Should Hyde win a second consecutive Manager of the Year?

Frobby

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Figured I’d see if anyone wanted to discuss how Hyde pulled all the rights strings in guiding the Orioles to victory over the Dodgers in game 1. 

Got away from Irvin at just the right time. Ramon strikes again. Bowman (can you imagine the second guessing if he got hit around in his second inning. Since the world was coming to end 6-0 loss to Houston, they have won 3 of 4 and the BP in those 3 wins 12 IP, 6 hits,0 runs. It helps when he gets some help. Lets hope he gets more.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Figured I’d see if anyone wanted to discuss how Hyde pulled all the rights strings in guiding the Orioles to victory over the Dodgers in game 1. 

That decision to pull Irvin in the 5th after 60 pitches was ballsy.  Let’s hope Burnes goes 7 tonight and the O’s score 10.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That decision to pull Irvin in the 5th after 60 pitches was ballsy.  Let’s hope Burnes goes 7 tonight and the O’s score 10.

It was, but it also made sense after Palmer described what was happening.  Getting to the third time in the lineup...I get the L/L matchup with Ohtani, but having Betts see him for the third time was asking for trouble.  

Not ideal to pull a starter after 60 pitches in the 5th especially with our bullpen, but with a guy that has stuff like Irvin and facing one of the best players in the game for the third time, I understood it.

29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It was, but it also made sense after Palmer described what was happening.  Getting to the third time in the lineup...I get the L/L matchup with Ohtani, but having Betts see him for the third time was asking for trouble.  

Not ideal to pull a starter after 60 pitches in the 5th especially with our bullpen, but with a guy that has stuff like Irvin and facing one of the best players in the game for the third time, I understood it.

Oh, I got it.  It easily could have blown up though.  Glad it didn’t.  

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

As my wife says, constantly, “the blind squirrel finds the nut.”

Sounds better in Chinese, though.

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Loved the bullpen management last night. The move to pinch run for Eloy didn't work out but was probably the right call. If Hyde had waited, Soto would have been able to pinch run for Urias in the 9th and he probably could have run on Kopech, but outcome would have been the same if Cowser K's. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

As my wife says, constantly, “the blind squirrel finds the nut.”

Sounds better in Chinese, though.

Ah, right...so when his moves don't work out or they backfire, that's an indictment on him being a bad manager.

But pulling the right strings is "a blind squirrel finding a nut."

Interesting standards, Phil.

Fantastic move by Hyde last night, and I'm saying that even if it didn't work out. No Orioles fan on planet Earth should want to see Cole Irvin face Mookie Betts for a third time. Hyde was like "this is a guaranteed 3-run homer" just like all the rest of us.  

• Upvote 2

I'm not a real fan of Hyde and usually feel that his decision making is a best often questionable and sometimes downright poor.  That said, last night he made all the right moves, and not just because they worked, but because they were smart moves, even if they would have ended up backfiring.  Clearly in a sport where failure is expected 70% of the time, moves aren't always going to work.  And I'm fine with that as long as the moves make sense.  But when the moves often vary between head scratching and mind numbing, it's hard to support them or who makes them.  But I have zero to really complain about last night from a game management standpoint.  One of his better managed games of the year IMO.

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ah, right...so when his moves don't work out or they backfire, that's an indictment on him being a bad manager.

But pulling the right strings is "a blind squirrel finding a nut."

Interesting standards, Phil.

Exactly, Quite correct. The players have to be good enough and then they have to perform. Remember when Joe Torre went from being a 14 year manager, with one division title, No playoff game wins , no 90 win seasons to getting the Yankee Job. ( as a reference to Dennis Erickson taking over From Jimy Johnson in 1989. Heres the keys to a Porche, Dont wreck it. 5 years later every yankee fan was telling you he was one of the greatest managers of all time.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Safelykept said:

Got away from Irvin at just the right time. Ramon strikes again. Bowman (can you imagine the second guessing if he got hit around in his second inning. Since the world was coming to end 6-0 loss to Houston, they have won 3 of 4 and the BP in those 3 wins 12 IP, 6 hits,0 runs. It helps when he gets some help. Lets hope he gets more.

I was completely in favor of letting Bowman come out for the next inning. I’ve been hoping Hyde would start letting his relievers throw more in a given outing. Akin was getting ready in the pen, and I applaud that as well, because Hyde was preparing for a meltdown that never came. 
I think Bowman will be fine.

Just to be clear, I started this thread following a hard-fought win as a tongue-in-cheek response to the "should Hyde be relieved of his duties" thread.   My question wasn't serious, as it's extremely rare for a manager to win the MOY award twice in a row even if he does a very good job. 

Long and short, I think Hyde is a very competent manager who is well-respected by his players and runs a good clubhouse.   I don't always agree with every in-game decision he makes, but that's been true of every manager the Orioles have ever had.    Plus, I think a lot of his usage patterns are influenced heavily by what the front office thinks, and aren't solely his personal whim.   So for me, the tone he sets in the clubhouse is the more important aspect in deciding whether he should remain as manager, and he gets very high grades there.   He is not "incompetent" during games as many arm-chair managers would like to suggest.   Is he perfect?   Nope, and we haven't had a perfect manager yet.