Brandon Hyde quote after loss to White Sox

Pat Kelly

14 hours ago, Punchandjudy said:

Buck up Roy…and most everyone else for that matter.  The regular season doesn’t matter at all anymore.  The Rangers weren’t the best team in their division last year, much less the AL, and certainly not in baseball yet they were the champs.  They got hot in the playoffs and won it all despite their crappy pen.  No reason this team can’t do that.  Get GRod back, Columbe, Westburg…Gunnar or Santander goes on an Adonis Garcia run.  Just get in the playoffs and roll the dice.  Marginal teams can win it all, the Rangers showed the world how it’s done.  Stop living and dying with every game. Those days died with playoff over-expansion.

I know lesser teams can win it all now because the the massively expanded playoffs.  I grew up with an American League East and West then the World Series.  I only remember divisional play.  I think there are way too many teams in the playoffs for my taste.  I know they are chasing TV money and money makes the world go round but I still dont really like it.  The best teams should be the only teams getting into the playoffs.  

• Upvote 1

well, if this team can just keep it together a couple more weeks and get healthy players back, like Grayson, Westburg, Urias and Coulombe….. I think they will have as good a shot as anybody. 

Now, that’s asking a lot I know, but it is all in the realm of possibility. IMO, Westburg is the key here. When Westy went down this team lost its gritty edge. 

Just now, Gurgi said:

I know lesser teams can win it all now because the the massively expanded playoffs.  I grew up with an American League East and West then the World Series.  I only remember divisional play.  I think there are way too many teams in the playoffs for my taste.  I know they are chasing TV money and money makes the world go round but I still dont really like it.  The best teams should be the only teams getting into the playoffs.  

It's not just about the TV money, it's about fans packing it in in droves when it's August first and their team is effectively out of the playoffs.

1 hour ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Once again, Hyde didn't get a hit, draw a walk, score a run, or even lean into a pitch to help this team.  Disgusting!  

I really think it's time he got benched.

• Haha 1

I think the people who are reacting very strongly to a single loss to the White Sox are just frustrated that the team hasn’t generated any real forward momentum for more than 2.5 months.   It’s not really about the White Sox.  And I get it.  21 games remaining, and you’d like to be playing a few weeks of solid winning baseball before the season ends.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SteveA said:

You didn't even mention Mountcastle and Urias, and that Kremer isn't on the IL but might not be able to make his start tomorrow!

I only mentioned the good players. lol I keed, I keed.

But you're right, it's been one thing after another this season so far. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think the people who are reacting very strongly to a single loss to the White Sox are just frustrated that the team hasn’t generated any real forward momentum for more than 2.5 months.   It’s not really about the White Sox.  And I get it.  21 games remaining, and you’d like to be playing a few weeks of solid winning baseball before the season ends.  

In 1962 the Mets went 40-120. The Giants won 103 games but lost to the Mets four times. The Dodgers won 102 games and lost to the Mets twice.

In 1899 the Cleveland Spiders had been stripped of all their good players by the St. Louis Cardinals, who were owned by the same people. They infamously went 20-134. They beat the 95-win Boston Beaneaters three times. They beat the 94 win Phillies twice, and the 86-win Orioles twice.

The 1916 A's went 36-117-1. They beat the pennant-winning Red Sox six times. The second place White Sox four times, and the third place Tigers four times. On both August 22nd and September 18th they shut out Ty Cobb, Sam Crawford and Harry Heilmann's team.

It's frustrating, but it's baseball. This isn't football where your promising team goes down to Vanderbilt on the first day of the season and that's it, wait for next year.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is definitely a part of it.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not just about the TV money, it's about fans packing it in in droves when it's August first and their team is effectively out of the playoffs.

Right, it's the weakness of the One Trophy model of North American sports. Without a bunch of teams in the playoffs half the teams and their fans are essentially done for the year by the All Star break.

In '67 the Giants won 91 games but finished 10 games behind the Cards, and were 10+ games back from August 12th on. By the end of the year they had a streak of five consecutive home games where they drew under 7000 fans to see Willie Mays and Willie McCovey play ball because the season had been over for two months. I'd bet a lot more than 2818 fans would have showed up on September 25th if there'd have been a wildcard.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

This.