New Brandon Snyder thread.

Gurgi

This seems to be a good time to start the new thread. Snyder has brought his average up to .280 in Norfolk. After a real struggle for the first month.

I think he is proving that he can flat out hit for average. He will probably hit around .290 over a season in Baltimore. The power is still suspect but I belive he might be capable of 25 bombs in some seasons.

I think we have our first baseman of the future. We should treat him like we did Reimold this year. Start him in AAA next year and if he proves he is worthy then bring him up after a month or so.

Use Wiggington at 1st till Snyder comes up?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This seems to be a good time to start the new thread. Snyder has brought his average up to .280 in Norfolk. After a real struggle for the first month.

I think he is proving that he can flat out hit for average. He will probably hit around .290 over a season in Baltimore. The power is still suspect but I belive he might be capable of 25 bombs in some seasons.

I think we have our first baseman of the future. We should treat him like we did Reimold this year. Start him in AAA next year and if he proves he is worthy then bring him up after a month or so.

Use Wiggington at 1st till Snyder comes up?

Honestly, I think .290 is what we would see in his rookie season. IMO hes gonna be the type of hitter like Markakis who is annually a .300 hitter. And Im not worrying about his power #'s, definately think 25 HR's is a good projection for him. If he was still in Bowie, AKA a hitter's park like OPACY, hed be touching 18 to 19 HR's right now. As mentioned numerous times here, Norfolk is hitters hell to right field where the wind is blowing in off the water...

Snyder is our 1B of the future, I expect James Loney or Billy Butler production from him. 300Avg with 20HR.

Alot of people wrote him off after his slow start but the guy has shown that given time he will adjust.

Now lets just hope Josh Bell is the real deal and we could already have our corners of the future in our system.

Snyder is our 1B of the future, I expect James Loney or Billy Butler production from him. 300Avg with 20HR.

Alot of people wrote him off after his slow start but the guy has shown that given time he will adjust.

Now lets just hope Josh Bell is the real deal and we could already have our corners of the future in our system.

Yes I agree, Josh Bell is the one Im more concerned about between the 2. I am confident in Snyder being at the very least a solid 1B, which I consider solid atleast .290 20 90.

And as many here have said before, Adrian Gonzalez was just like Snyder coming up without much pop, atleast not as much as he has now. And now look at him, hes a monster.

Yes I agree, Josh Bell is the one Im more concerned about between the 2. I am confident in Snyder being at the very least a solid 1B, which I consider solid atleast .290 20 90.

And as many here have said before, Adrian Gonzalez was just like Snyder coming up without much pop, atleast not as much as he has now. And now look at him, hes a monster.

Interesting take on Snyder vs. Bell considering most of the scouting reports that I've read suggest the opposite - ie., that Bell is the better prospect. I'm a big Snyder fan and hope he makes those scouts look as wrong as Reimold has.

I don't think so. Unless you're seeing something I'm not.

Well, I'm looking at it as if we're not re-signing Huff after this season....Aubrey has good defensive skills from what I've read and he's hit the ball with power before (just needs to stay healthy) and could platoon with Snyder.

BTW, it looks like Snyder is starting to get things back in gear at AAA which is great news.

Anyone here think that Snyder won't make it at the ML level? Glad to hear he's adjusting but I'm curious to hear from posters with other perspectives... trying not to be a doomsayer but I'm still a bit skeptical but haven't seen enough to feel strongly either way.:confused:

Anyone here think that Snyder won't make it at the ML level? Glad to hear he's adjusting but I'm curious to hear from posters with other perspectives... trying not to be a doomsayer but I'm still a bit skeptical but haven't seen enough to feel strongly either way.:confused:

What have you seen from Snyder in the past year and a half that would make you skeptical?

And what is your threshold for "making it?" Replacement level? All-Star? There is nothing in his record from Frederick through Bowie and Norfolk to suggest that he can't be a regular MLB player, with at least an overall value comparable to Kevin Millar in his better seasons. Whether Snyder is good enough to be a significant player--say, Sean Casey or Paul O'Neill--is up in the air.

I think that when Snyder comes up, most of us here will be surprised at what a solid hitter he is. But I'm bullish on him.

Interesting take on Snyder vs. Bell considering most of the scouting reports that I've read suggest the opposite - ie., that Bell is the better prospect. I'm a big Snyder fan and hope he makes those scouts look as wrong as Reimold has.

My understanding is that Bell is supposed to have a higher ceiling, but Snyder is more of a sure thing.

My big question: How good is Snyder's glove supposed to be? How good is he defensively?

My understanding is that Bell is supposed to have a higher ceiling, but Snyder is more of a sure thing.

My big question: How good is Snyder's glove supposed to be? How good is he defensively?

Snyder makes more errors than a 1B should. However, Dave Stockstill has said he's very good at picking balls out of the dirt. I suspect that his defense won't wow anyone, but it won't keep him off the field, either.

Fair enough. Though I had hoped for more considering he's a converted 3B.

Actually he is a converted catcher. Third was just a position they try him out at once in a while.

I hear he played SS in high school. But doesnt everyone play SS in highschool?

Errors tie directly into fielding percentage. I think we can agree on that. Casey Kotchman, slick fielding 1B, had a career minor league fielding pct. of .993 at 1B. Snyder, in his 3rd full year at 1B has progressed from .982 in 2007, to .986 in 2008, to a .990 in 2009. Clearly, there is a positive progression going on.

As there should be. I wish I knew more about how well Snyder handles various kinds of plays -- is he good at starting DPs, how is his range, etc. It was nice to hear about the play he made up at Fenway yesterday, that's encouraging.

Archived