Orioles Interested In Ryan Shealy

Boca Bird

So did the Rockies ask for Penn or Olson or did they ask for Penn and the O's countered with Olson?

Well again, if we go by what BB said, it seems that either of those pitchers would have gotten it done.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Believe it. You probably wouldn't want that deal if you were them. They want young quality, not old quantity.

Yea, i didn't word that properly...I guess i am still looking at it from a perspective that the Rockies should be trying to win, which i guess they aren't.

But if they think they are getting cheap, young top young pitching rpospect for Shealy they are fooling themselves.

Remember, the article said the Rockies identified 2 players they would do 1 for 1 swaps with...It appears Penn and Olson are those 2 pitchers.

Kind of makes me wonder if Olson is really THAT good.

Maybe he is, most of us haven't even seen the guy pitch. Obviously there are very differing opinions on him, which isn't that surprising. I'm sure if all the GM's had their choice of our top 2 pitching prospects in a trade, we'd see a lot of different combo's involving Penn, Loewen, Erbe, Liz, and Olson. It's important for our front office to decide who they think is the best and keep them, and trade the ones they aren't as high on.

Yea, i didn't word that properly...I guess i am still looking at it from a perspective that the Rockies should be trying to win, which i guess they aren't.

But if they think they are getting cheap, young top young pitching rpospect for Shealy they are fooling themselves.

Remember, the article said the Rockies identified 2 players they would do 1 for 1 swaps with...It appears Penn and Olson are those 2 pitchers.

I don't see how they're fooling themselves. Many of us on here including you thought Olson for Shealy was a pretty fair trade.

Maybe he is, most of us haven't even seen the guy pitch. Obviously there are very differing opinions on him, which isn't that surprising. I'm sure if all the GM's had their choice of our top 2 pitching prospects in a trade, we'd see a lot of different combo's involving Penn, Loewen, Erbe, Liz, and Olson. It's important for our front office to decide who they think is the best and keep them, and trade the ones they aren't as high on.

NoVaO brings up a good point...Are they too high on all of them...Too high to the point where they don't pull the trigger on a deal?

We know they have said they would trade young pitching but they haven't proven it yet.

Gotta wonder if this starts to become a Stoneman type situation.

I don't see how they're fooling themselves. Many of us on here including you thought Olson for Shealy was a pretty fair trade.

I just don't Olson in that upper echelon prospect status yet, although i do think he could be.

To me, Loewen and Penn are amongst the top 20-25 pitching prospects in baseball...Olson is more like top 50.

But, i will concede to you your point that many GM's could look at our "big 6" and slot them several different ways.

For those who are interested, here is B.A.'s preseason take on Shealy (Rox #9 Ranked prospect):

RYAN SHEALY, 1b Born: August 29, 1979 B-T: R-R Ht: 6-5 Wt: 240

Drafted: Florida, 2002 (11th round) Signed by: Mike Day

Background: The Rockies took Shealy in the fifth round out of high school in 1998 but didn’t sign him until drafting him again as a college senior. He won two home run titles in his first three pro seasons and would have challenged for the Triple-A Pacific Coast League crown in 2005 if not for his big league time.

Strengths:

Shealy has tremendous strength and makes pitchers pay if they miss on the inner third of the plate. He has the patience to work counts and is comfortable hitting the ball the other way. He has soft hands and has improved at first base.

Weaknesses:

The last job for Shealy is to turn on pitches more regularly. Though he’s a big man with limited range and speed, he has lost 30 pounds since spring training in 2005. Blocked at first base by Todd Helton, he hopes his work on conditioning and agility will make him an option as a corner outfielder.

The Future:

Coming off an inspiring showing with the Rockies, Shealy has earned a spot on the roster. Finding regular playing time will be a bigger challenge.

I just don't Olson in that upper echelon prospect status yet, although i do think he could be.

To me, Loewen and Penn are amongst the top 20-25 pitching prospects in baseball...Olson is more like top 50.

But, i will concede to you your point that many GM's could look at our "big 6" and slot them several different ways.

But if the Rockies asked for Olson, how are they fooling themselves?

Exactly. Identify who is most likely to succeed and who is most likely to fail, and trade the ones you believe are more likely to fail while their value is high.

I wouldn't deal Olson or Penn for Shealy. I believe Olson will be the best of the three (Olson/Penn/Loewen).

But, I would do Loewen for him.

The Orioles should counter-offer with Loewen for Shealy and _____?____.

Of course, that is assuming the Rockies still believe Loewen's performance will eventually match his hype/draft status.

I wouldn't deal Olson or Penn for Shealy. I believe Olson will be the best of the three (Olson/Penn/Loewen).

But, I would do Loewen for him.

The Orioles should counter-offer with Loewen for Shealy and _____?____.

Of course, that is assuming the Rockies still believe Loewen's performance will eventually match his hype/draft status.

Loewen for Shealy? Really? All I can say is WOW.

Loewen for Shealy? Really? All I can say is WOW.

Well, I didn't actually say Loewen for Shealy, did I.

I thought I said Shealy and ________ (another player).

All I can say is WOW- maybe someday I will be as good a judge of talent as you are and as respectful of others opinions. :rolleyes:

I am obviously not there yet. Hey, maybe you can tell from Southern Cal that he is the next Koufax. After all he IS a 1st round draft pick and they always pan out. :rolleyes:

I am a little less skilled- I have to physically watch players over and over again (mostly in person) to form my uneducated opinions. :rolleyes:

What are you backing up your high-and-mighty opinion on ?

His dominance in Rookie A ball at Aberdeen ?

Or his two year career at A ball in Frederick/Delmarva ?

Well, I didn't actually say Loewen for Shealy, did I.

I thought I said Shealy and ________ (another player).

All I can say is WOW- maybe someday I will be as good a judge of talent as you are and as respectful of others opinions. :rolleyes:

I am obviously not there yet. Hey, maybe you can tell from Southern Cal that he is the next Koufax. After all he IS a 1st round draft pick and they always pan out. :rolleyes:

I am a little less skilled- I have to physically watch players over and over again (mostly in person) to form my uneducated opinions. :rolleyes:

What are you backing up your high-and-mighty opinion on ?

His dominance in Rookie A ball at Aberdeen ?

Or his two year career at A ball in Frederick/Delmarva ?

I think this post is a huge overreation.

Trading our 2nd or 3rd best prospect for a 27 y/o AAA player is a very bold statement. You should have to defend an opinion like that with more than just character attacks on another poster who did nothing to attack you at all.

Archived