Still think this team didn't choke under pressure?

Tony-OH

57 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

I don't really consider it choking when a team that has struggled for several months loses two games in a row.  The O's went 29-37 since July 7 (the date when they tied their best W/L margin for the season).  The offense had showed the ability to go utterly MIA some time after the All Star Break.  This was just more of that.

You do know that this is not just because of just two games, right? The two games were just a culmination of the concerns that many of us were highlighting over the second half. 

• Upvote 1

Brandon Lowe to me is a good example of how I think playoff nerves and previous performances can have a big impact a player. Regular season 16.0 WAR, OPS of .812.....pretty solid and consistent player across the board over his 7 seasons.

But in the postseason over 120 plate appearances, he is a .115 hitter with an OPS of .423.  120 plate appearances is not that small of a postseason sample size all things considered, and what I wonder about with a guy like him is how much pressure he puts on himself to come through after failing in the past. And I can see it just building on itself.  

Adam Jones was a very poor postseason player relative to his regular season accomplishments, but his 63 plate appearances were a lot less than Lowe.  

David Ortiz was a beast in the regular season and a beast in the playoffs, so really he was a guy who was able to perform just as well under big pressure as he did in the regular season.