Interesting note from Jim Callis chat today.

bigelow

While making my daily search through espn chats i found a interesting note in Jim Callis chat. I know this is nothing coming from San Diego's front office, and we have talked about this trade numerous times. I just wanted to show a well known scouts pespective of the trade. Heres the link there are a few good takes on the O's. One that its fine to shut down Matusz and Tillman and he does not think Britton is a top 100 prospect which is a shock to me.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/28093/mlb-with-jim-callis

Dan (Tampa)

Would the Padres accept Arrieta, Reimold, and Brandon Snyder for Adrian Gonzalez?

Jim Callis (2:27 PM)

Don't know if they'd accept it, but it would be a good starting point for trade talks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only if he signs an extension.

I wouldnt do that....We are throwing away our hopeful core for 1 dude that Reimold may be out hitting in 3 years...Sorry, I know theres a huge mancrush going on here for AGon, but thats stupid to me. We have money saved up for a reason, and that reason is so that we do NOT have to destroy our core to get a big bat. Your opening up 3 more holes to fill 1, its pointless and IMO a step or 2 or even 3 backwards. Arrieta has a spot waiting for him, Snyder has a spot waiting for him and Reimold has a spot waiting for him....And yes theyd want another arm like Erbe.....Or Britton....NO!

Just wait for him to be a FA.

That worked out great for signing Teixeira didn't it? Premium FAs do not want to sign with the Orioles when they can play for a contender. That's why they hit FA, so they can choose where to play.

If you trade for a guy, they are forced to play on your team regardless.

I wouldnt do that....We are throwing away our hopeful core for 1 dude that Reimold may be out hitting in 3 years...Sorry, I know theres a huge mancrush going on here for AGon, but thats stupid to me. We have money saved up for a reason, and that reason is so that we do NOT have to destroy our core to get a big bat. Your opening up 3 more holes to fill 1, its pointless and IMO a step or 2 or even 3 backwards. Arrieta has a spot waiting for him, Snyder has a spot waiting for him and Reimold has a spot waiting for him....And yes theyd want another arm like Erbe.....Or Britton....NO!

I don't have a man crush on anyone. In fact I am one of the most vocal about building through the System. But this deal comes close to my parameters. No to trading Matusz, Tillman, or Wieters. I would hate to lose Reimold or Arrietta but Gonzalez fills a big hole and would hit 40+ at Camden Yards. But he must agree to an extension first.

Chad (Denmark via Vegas)

ESPN poll question: Pujols or DiMaggio?

Jim Callis (2:58 PM)

Pujols hasn't entered the decline phase of his career yet, but he's on his way to becoming the best righthanded hitter of all time. He's facing tougher competition than DiMaggio did, and he's nearly played as many games as Joltin' Joe did.

Off subject, but this stood out to me.....

I don't have a man crush on anyone. If fact I am one of the most vocal about building through the System. But this deal comes close to my parameters. No to trading Matusz, Tillman, or Wieters. I would hate to lose Reimold or Arrietta but Gonzalez fills a big hole and would hit 40+ at Camden Yards. But he must agree to an extension first.

I wasnt necessarily referring to you, I really didnt mean to quote you specifically....But, Reimold has monsterous power as well, surely capable of 35+ HR's. Arrieta, though I disagree some say has better stuff than either Tillman or Matusz, Snyder was very much the same prospect that AGon was at the same time. Why dont we hold off on a trade, see what these guys do between now and next year and then havea better idea if thats a smart move or not. Usually a top prospect can have a disappointing first stint in the ML and still have nearly the same trade value(see Jones, Adam)

Chad (Denmark via Vegas)

ESPN poll question: Pujols or DiMaggio?

Jim Callis (2:58 PM)

Pujols hasn't entered the decline phase of his career yet, but he's on his way to becoming the best righthanded hitter of all time. He's facing tougher competition than DiMaggio did, and he's nearly played as many games as Joltin' Joe did.

Off subject, but this stood out to me.....

Last time I checked Pujols didn't skip 3 years of his prime to fight a War.

Last time I checked, Joe wasn't the best player in the league... ever. Most likely not even the best at his position. He was an excellent player, don't get me wrong, but Albert Pujols, he was not.

I'm sorry that came off kinda nasty, wasn't meant to be. I just hate Joe D. So I am bias, please accept my humble apologies.

Last time I checked, Joe wasn't the best player in the league... ever. Most likely not even the best at his position. He was an excellent player, don't get me wrong, but Albert Pujols, he was not.

I can think of 3 CF's around Joe D's era that were better. He played in NY and they played up the Yankee angle. They sold the sizzle and not the steak.

Archived