Your 2009 Jim Palmer Quotables Thread

Moose Milligan

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Palmer is great. He had one in the top of the 8th inning I forget what he said but it had my roomie laughing. I don't see how anyone could not like Palmer. Greatest O's pitcher in our history, yeah he's a little egotistical but to rephrase what Stan Musial said when he was asked why he was always smiling, you would be happy too if you had 268 wins. Musial said the same but with a 331 BA.

What's not to love? Some has-been blowhard reliving his glory moments night after night on TV?

Catfish Hunter was a great pitcher and sits right next to Palmer night after night and never have I heard him do this. He's a class act. Palmer's not.

What's not to love? Some has-been blowhard reliving his glory moments night after night on TV?

Catfish Hunter was a great pitcher and sits right next to Palmer night after night and never have I heard him do this. He's a class act. Palmer's not.

James Augustus "Catfish" Hunter (April 8, 1946–September 9, 1999)

???

Do you think the guy named Hunter on the O's broadcast is Catfish Hunter? Is that what you think? Or do I misunderstand?

This post is completely absurd on so many levels, I love it. Forget the fact that Catfish Hunter has been dead for a DECADE, just imagine Jim Hunter out there pitching for the Yankees.

Hah. Clueless.

That has-been blowhard is the best damn pitcher to ever wear an Orioles uniform and knows more about baseball than you or I combine will ever know.

From Wiki -

James Augustus "Catfish" Hunter (April 8, 1946–September 9, 1999), was a Major League Baseball right-handed starting pitcher between 1965 and 1979. He is one of 17 players to pitch a perfect game in an official Major League Baseball game. He was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1987.

Catfish Hunter has been dead for almost 10 years. Palmer's comments are better than some comments that I can find on the internet, like this one.

Guest rochester

Uh oh.:eektf:

Usually the piling on gets old but this one may be epic in proportions and interesting to read.

One of my favorites was last year on MASN's Hot Stove Show. Palmer is calling in, talking about how it is good to have so much competition between the minor league pitchers. He says how when he was at Aberdeen, all 4 starters were excellent and bucking for that next promotion. He then rattles off the W-L record of all 4 starters from his 1964 season at Aberdeen! Meanwhile Roch Kubatko and Tom Davis are shaking their heads like, "can you believe this guy still remembers this?"

The guy's memory is unbelievable. I love it when he starts rattling off pitch sequences from some game 30+ years ago.

He is uncanny with this stuff. At fanfest this year he did the same thing talking about his trip from the minors to the big legues. Told a great story about how his agent told him to say that his wife was pregnant to get a higher salary.

I know there is another Jim Palmer thread, but I'm pretty new to hearing him since I live out the Left Coast, and now finally subscribe to the MLB package.

Friday's game someone referred to they New York Yankees, who used to be the New York "Hilltoppers", who were the original Baltimore Orioles. I was practically screaming at Palmer to make a correction, but he didn't. Next day the Yankees were referred to, correctly, as being the New York Highlanders after moving from Baltimore.

There are times I love listening to Jim- like when he rode Eaton for walking the bases loaded with a 9-0 lead (and Jim was way to soft, imho). But then sometimes I scratch my head and wonder if Jim's really awake behind the microphone. Is Jim always like this? I get the feeling I'll find out rather soon, since I dvr every game to watch after work.

Lastly, what the heck are Hilltoppers? That must have been just a slip. I couldn't find anything from New York on that (although it is the name for Western Kentucky, and just may be the ugliest mascot of all time. :P )

Go O's!

sfosfan

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/history/ballparks.jsp

Hilltop Park

168th Street and Broadway, Manhattan

Capacity: 16,000 (plus up to 15,000 standing room)

Dimensions: Left field: 365 feet; center field: 542; right field: 400.

The site has been occupied by the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center since the 1920s.

The team was known as the Hilltoppers for the first several years it played at Hilltop Park. As early as 1905, however, the name "Yankees" began popping up in newspapers whose editors undoubtedly were searching for a shorter name for their headlines. By the time the franchise moved to the Polo Grounds in 1913, it officially changed to the New York Yankees.

Jim was right, folks.

Archived