O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

8 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Cowles and Neely were bottom tier prospects for the Yankees, and the Yankees get 2.5 years of Leiter. Even if there's upside to Cowles/Neely, this is an incredibly savvy trade by the Yankees. 

Stop paying attention to prospect rankings, especially ones from the start of the year. They're woefully out of date at this point. Even the midseason rankings are usually unreliable because it's not until the end of season rankings happen that places like FG/BA/BP/etc. actually get to spend a lot of time talking to scouts to get a feel of what the industry feels about player's recent performance.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

I know it doesn’t break down perfectly, but Norby/Irvin > Vavra/Rodgers. Just a baffling move made even worse by the decision to call up Vavra. They’re actually worse today than they were yesterday. 

Do you really think that Vavra is going to be here long term? I mean if thats the case, then yes- but I think he is a stop gap for Mayo/Holliday.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Up until this year, Rogers has missed bats and thrown strikes at an above average rate. This year that’s not the case. Why?  I would guess whatever that reason, the Os figure it’s an easy fix

So why not make that trade before the season starts? Why wait until the deadline to acquire Rodgers?

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It's telling us that he's going to build this org around high probability studs, and that he's focused on sustained success over an all-in approach.

It's not a sustainable strategy for winning that is based around mediocre to poor pitching. As things stand now, we are a Burnes departure in FA from having a really bad rotation for 25'. How are we going to compete against the best teams with a clear disadvantage in the pitching department (as next season is shaping up to be)?

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

2022-2024: 4.92 ERA, 4.36 FIP, 4.34 xFIP

That’s a pretty substantial sample, in the sense that it comprises about 60% of his career MLB innings. Hard to locate much data in his profile over that period of time that suggests anything other than a fringe rotation guy.

We’re an awfully long way from 2021 at this point. If they can help him rediscover 94-95 on the fastball, maybe there’s something there. But it seems a whole lot like a once-electric arm that no longer has the same juice.

If they’d gotten your guy Nardi in this deal, I’d feel so much better about it. Even if they had to add another middling prospect to do it.

It all comes down to how you want to parse it. He pitched 18 innings in 2023 across four starts, so looking at 2022-24 as 3 seasons worth of starts is a bit misleading. He also only made 23 starts in 2022, including only 4 after July 25th, so he went a season and a third (July 25, 2022 through the end of 2023) making only 8 starts, going under 40 innings. 

His last 9 starts he has a 3.17 ERA, 4.23 FIP.

Seems like a decent bet to be a mid-rotation guy, better position than anyone currently on the roster to be the #4 starter (if not #3 ahead of Eflin), and is likely to be reasonably inexpensive through his remaining two arbitration rounds, given how much time he missed in 2022 and 2023.

People are really overreacting to the prospect cost here. I have no doubt at all that if Norby/Stowers could have brought back a better pitcher with 2 more years of control, it would have happened. Neither is close to a lock to be an MLB regular. Let's see which SP go the rest of the way out and what they bring back. Glad they both get a chance to play every day in Miami and not losing sleep over it.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rush fans are the Swifties of the prog rock world.

It was always my impression (in college where of course I hung out with a variety of people) that guys who actually played in bands were big into Rush and the rest of the world was kind of meh on them.    I figured it was some musician thing that I, totally lacking in any kind of musical ability or talent, just didn't get.   Maybe @NashLumbercan chime in.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Did you think Norby had a long term future here?

No, I don't. And I think that's why he was a trade asset. Maybe there wasn't a suitor for him other than the Marlins/Rogers deal. But man, I sure don't like giving up a guy like Norby for the profile of Rogers. It feels wrong. I can't even talk myself into it aside from Rogers makes this team slightly better this year. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Malike said:

People are really overreacting to the prospect cost here. I have no doubt at all that if Norby/Stowers could have brought back a better pitcher with 2 more years of control, it would have happened. Neither is close to a lock to be an MLB regular. Let's see which SP go the rest of the way out and what they bring back. Glad they both get a chance to play every day in Miami and not losing sleep over it.

Why does it need to be a better pitcher with 2 more years of control and not, say, just a better pitcher? 

2 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

Why Vavra?!??!?

Because he's the man. 

But in all seriousness, he will likely be on the bench temporarily. Westburg to 2B, Urias to 3B would be my guess. Mateo back soon hopefully.