averaging less than 5 IP/start and has been brutal the past month, with his ERA slowly catching up to his peripherals. He is just not preventing runs well enough anymore and isn’t providing nearly enough length to be a viable starter. 

• Upvote 1

Typical, get behind and then do nothing on offense. It’s been that way all year. The only comeback I can recall in a long time was the Yankees game last weekend and I wouldn’t even call that our doing, it was a gift. If we don’t get a lead early we’re pretty much down for the count.

7 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

A few innings too late, but trusting Akin with runners on didn’t really pay off. He just doesn’t have the stuff to get out of those kinds of situations without allowing at least 2.

Akin has the 2nd highest strikeout ratio in the pen at almost 11.