Oscar goes to..The Padres for RP Cla Meredith

pasadena

Reputations don't matter all that much. It's a pretty simple deal, it's basically a solid trade for both sides. We trade a 31 year old journeyman bit part at probably his peak value for an ok reliever that they don't want, who also happens to have an option remaining. They get a guy who can hit and can nominally play a lot of positions where they've had injuries and poor performance.

But this can't be TGO...somebody HAS to win in a trade! :rolleyes:

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go ahead and laugh but Towers' Gonzalez and Young trade from Texas was a ripoff of epic proportions...

The guy isn't one of the most respected GM's in the game for nothing...

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/blog_article/padres-make-another-baffling-trade/

One guy thinks your wrong.... well sort of... he agrees Towers has been great, just not lately.

It just makes it all the more baffling why the Padres felt that dealing a cost-controllable centerfielder who has proven he can send the ball out of Petco Park for three highly questionable arms made sense, only to turn around and convert a valuable commodity in Meredith into, essentially, someone who will register as a blip on the radar in the Padres' history. Sure, Salazar could play an iffy second base until David Eckstein gets back to the team, but is that really what the Padres need?

No. They need young hittng and young pitching. I may not have been a fan of the Hairston trade, but at least they stuck to the model. They certainly didn't stick to it this time.

On Baltimore's side, they get a 26-year old groundball machine who can be their new Chad Bradford. He'll find the going a bit more tough back in the AL East, but there's no question the Orioles made out in the trade. Yes, Meredith is more valuable to them given their ballpark, but wouldn't that mean the Padres could have gotten more in return?

I'm beginning to think the great Kevin Towers has lost his touch. That's not necessarily an indictment on him; sometimes if you stay in one place too long, you lose your touch.

But this can't be TGO...somebody HAS to win in a trade! :rolleyes:

Well, if anyone did indeed win, it was us. I'm baffled as to how JTrea could think that Towers so clearly "won" this deal, but hey, that's JTrea.

Still wondering how to "block" certain posters. Any help is appreciated.

Click on User CP (top left of the forum screen). On the left hand side there should be a link that says "Edit Ignore List."

Still wondering how to "block" certain posters. Any help is appreciated.
Click on User CP (top left of the forum screen). On the left hand side there should be a link that says "Edit Ignore List."

Has limitations though which make it useless to me.

Thanks..... Good Bye Trea. Don't worry about me ever refuting your nonsensical comments with logic and fact any longer. I wave the white flag, enjoy your empty victory.

I think it's safe to say that there is more opportunity to pinch hit the NL than there is in the AL. With the fair number of corner-position prospects in the San Diego system, I'd be surprised if Salazar ends-up as any sort of long-term solution anywhere. I think he'll be a useful piece for them for a year or two, but likely not when they are competing again.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a chance to pick up Salazar in the offseason off of the waiver wire.

This seems like as good a time as any to ask this question...

I've been trying to figure out how to put JTrea on blocked for a while but can't figure it out. It's probably something simple (much like Trea's mind). Any help would be appreciated so I never have to read another one of OHs all-time greatest trolls again.

Just use ignore. As for Trea, he is not waht i call a troll. He jsut ahs different ideas. He will stick to his guns. I don't beleive there is any need ot be insultung to anyone.

Archived