Are the Orioles committed to winning?

JTrea81

A long term, patient approach means nothing?:eek:

Where is that approach going to get you and when? That is what has not been made clear.

We've had 12 years of losing. If the young talent doesn't develop as planned next year after likely year #13, then what? What's the backup plan?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe AM is on record as saying this rebuild should not take five years.

I think it has been quite clear for some time that AM's bottom line is improving the talent in the organization right now more than it is to winning. That is why Huff and Sherrill were traded. It's why Bedard and Miggy were traded. It's why Bradford was traded. It seems like most everyone here is on board with this.

The more I sit back and think about the more I expect AM to make the moves to have a competitive team in 2010.

Well, there is always a gettign acclimated time period with young guys...When you bring them all up at once, you are going to have growing pains.

But that's why you do it now and not when you expect to contend.

Do we really think all those growing pains will go away in one year? two? three?

When do we expect to contend? That's the whole point. It's not clear.

Where is that approach going to get you and when? That is what has not been made clear.

We've had 12 years of losing. If the young talent doesn't develop as planned next year after likely year #13, then what? What's the backup plan?

The scenario you are discribing is the Yankees. Sign every big FA, don't take the time to develop young players, just hand out big checks.

To answer your question, you can't put a specific time frame on it. And the backup plan is what MacPhail refers to as inventory.

Do we really think all those growing pains will go away in one year? two? three?

Your entire point is that it's not clear? THIS IS BASEBALL!! There is no clear route to consistent contention in the AL East year in and year out.

Your ideas are Jim Duquettesque, sacrificing the future so that we can win 88 games and still not make the playoffs.

I believe AM is on record as saying this rebuild should not take five years.

I think it has been quite clear for some time that AM's bottom line is improving the talent in the organization right now more than it is to winning. That is why Huff and Sherrill were traded. It's why Bedard and Miggy were traded. It's why Bradford was traded. It seems like most everyone here is on board with this.

The more I sit back and think about the more I expect AM to make the moves to have a competitive team in 2010.

That's what I think too.

Seriously. I feel like a lot of people here would mortgage the future to finish 82-80 this year.

I'm of the opinion that the situation will not turn around until we decide to spend some money. As one poster noted earlier, if you target a year to get better it may not happen because there are too many variables in baseball. I like the influux of young talent we have gathered but now it is time to spend some money, and lots of it, and get competitive with Boston and NYY. I just don't see how you can compete in the AL East with Boston and New York unless we bring our salary level up to $100 million. We also need to explore potential or current superstars that are available. Someone like Hanley Ramerez or Adrian Gonazales. You know Boston and New York are looking at these guys. Are we?? We should. Spend some money. Bring some stars in here and let's get this franchise back where it belongs:)

The scenario you are discribing is the Yankees. Sign every big FA, don't take the time to develop young players, just hand out big checks.

To answer your question, you can't put a specific time frame on it. And the backup plan is what MacPhail refers to as inventory.

I'm not saying don't develop young players, I'm saying we can't wait and see and solely rely on all the young talent to pan out.

Because if certain players don't develop in 2010, IMO we are likely to have another rebuilding season in 2011 and so on because I agree we can't fill all our holes via FA. But we can supplement the talent we have now, to give them all the support they need to succeed so they don't fail.

There has been no commitment by the Orioles to do this.

Of course its not clear...And it wouldn't be clear if we traded for AGon this offseason and signed Lackey.

At the end of the day, this team is only going to contend if the players we currently have develop the way we hope they will.

If not, it doesn't matter what else we bring in.

Of course its not clear...And it wouldn't be clear if we traded for AGon this offseason and signed Lackey.

At the end of the day, this team is only going to contend if the players we currently have develop the way we hope they will.

If not, it doesn't matter what else we bring in.

But do you agree with writing off another whole season to see if the players will sink or swim, after writing off 2008 and 2009?

Well if the Orioles traded away Roberts and Markakis, it would be obvious what they were doing.

By extending them, they can say they are committed to winning sometime soon, without actually doing it as fans will see those extensions as a commitment to winning. And they can still get fans to come to games, albeit a smaller #, because Markakis and Roberts are still there.

Oh yeah, Roberts and Markakis, and hell, even the switch hitting Jesus are REALLY making people flood through the turnstiles! :rolleyes:

But do you agree with writing off another whole season to see if the players will sink or swim, after writing off 2008 and 2009?

That's how you rebuild! Not doing that is what we were doing before MacPhail got here, by signing mediocre players to help us get to 75 wins every season and hope for more.

Archived