WC Playoff roster vs KC

eddie83

30 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Selby over Bowman the only surprise.

Royals going with 11 pitchers, while we are going with 12.

They have a stronger bullpen without as many situational arms, so makes sense for them. Especially since their top 3 starting rotation arms can routinely go deep.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Selby over Bowman is a bit of a surprise, but Selby has looked good in his few outings with us and was with KC at the start of the season, so maybe he's here to give any inside information about the team. Who knows. I kind of feel bad for Bowman though since he's pitched well here besides that awful outing against the Yankees. 

But hey, it's the last reliever role so can't really fret over it. 

They almost certainly won't need 12 pitchers in the ALDS if they make it that far, with off days after games 1, 2, and 4.

21 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Pasquantino in. Interesting x factor to see how he looks coming in with no rehab after a month off. 

He was one of the guys I didn’t want to see. I really hope he’s rusty. The Royals now have 4 guys that can hurt you in Witt, Perez, Massey, and Pasq. The other issue with Pasq being back is he’s a lefty. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Burnes and Eflin do their jobs well enough, that statement might actually apply to Dean Kremer, if necessary, Thursday.

The bullpen's gas tank could be anywhere around sundown tomorrow.

I know you know, but we gotta adjust from just to cover innings over 162 to playoff time. We won’t need more than Burnes, Eflin, Coloumbe, Cano, and Dominguez. Maybe one of Akin/Perez. 

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Selby over Bowman is a bit of a surprise, but Selby has looked good in his few outings with us and was with KC at the start of the season, so maybe he's here to give any inside information about the team. Who knows. I kind of feel bad for Bowman though since he's pitched well here besides that awful outing against the Yankees. 

But hey, it's the last reliever role so can't really fret over it. 

I reckon it’s because Bowman is a contact guy. I know his strikeout rate was 8 with the O’s, but historically he’s been more of a 7 SO/9, so Selby does bring more of the strikeout potential. Although, ideally, you don’t want either of those guys pitching in the playoffs. But hey, maybe Selby ends up being That Guy for us.

Edited by LookitsPuck

17 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I think Suarez deserved to be on the roster!!  He was an important pitcher in helping us make the playoffs!

If this series goes 3 games and the Orioles happen to win it, Suarez will start game 1 in NY. This is not some slight against him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

Still a little confused by how Suarez was handled. 

I guess they are telegraphing that he is SP4 if needed for the longer haul of October, and they only want him to start not relieve? 

Me too. I just can't understand how you burn him through the WC round for a meaningless game on Sunday. There had to be other options. You got to make it through the WC round before worrying about who starts in the ALDS. 

Edited by MCO'sFan

5 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Me too. I just can't understand how you burn him through the WC round for a meaningless game on Sunday. There had to be other options. You got to make it through the WC round before worrying about who starts in the ALDS. 

Suarez had a 6.20 ERA in Sept. Kremer 2.25. They are riding the hot hands going into a 3 game series. Suarez has shown his stuff doesn't play up out of the pen, he actually threw softer than when he was starting. More than half of his homers this year were in the past 30 days. He will help the team if they move on to the next round.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

If the wild card goes 3 games and the Orioles win and you started Burnes, Eflin, Kremer and used Suarez in relief - who are you starting Saturday? Povich? The Orioles decided that Suarez will start Saturday's game if they win in 3. Putting him on the roster for the wild card would waste a spot.

4 minutes ago, BobP said:

If the wild card goes 3 games and the Orioles win and you started Burnes, Eflin, Kremer and used Suarez in relief - who are you starting Saturday? Povich? The Orioles decided that Suarez will start Saturday's game if they win in 3. Putting him on the roster for the wild card would waste a spot.

Right. People need to use their noggin a little bit. 

28 minutes ago, Malike said:

If this series goes 3 games and the Orioles happen to win it, Suarez will start game 1 in NY. This is not some slight against him.

I thin this is definitely the reason. They want Suarez to start that next series assuming it goes to 3 and the Orioles win. Kremer has earned the right to start game 3 if necessary with his pitching in September.