New Brandon Snyder thread.

Gurgi

But not as valuable as Teixeira.:laughlol: And there's the rub. You pretty much have to match up position by position with those other teams, and see where you come out. You can't come out behind every time. We do. We project to continue. 'Cept pitching, and that's always a maybe. People who can sign Sabathia or Burnett every year are hard to catch.

Regarding power hitting. If everybody else can do it, they're gonna beat our small ball butt. No defensing the long ball. That's why moneyball Earl loved the three run homer. That quote above projects Snyder to hit less doubles than Tex hits homers. That comp just won't work. We are outgunned at almost every position, and projecting another case as somehow a positive.

It gets so old having to defend our rebuild against this. Are you an O's fan? Are you rooting for this team? All this doom and gloom around here is ridiculous, and I dont see how its possible with people who are supposedly fans. Do you want to see this team succeed? Do you not see the talent that we have in our entire system, ML and MiL? This is a rebuild that is nearing completion, but we wont know exactly what we have until every one is up at the same time.

No our firstbaseman right now doesnt look to be Tex, but how many players do look to be that good? Do you see any other CF in the AL East who is right now or projects to be better than Adam Jones? What about Markakis? Or Wieters? What about Reimold? I take those ball players over any other players at the same position in the AL East. And we wont know what we have in Snyder or Bell until they are up and have a few years under their belts. Adrian Gonzalez never showed much pop coming up through the minors, if he would have been our 1B of the future, he would project similarly. He blew up once he got some time in the ML, hopefully Snyder or Bell will too, but even if neither become 40 HR hitters, our core is still mighty strong.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But not as valuable as Teixeira.:laughlol: And there's the rub. You pretty much have to match up position by position with those other teams, and see where you come out. You can't come out behind every time. We do. We project to continue. 'Cept pitching, and that's always a maybe. People who can sign Sabathia or Burnett every year are hard to catch.

Regarding power hitting. If everybody else can do it, they're gonna beat our small ball butt. No defensing the long ball. That's why moneyball Earl loved the three run homer. That quote above projects Snyder to hit less doubles than Tex hits homers. That comp just won't work. We are outgunned at almost every position, and projecting another case as somehow a positive.

*sigh* Look upon ye works, guys. A product of watching baseball through the 90's.

A lineup of wall-to-wall power is nice but 1.) Basically not possible, and if you do try to get you'll gimp yourself because you'll be sacrificing everything else in the name of home runs and 2.) Sub-optimal, because you need people to get on. In a lineup with power hitters like Jones, Markakis, and (hopefully) Wieters, you need guys with a good stroke who get on and create run-scoring opportunities. I'm fine with a 1B who knowledgeable scouts say can hit .300+ at the majors with an above average number of walks and who plays competent D.

Adrian Gonzalez never showed much pop coming up through the minors, if he would have been our 1B of the future, he would project similarly. He blew up once he got some time in the ML, hopefully Snyder or Bell will too, but even if neither become 40 HR hitters, our core is still mighty strong.

Their minor league numbers are VERY similar. Info comes from www.thebaseballcube.com

<table width='100%' bgcolor='aaaaaa' cellpadding='2' cellspacing='1'><tr style='font-weight:bold' bgcolor='cccccc'><td>Player Name</td><td>Stat Type</td><td align=right>Bavg</td><td align=right>Obp</td><td align=right>Slg</td><td align=right>OPS</td><td align=right>G</td><td align=right>AB</td><td align=right>R</td><td align=right>H</td><td align=right>2B</td><td align=right>3B</td><td align=right>HR</td><td align=right>RBI</td><td align=right>SB</td><td align=right>CS</td><td align=right>BB</td><td align=right>SO</td><td align=right bgcolor='lightblue'>HR</td><td align=right bgcolor='lightblue'>2B</td><td align=right bgcolor='lightblue'>R</td><td align=right bgcolor='lightblue'>RBI</td><td align=right bgcolor='lightblue'>SB</td><tr bgcolor='dddddd'><td colspan='24' style='font-size:5pt'> </td></tr><tr bgcolor='white'><td title='2004-2008'><a href='http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/Adrian-Gonzalez.shtml' target='_new'>Adrian Gonzalez</a></td><td >Minor</td><td align=right>.296</td><td align=right>.365</td><td align=right>.448</td><td align=right>813</td><td align=right>653</td><td align=right>2480</td><td align=right>357</td><td align=right>733</td><td align=right>149</td><td align=right>11</td><td align=right>69</td><td align=right>436</td><td align=right>14</td><td align=right>10</td><td align=right>260</td><td align=right>430</td><td align=right bgcolor='eeeeee'>0.11</td><td align=right bgcolor='eeeeee'>0.23</td><td align=right bgcolor='eeeeee'>0.55</td><td align=right bgcolor='eeeeee'>0.67</td><td align=right bgcolor='eeeeee'>0.02</td></tr><tr bgcolor='white'><td title=''><a href='http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Brandon-Snyder.shtml' target='_new'>Brandon Snyder</a></td><td >Minor</td><td align=right>.287</td><td align=right>.349</td><td align=right>.449</td><td align=right>798</td><td align=right>464</td><td align=right>1698</td><td align=right>239</td><td align=right>488</td><td align=right>113</td><td align=right>9</td><td align=right>48</td><td align=right>286</td><td align=right>14</td><td align=right>9</td><td align=right>156</td><td align=right>413</td><td align=right bgcolor='eeeeee'>0.10</td><td align=right bgcolor='eeeeee'>0.24</td><td align=right bgcolor='eeeeee'>0.52</td><td align=right bgcolor='eeeeee'>0.62</td><td align=right bgcolor='eeeeee'>0.03</td></tr></table>

Offense is all relative. We can get away with less than ideal power production from 1B if we're picking it up elsewhere.

Not surprisingly, this is a hard concept for some to grasp. What difference does it make which position the power comes from? It looks like with Bell, Snyder, Wieters, Markakis, Jones, Reimold and Scott that we'll have 7 hitters capable of 20+ HR's. Add in the other players and that's pretty good HR production and moreover it's spread throughout the lineup.

Do you not see the talent that we have in our entire system, ML and MiL?

Nope.:eek: Prove it's there in more abundance than the four teams already ahead of us!

The Orioles are in last place and dropping. Our system is almost bankrupt for position players. Most would have to hit their ceilings to make a big league team in any form. None, not one position player, is projected to be an impact guy. I doubt the Yankees, Boston, Tampa, and Toronto are actually more depleted. Two of them are spending spiggots. Will we go $100Megabucks and run with them? Good luck thinking this group is going to make us contenders.

My last word. I swear.:laughlol: You can't do this analysis in a bubble. The other 4 teams in our division alone have to be factored in. It's just magic thinking otherwise. I get that it makes people feel good. I've also had this running argument for almost 15 years, and I'm batting 1.000. You HAVE to outpace the people ahead of you, or they'll stay ahead.

Not surprisingly, this is a hard concept for some to grasp. What difference does it make which position the power comes from? It looks like with Bell, Snyder, Wieters, Markakis, Jones, Reimold and Scott that we'll have 7 hitters capable of 20+ HR's.

While we're playing "capable", the big kids are doing it. More magic thinking. Look them up like I posted a couple of weeks ago. The Yankees and Boston have two qualfiied dudes APIECE, ahead of ours, at several of those positions. So that's the difference where the power comes from. We're weaker at the masher positions, and demonstratably equal/better at one lesser power position.

Now fill in DH with their extra power bats squeezed out of the corner positions every night. Throw in a couple of oblique strains. There's last place.

REALLY REALLY last word. From last place.:D

I know his stats still remind me a lot of this guy. I've been called crazy for making the comp here before, but his stats still look eerily similar.

I think that is a good comp. Youk obviously walks a lot more, but Snyder has shown more power than Youk throughout the minors. Now if he has Youk's 25 year old year next year at 1B (.260/.367/.413/.780) people will complain that he is not hitting for enough power to play 1B.:D

I know his stats still remind me a lot of this guy. I've been called crazy for making the comp here before, but his stats still look eerily similar.

I can see what you are trying to see but there's not too much similar about them. Youk walked more than he struck out every year in the minors but his partial year he got called up. Snyder has shown more HR pop and similar 2B's. I guess if you just look at Snyder's last 2 years for average they were both .300+ hitters.

Youk's OPS was very high because he walked so much while maintaining a good batting average. Snyder strikes out nearly 100 times a year and generally has to hit his way on base giving him a lesser OPS. It also took Youk two years to figure out MLB when he was 27. I really hope he isn't like him, but a much better Youk. The one thing I do really like is how well Youk plays the field, and I would love if that comparison would be true but Snyder is still working towards that.

I hope he's a better tackler.

I went to school and played with Rick Porcello's older brother Zach. I got to meet Rick and his younger brother, and I can tell you that brawl was not the first time he had ever been in a fight. Youk was walking (well... running) into the bear trap.

I went to school and played with Rick Porcello's older brother Zach. I got to meet Rick and his younger brother, and I can tell you that brawl was not the first time he had ever been in a fight. Youk was walking (well... running) into the bear trap.

I would much rather have seen Porcello just knock him out cold with one shot.

Archived