Is the front office doing enough to close the gap on NY and Boston?

bigbird

Are we getting closer in the standings to NY and Boston.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Are we getting closer in the standings to NY and Boston.

• Yes we are closing the gap with NY and Boston
    • No we're not closing the gap

Did you not learn anything from watching Tampa Bay go from awful to the World Series in one year? They were terrible in 2007 and great in 2008 with very little overall change to the roster.

2B - Iwamura; Wigginton

SS - Bartlett; Harris

3B - Longoria, Iwamura

RF - Gross, Young

DH - Floyd; Norton

SP - Garza; Hammel

CL - Percival; Reyes

RP - Howell; Glover

RP - Wheeler; Fossum

RP - Balfour; Stokes

RP - Miller; Camo

Other than adding the ROY at third base, a new shortstop, a new rightfielder, a new starter, a new closer, four relievers, for a total of about 1/3 of the roster, very little was done alright.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reimold came up on fire, but he came up on a team that is constantly losing and now his fire is starting to wane. It has nothing to do with a slump and much more to do with realizing his hard work will always be in vain with this squad.

MSK

Wow, I hope that's sarcasm.

Wow, I hope that's sarcasm.
I doubt it's sarcasm. More like :bs: IMO. There are two questions here; are we doing enough? No, you can never do enough until the gap is closed. Are we closing the gap. Yes, since AM took over, we are.

2B - Iwamura; Wigginton

SS - Bartlett; Harris

3B - Longoria, Iwamura

RF - Gross, Young

DH - Floyd; Norton

SP - Garza; Hammel

CL - Percival; Reyes

RP - Howell; Glover

RP - Wheeler; Fossum

RP - Balfour; Stokes

RP - Miller; Camo

Other than adding the ROY at third base, a new shortstop, a new rightfielder, a new starter, a new closer, four relievers, for a total of about 1/3 of the roster, very little was done alright.

Swapping Gross for Young in RF didn't make much of a difference production wise and Percival's numbers weren't much better than Reyes'. Obviously Garza and Bartlett turned out to be huge acquisitions and Longo's production was huge as well.

But at the same time, I look at that and think they didn't make some huge FA purchase. They made a smart trade, promoted a young star, signed Cliff Floyd and sured up their bull pen. They had the talent base, and made smart moves to push them over the top..

We've obviously built up our talent base immensely over the last three seasons. 2011 is the year many are pointing to now and I agree. There seems to be a guarantee of growing pains for our young guys. But you never know, the Oakland A's always rookie pitchers always seem to perform right away, what if we could be so lucky?? :D

Archived