Arrieta isn't getting deep into games

Frobby

I'm a little concerned about Arrieta's inability to get deep into games so far this year. So far his outings have been 4, 5, 3, 6, 3.1 and 5 innings. The 3 inning game was due to a rain delay interruption, so I don't hold that against him. But still, he's only gone beyond 5 innings once in 6 starts. By contrast, Patton has thrown 6 innings three times in 5 starts, and reached or exceeded 5 innings the other two times. Brandon Erbe reached 6 IP twice in his four starts.

What's the story here? High pitch counts? Are they protecting him due to his groin injury? In any event, I'd like to see him going deeper into games.

I'm a little concerned about Arrieta's inability to get deep into games so far this year. So far his outings have been 4, 5, 3, 6, 3.1 and 5 innings. The 3 inning game was due to a rain delay interruption, so I don't hold that against him. But still, he's only gone beyond 5 innings once in 6 starts. By contrast, Patton has thrown 6 innings three times in 5 starts, and reached or exceeded 5 innings the other two times. Brandon Erbe reached 6 IP twice in his four starts.

What's the story here? High pitch counts? Are they protecting him due to his groin injury? In any event, I'd like to see him going deeper into games.

Again, nothing new. Lots of strikeouts, some walks, etc. You do not go as long. He did the same in Frederick. Tillman does the same thing.

Again, nothing new. Lots of strikeouts, some walks, etc. You do not go as long. He did the same in Frederick. Tillman does the same thing.

It seems a little worse this year for Arrieta, at least so far. Last year he went 113 IP in 20 starts, which is 5.65 IP/start. He had quite a few 6 and 7 inning starts in there so far as I recall.

It seems a little worse this year for Arrieta, at least so far. Last year he went 113 IP in 20 starts, which is 5.65 IP/start. He had quite a few 6 and 7 inning starts in there so far as I recall.
How many were this early in the season though? We're talking about his first 6 starts. I think part of the reason could be he is still getting stretched out this season in terms of pitch counts and durability.

He also is overcoming a pulled groin (?) from a previous start as well. I think rain and pitch count early on is factoring in. And Akron is a MLB lineup traveling a Double-A schedule.

Last season though, Arrieta went 4.0 innings and like 2.0 innings in his first two starts before a 5.2 inning outing and 7 straight outings of 6-8 innings of work.

He also is overcoming a pulled groin (?) from a previous start as well. I think rain and pitch count early on is factoring in. And Akron is a MLB lineup traveling a Double-A schedule.

Last season though, Arrieta went 4.0 innings and like 2.0 innings in his first two starts before a 5.2 inning outing and 7 straight outings of 6-8 innings of work.

Yeah, you have to protect these kids a bit more early in the season when the weather is still cold too. A game in early May might be 50 degrees at game time, where a game in July might be 80 at game time. Always better to be safe than sorry when you are dealing with a strikeout guy (they throw more pitches).

Yeah, I mentioned the rain shortened start and the groin pull in the opening post. Hopefully he will start getting deeper into games soon.

Yeah, I mentioned the rain shortened start and the groin pull in the opening post. Hopefully he will start getting deeper into games soon.

I wouldn't worry about it until June/July. Im sure there have been damp games that didn't get delayed that they would take into consideration of taking him out early.

What's the story here?

Maybe they're trying to win. Just kidding. Sort of.

At a glance, he's about 25th in ERA and about 32nd in WHIP in the Eastern League. I'm guessing they're working on some other things besides innings.

Maybe they're trying to win. Just kidding. Sort of.

At a glance, he's about 25th in ERA and about 32nd in WHIP in the Eastern League. I'm guessing they're working on some other things besides innings.

Really he just had one bad start. In his first 4 starts his ERA was 2.00. Then the one bad start, then last night's game.

Really he just had one bad start. In his first 4 starts his ERA was 2.00. Then the one bad start, then last night's game.

Yeah, he's done well enough. He's not quite a finished starting product yet from appearances. I think a lot of us had him MLB ready 11 months from now. It's not looking quite as slam a dunk.

Yeah, he's done well enough. He's not quite a finished starting product yet from appearances. I think a lot of us had him MLB ready 11 months from now. It's not looking quite as slam a dunk.

Ehh, he might not be a lock, but that's because the O's promote slowly. His appearances this year have been good, minus one of them. It's been a weird few weeks, but I'll bet his numbers are pretty fabulous by July.

It's been a weird few weeks, but I'll bet his numbers are pretty fabulous by July.

They might have to be in order to thrive in this system. A Confederate buck says they take another #1 starting pitcher in a month, and tighten the race for Baltimore even more.

Bergesen's probably entrenched until dislodged. Patton and Hill are about to be that giant flushing sound that eliminates Eaton and Henderson from the rotation. Berken's turn is apparently coming. Tillman's probably in next spring with the numbers he's putting up. Hernandez is lurking on the edge.

Matusz had to rattle anybody competing directly with him the other day. If that was for real, Arrieta will be sharing a stat sheet with him in a month. That could be a tough comp.

It might be getting to where you have to beat down the door. This is good if you're looking from our couch seats.

Arrieta is going tonight and starting out strong.

2 ip 1h 0r 1bb 4k

If he keeps this up he'll drop his ERA below 3.

I'm streaming it. Sounds like he's pretty erratic. He's been behind on a lot of hitters and can't seem to put the ball where he wants it. Sounds like the batters are having as much trouble hitting his stuff as he is throwing it though. The radio announcers keeps talking about how he doesn't seem to have very good command tonight. I believe his pitch count it getting up there as well. If I hear where he's at, I'll post it.

Archived