Elias and Hyde address the media today

Sports Guy

Anything short of the hitting coaches being unemployed this morning and that the organization's offensive approach will be completely overhauled this off season I would consider to be a complete waste of a press conference.

Maybe the proverbial announcement that Adley has been injured or having had health issues that will be addressed in the off season might be of use as well.

28 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Luck and chance that the entire lineup decided the all star break was the end of the season and we really didn't need to hit anymore. That's not just luck and chance. Something happened. It might have been a clubhouse thing that Hyde couldn't get under control. It might have been other teams adjusting to our hitting approach and we never readjusted. Maybe we have players with no stamina (Adley, Gunnar, etc...) and need a better conditioning program. There is something deeper going on. Even that last game, Hyde managed scared, pulling Efflin after 4 innings with only one run allowed. The players could see that too and it affected them. 

Gunnar had a MVP type season. 

He didn’t manage scared. He managed aggressively which you should do with the season on the line. 

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

You evidence is no less anecdotal than the evidence that others are providing.  You may say there is no such thing as clutch, I think it is rare but exists.  But there is definitely anti-clutch.  Guys can get in their own heads and choke under the pressure.  It needs to be looked at as to whether this is what is happening.

If clutch is a thing, why does it need to be a clutch situation for the player to play at that level?

Is it really clutch or an inability to focus in non-clutch situations?

Edited by Can_of_corn

Re: "clutch"

I don't think it's controversial to suggest that the human body is capable of functioning at a higher level in certain situations due to the rush of adrenaline that comes with it. That rush of adrenaline can also have a negative effect if it's not handled and managed properly on a mental/psychological level. It can cause someone to crumble just as it can cause someone to temporarily wield extraordinary ability that is above and beyond what they are normally capable of.

Someone elsewhere mentioned Derek Jeter and how he didn't perform any better in the postseason than he did any other time. Mariano Rivera had a career 2.21 in the regular season while having a 0.70 in the postseason. Clutch does exist and is a thing IMO. It's a mental skill that allows for control over your emotions during adrenaline fueled situations. Not being able to do this means you fail spectacularly most of the time. I think there is a range here. The better you are at these psychological management processes, the more extraordinary your performance will be.

"disappointing second half"  "need time to understand apparent shortcomings"

"AR is a catcher and he's tired, so is everyone else"

"everyone is frustrated at his struggles.  I have nothing but confidence he'll return to good AR in 2025"

"there is no AR injury"

Edited by Ripken

"thought we were good when everyone came back and then punched in the stomach again."

"do our damndest to adjust and course correct.  my responsibility to put us in a different/better position."

"corbin more than held up his end of the bargain"  "shame we didn't take advantage of him"  "tremendously impressive"

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I will never understand why they can't provide a mic to the guys asking the questions in these press conferences.  Not just the Orioles, but basically every press conference, ever.

Or do what most speakers do and repeat the question before answering.