Terry Crowley at today's Orioles hall of fame lunch

baloriole4

I've got nothing against Terry Crowley.   I think insulting the current Executive VP is a pretty dumb thing to do, but I don't think anyone will remember it a week from now.

I grew up watching the mid-70's teams and want to know what Terry Crowley did to warrant inclusion in the O's HOF?   Seems like a stretch to me.

28 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I grew up watching the mid-70's teams and want to know what Terry Crowley did to warrant inclusion in the O's HOF?   Seems like a stretch to me.

He spent over 30 years in the organization between his time as a player and his time as a coach.

Low class move by Crowley. He was a crotchety know it all back in the late 90s/2000s, and he wasn’t particularly great at shepherding the next crop of hitters and, to be quite frank, he managed to stick around during the worst runs of Orioles baseball. I have no idea why he’s being inducted into the O’s HOF and for him to pull that crap is so beyond the pale.

7 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He spent over 30 years in the organization between his time as a player and his time as a coach.

It's not an exclusive club.  Alomar played in Baltimore for three seasons and his time here is best remembered for him spitting on an ump.

7 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Low class move by Crowley. He was a crotchety know it all back in the late 90s/2000s, and he wasn’t particularly great at shepherding the next crop of hitters and, to be quite frank, he managed to stick around during the worst runs of Orioles baseball. I have no idea why he’s being inducted into the O’s HOF and for him to pull that crap is so beyond the pale.

If true it's a low class move to fire a long tendered coach that's fighting cancer to save a few bucks.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If true it's a low class move to fire a long tendered coach that's fighting cancer to save a few bucks.

I’m sorry, I’m having a tough time finding any evidence of him being in any official capacity since 2011. Short of Firestone posting in here today and even that isn’t very specific. 

3 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I’m sorry, I’m having a tough time finding any evidence of him being in any official capacity since 2011. Short of Firestone posting in here today and even that isn’t very specific. 

I did say if true.

I am certainly not blindly accepting something like that as accurate.  (That's not a slight on Roy for providing the information).

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I did say if true.

I am certainly not blindly accepting something like that as accurate.  (That's not a slight on Roy for providing the information).

More telling that Duquette said thanks but no thanks to him back in 2011/2012 in any FT capacity. Last real evidence we have is him being a roving instructor in 2011 and supposedly helping Chris Davis in 2014, but we have no idea if he was just bored and offering help or if he was contracted to do such.

I’d really like some real info here. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Was there any indication that he was let go to "save a few bucks", if he was even still with the organization when Elias took over?

If Elias DID let go of minor league coaching personnel when he took over, I would assume the primary reason would have been to replace them with people who fit Elias's organizational philosophy with regard to hitting, pitching, etc.    

Just now, SteveA said:

Was there any indication that he was let go to "save a few bucks", if he was even still with the organization when Elias took over?

If Elias DID let go of minor league coaching personnel when he took over, I would assume the primary reason would have been to replace them with people who fit Elias's organizational philosophy with regard to hitting, pitching, etc.    

I think "roving hitting coach" in his age bracket is pretty much an honorary job with a small stipend attached.  I highly doubt he was in a position to undermind the organization's philosophy.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think "roving hitting coach" in his age bracket is pretty much an honorary job with a small stipend attached.  I highly doubt he was in a position to undermind the organization's philosophy.

You keep throwing things out there.   Do you have anything?  Facts?  Rumors?   Anything?