Are the Orioles committed to winning?

JTrea81

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course the O's aren't committed to winning. This rebuilding BS is just a PR ruse to cut the payroll and fill the team with cheap young players, so PA can line his pockets a little deeper. Yeah that's the ticket.:rolleyestf:

lovitz.jpg

Didn't I see you on the grassy knoll, in Roswell, making crop circles?

That's how you rebuild! Not doing that is what we were doing before MacPhail got here, by signing mediocre players to help us get to 75 wins every season and hope for more.

I'm not saying we should sign mediocre players. Nor am I saying we should have a FA binge like we did in 1995-1996.

Do we really think all those growing pains will go away in one year? two? three?

When do we expect to contend? That's the whole point. It's not clear.

Depending on the progress of our young guys, 2011 or 2012. Next year I expect to see a significant improvement in the team's record, but until I see what happens over the winter I'm not confident they'll be a .500+ team.

Question for you: let's say for sake of argument that next year the O's win 77 games, and in 2011 they win 87 games but are still 8 games out of the wild card and 10 games out of the division. At that point will you still be saying they are not committed to winning? (I think this is a pretty likely scenario, by the way.)

I'm not saying we should sign mediocre players. Nor am I saying we should have a FA binge like we did in 1995-1996.

No, what you want is much worse...Trade 4 or 5 players for a player that is likely to be gone after 2 years...2 years where we hope to be contending in 1 of them.

Depending on the progress of our young guys, 2011 or 2012. Next year I expect to see a significant improvement in the team's record, but until I see what happens over the winter I'm not confident they'll be a .500+ team.

Question for you: let's say for sake of argument that next year the O's win 77 games, and in 2011 they win 87 games but are still 8 games out of the wild card and 10 games out of the division. At that point will you still be saying they are not committed to winning? (I think this is a pretty likely scenario, by the way.)

It won't happen that way because of my signature line.

:laughlol:

It would be a start, but I'm not sure how we are going to win 77 games next year in the AL East with the talent we have assembled without some major additions and some major improvement from our younger guys.

We are on pace to lose almost 100 games this year.

Of course the O's aren't committed to winning. This rebuilding BS is just a PR ruse to cut the payroll and fill the team with cheap young players, so PA can line his pockets a little deeper. Yeah that's the ticket.:rolleyestf:

lovitz.jpg

Anyone who uses (and correctly uses) the word ruse is okay in my book.

Archived