Questioning MacPhail's moves...

NewMarketSean

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not that we signed Hendrickson as a BP/swingman arm that I have a problem with. It's worked out until now. It's that AM targeted Hendrickson because of his perceived strike-throwing value. Up until now, Hendrickson has been getting lucky. He allows too many runners on base and throws too many pitches.
His job is to get through 5-6 innings most starts for the first two months of the season. That was all he was brought in to do, after that he'll be in the bullpen.

Eaton was brought in to do the same thing, and after that he doesn't even get a bullpen spot, he'll just be cut.

If we can find someone better, go do it, and I'll say again that I really wish they had thrown a few more 1/$4M contract type offers around to find some better 1-year stop gaps, but I would much rather watch these losers pitch and us struggle this year than be committed to guys who I think are going to be awful next year (Looper, Redding, and guys like that) for huge money.

As for Eaton, Waters and Pauley could be doing better right now. There was no need to sign another terrible veteran SP with some of the AAAA arms we had in the minors and it would have freed up some of the logjam that is going on down there currently.
I agree with this. I'd rather see Waters up than Eaton. Pauley I'm not so sure. I'd rather have Eaton than Penn, though.

My take is that Freel is now not needed, but at the time he was acquired, we didn't have Wiggenton, Andino or Pie. And taking him enabled the team to get rid of Ramon, which was well worth it.

As others have said, Eaton is a place holder. Doesn't cost much, and if he keeps bombing, nothing lost to release him. I will add, I don't understand him. He has times where he looks really good, striking out a fair number of hitters. The talent is there, but seems to lose it for awhile.

Hendrickson will soon be a long man, nothing more.

We should revisit this thread at the end of May to see how things have changed.

My take is that Freel is now not needed, but at the time he was acquired, we didn't have Wiggenton, Andino or Pie. And taking him enabled the team to get rid of Ramon, which was well worth it.
I agree with this. Freel was a nice acquisition when we got him, but then MacPhail went out and improved upon him. I like a lot of things about that move. MacPhail found a guy that was useful in return for Ramon and then once he had him, he didn't sit on his hands and say 'We've got that position covered' when an upgrade fell into his lap.

But at this point, I think the only reason Freel is still here is because they think they'll be able to trade him in a little while. Montanez or Salazar make much more sense for the club at this point (assuming Jones' injury is a non-issue now).

Speaking of which, that may be the biggest issue -- AAA. Not sure how long they have been in Norfolk, but from what I hear it is a pitcher's park by all means. It is the opposite when you get to OPACY. The numbers won't always translate to each other. I fully agree with your point, just wasn't sure what everyone thought of what I stated here.

This is the Tides' third season as an Orioles affiliate. Previously, the Orioles were affiliated with the Ottawa Lynx (2003-2006) and Rochester Red Wings (1961-2002). I don't know how any of those parks translated to Baltimore's home grounds (except it was COLD in Ottawa). IIRC, the Tides have moved the fences in this season.

I just don't know how you can say this with a straight face.
I think Eaton will be a better starter this year than Penn would have here.

Penn may right himself with a change of scenery, but I was completely done with the possibility of him ever being able to be successful if he had started in Baltimore this season.

I don't think Hendrickson was signed to "throw strikes"; I think he was signed as a long reliever who could start in a pinch and unfortunately we were pinched immediately. So even though I was split on the move (didn't mind the player, didn't like the contract), I don't think that's a "bad" move like you're trying to suggest.

Even with the Penn trade, it's early and Andino so far in his limited time hasn't looked too bad. But, I think that can stay.

The other two...yeah, they aren't good.

I completely agree...Hendrickson was never meant to be in the rotation on opening day...and I like what I've seen from Andino so far...

I agree with this. I'd rather see Waters up than Eaton. Pauley I'm not so sure. I'd rather have Eaton than Penn, though.

I'd rather not have any of them. I think all four are 6.50 ERA pitchers as starters for the Orioles. They're all replacement level or worse. I guess if we lived in a world where they were the only options I'd take Pauley or Penn, but my real choice would be "next guy that came down the waiver wire, unless you want to call up a real prospect."

Adam Eaton wan't targeted. It was an outstanding move to sign a guy who has previously had considerable success as a big league pitcher (how do you think he drew that monster contract from the Phillies?) to a MINOR LEAGUE deal. He made the roster only because nobody beat him out. But that will change soon enough, and with the minimum possible contractual impact.

It's really disappointing that no matter how many times certain myths are busted people will still spout them.

Should we bring in Adam and Jamie to point out the numbers again or would everyone pay more attention to Kari from her FHM shoot?

It's really disappointing that no matter how many times certain myths are busted people will still spout them.

Should we bring in Adam and Jamie to point out the numbers again or would everyone pay more attention to Kari from her FHM shoot?

She had an FHM shoot? Google image search here I come.

Nothing wrong with questioning MacPhail's moves. Even those of us who think he's done a good overall job, question his moves. I didn't like the Eaton signing and I thought Penn should have been kept. In the grand scheme of things, that's nitpicking.

That's the crux of it right there. It's like we're waiting for construction of a new house to be completed, and we're arguing about what kind of apartment to rent in the meantime. Once we're in the new house, that house is all that matters, and nobody will care about the apartment rental.

Nothing wrong with questioning MacPhail's moves. Even those of us who think he's done a good overall job, question his moves. I didn't like the Eaton signing and I thought Penn should have been kept. In the grand scheme of things, that's nitpicking. Penn is unlikely to be anything more than a decent bullpen guy in the majors. Eaton will be replaced soon enough. The grand plan is working just fine. When's the last time the O's had a talented (go ahead and make your jokes) young LF with 1 (Montanez not exactly young) or 2 (Reimold) pushing him for the job? The O's have actually accumulated some depth. We actually have choices. Do we resign Huff or see if Snyder is ready? Can Scott switch to 1B and Reimold go to DH? Can Montanez play 1B?

This is the perspective I have as well. Even if keeping Penn were the right move, the upside seems kind of limited and it is likely to prove to be a small mistake at worst. And the Eaton move is so inconsequential to our future that it's not worth getting worked up about.

AM's moves have very limited downside, IMO, especially relative to what we have plucked from other organizations.

I disagree with the OP on all counts.

Adam Eaton wan't targeted. It was an outstanding move to sign a guy who has previously had considerable success as a big league pitcher (how do you think he drew that monster contract from the Phillies?) to a MINOR LEAGUE deal. He made the roster only because nobody beat him out. But that will change soon enough, and with the minimum possible contractual impact.

http://masnsports.com/2009/03/post-game-words-and-wisdom.html

"The release surprised us some because we had intended to see him if he pitched this spring," team president Andy MacPhail said. "We wanted to make sure our scouts went in and saw him. He was on our target list, but since he was available today, we put in a call as soon as we knew he was released. A couple of other clubs clearly had interest, but they must have weighed the opportunity as one that made sense for us.

"We're pleased. It's an opportunity to add a veteran starter. Last year, he had 19 starts, 10 of which were quality starts. It's something that's appealing to us. It represents a low-risk opportunity to have a veteran that we can evaluate to see if it makes sense to us going forward."

It does look like Eaton was "targeted" to some degree.

Archived