Grayson Rodriguez 2024

Spy Fox

3 minutes ago, OrioleintheATL said:

Blows my mind.  Few days because there is no advanced medical  technology available in the entire city?  Few days because the person reading the scan is on vacation in the Ozarks?  WTF is this acting like a third world operation?  This is big money, big business.  Get someone to determine what the scan said.  That's just stupid.  No way it takes three days to read a scan.  Lying.

Ever had to get a diagnosis for a complex condition? Often the doctors don't know what's going on. They aren't going to say anything public if there's any chance they might be wrong.

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Ever had to get a diagnosis for a complex condition? Often the doctors don't know what's going on. They aren't going to say anything public if there's any chance they might be wrong.

Whenever they start saying “additional imaging, scans, etc” usually it’s bad news and long term injury. Probably because the initial diagnosis they got wasn’t good. 

3 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

I do hold Elias accountable. Going into February, this was your rotation:

• Burnes
  • Bradish
  • Grayson
  • Kremer
  • Wells/Means/Irvin/Suarez

Wells has an injury history, Means as well and was hurt at the end of last year, we saw Irvin as an issue as a starter, and Suarez was a huge question mark.

To me, I'd rather have the O's acquired another arm and pushed Wells into the bullpen where he belongs, Irvin in middle/long relief and Suarez as depth. I get that this Means was kind of in limbo, but remember Bradish went down with his first injury in February. There were still a number of starters available: Lorenzen, Montgomery, Brad Keller, Chase Anderson, Turnbull. Yeah none of those are exciting arms, but it was very much a gamble in that your 5 spot was a huge question mark. Basically it could only afford 1 spring training injury and then there were bigger issues down the line.

You've quoted 8 pitchers there, and that doesn't include Povich or McDermott, who were deep depth at the time, or the two starters he traded for at the deadline.  That's a dozen starters.  Name me another team w/ deeper depth than that, and/or another team that could withstand season ending injuries to its 2-5 starters - regardless of how predictable you may think those injuries were.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, OrioleintheATL said:

Blows my mind.  Few days because there is no advanced medical  technology available in the entire city?  Few days because the person reading the scan is on vacation in the Ozarks?  WTF is this acting like a third world operation?  This is big money, big business.  Get someone to determine what the scan said.  That's just stupid.  No way it takes three days to read a scan.  Lying.

You need to relax.  There could be swelling or any number of other reasons why the imaging is not yet clear.  They have zero reason to fully state the situation on the record less than 24 hours after they learned about it.  No one is 'lying'.  Jesus.

• Upvote 2

The thing about Lat Strains is that throwing has to cease completely and the only way to know whether or not it is healed is to... well... throw.

I'm all about being optimistic but a Grade 1 Lat Strain can take 2 - 5 weeks to heal. There's what, eight weeks or so left in the season? If he doesn't throw for four weeks and heals, it's probably going to take him two or three weeks to ramp up his pitch count to be able to pitch multiple innings in the final week going into the playoffs, if they can hold onto a spot. 

This is why they get more scans. If it's something truly mild, like the shoulder inflammation was in May, he may miss only a couple of starts. I do not have that optimism though. There is a history of injury to that exact part of his body, there was shoulder inflammation earlier this year that caused him to be IL'd... I just don't think that they will risk further issues with his shoulder for this year.

I could be wrong (I hope that I'm wrong) and he's learned more about his body to know when to shut it down before it becomes a thing and it turns out to be a best-case scenario but any setback whatsoever ends his season, including the playoffs. He won't throw for at least two weeks. If all is rosey in 14 days they will likely ease him back into work, perhaps as some have suggested, working out of the pen or limiting his innings as an opener but even then I wouldn't expect to see him again until September. This is one of those nagging things that if he comes back, I doubt that they'll waste pitches on a rehab stint but I guess we'll see. 

Edited by banks703
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

I do hold Elias accountable. Going into February, this was your rotation:

• Burnes
  • Bradish
  • Grayson
  • Kremer
  • Wells/Means/Irvin/Suarez

Wells has an injury history, Means as well and was hurt at the end of last year, we saw Irvin as an issue as a starter, and Suarez was a huge question mark.

To me, I'd rather have the O's acquired another arm and pushed Wells into the bullpen where he belongs, Irvin in middle/long relief and Suarez as depth. I get that this Means was kind of in limbo, but remember Bradish went down with his first injury in February. There were still a number of starters available: Lorenzen, Montgomery, Brad Keller, Chase Anderson, Turnbull. Yeah none of those are exciting arms, but it was very much a gamble in that your 5 spot was a huge question mark. Basically it could only afford 1 spring training injury and then there were bigger issues down the line.

You think Elias had the power to write checks without Angelos approval whose now obvious focus was to sell the team in the offseason? Not add payroll. — And none of the players listed would we want. Turnbull hurt, Montgomery a train wreck, Brad Keller? Chase Anderson? Lorenzen isn’t any better than Irvin/Saurez.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Winter said:

You think Elias had the power to write checks without Angelos approval whose now obvious focus was to sell the team in the offseason? Not add payroll. — And none of the players listed would we want. Turnbull hurt, Montgomery a train wreck, Brad Keller? Chase Anderson? Lorenzen isn’t any better than Irvin/Saurez.  

He could have expended more draft capital on pitchers over the years.

He created a lack of pitching depth by concentrating on accumulating position player depth.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He could have expended more draft capital on pitchers over the years.

He created a lack of pitching depth by concentrating on accumulating position player depth.

How many starting pitching options do you think a team should have coming into a season? 

I don’t disagree that the draft strategy will have to change moving forward. But it’s hard to argue that any pitching issues with this years team are due to drafting in any way. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

How many starting pitching options do you think a team should have coming into a season? 

I don’t disagree that the draft strategy will have to change moving forward. But it’s hard to argue that any pitching issues with this years team are due to drafting in any way. 

I'll argue that if they had expended more draft capital on pitchers that they might have had more ML ready depth to back fill the injuries.

Obviously it's a might, we can't say with any certainty how those theoretical pitchers would have developed.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'll argue that if they had expended more draft capital on pitchers that they might have had more ML ready depth to back fill the injuries.

Obviously it's a might, we can't say with any certainty how those theoretical pitchers would have developed.

To me, there’s no one to blame and we don’t need to look for reasons to blame Elias for this. Sometimes shit just happens and there’s no blame to place. 

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

To me, there’s no one to blame and we don’t need to look for reasons to blame Elias for this. Sometimes shit just happens and there’s no blame to place. 

I'm not blaming, just pointing out that other paths were available.

7 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Regardless of what the strategy is/was, there's no way a MLB club can reasonably address 3 starters on the opening day roster going on IL for TJ.  No way.  The fact that we are still in fisrt/second in the AL EAST is a testament to the team building of the GM.

I hate giving away young guys that we haven't really had the chance to audition correctly in Norby and Stowers, specifically, but Elias has done pretty good to "theoretically" make the team better and not completely lay waste to the farm.

Hope Grayson recovers.  Sounds like he will.