Let's go for it.

wildcard

This goes without saying.

Well then why post it if you are now going to back pedal. :confused:If the Orioles as currently constructed win twenty more games this season it would be the Sports Illustrated story of the year. Why? Because it ain't gonna happen. The team has less hitting now than projected at the beginning of last year. They play in the toughest division in baseball, and expect unproven pitching to carry them? Give me a break!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's pretty much what Tampa did 2 years ago, no?

No point in getting too far off on this tangent. This isn't happening for the O's in 2010, even with the players wildcard suggests.

This is true, and this is not what I was trying to infer. Just pointing out that it's happened before.

This is true, and this is not what I was trying to infer. Just pointing out that it's happened before.

The Colts also beat the Jets in Superbowl III as 17 point underdogs. How many times has something like that been repeated?:rolleyes:

Please explain where the offense is going to come from this team to win 20 more games? (I won't hold my breath).:laughlol:

The Ravens have a better chance of beating the Patriots by 20 points than the Orioles do of winning 20 more games!:mwahaha:

Well then why post it if you are now going to back pedal. If the Orioles as currently constructed win twenty more games this season it would be the Sports Illustrated story of the year. Why? Because it ain't gonna happen. The team has less hitting now than projected at the beginning of last year.

Re-read what I posted and tell me how I'm "backpedaling."

Don't bet your mortgage money on that.

People get too wrapped up in last year's record. We are not going to give that many starts to Hernandez, Berken, Hendrickson and Eaton in 2010. We probably entered about 40 games last year with a 25% chance of winning.

Re-read what I posted and tell me how I'm "backpedaling."

Well first you said they could win 20 more games than you agreed you wouldn't bet your mortgage on it. Is so, than maybe you should do something different as in - not post such silliness to begin with!:P

Well first you said they could win 20 more games than you agreed you wouldn't bet your mortgage on it. Is so, than maybe you should do something different as in - not post such silliness to begin with!:P

:laughlol:

I'll post whatever I feel like posting. I'm certainly not going to hold my tongue because I'm concerned about what YOU think.

I definitely agree with this. The team's offense should be OK. If Guthrie and Millwood pitch around 200 innings at a 4 or so clip, Matusz breaks out, and Bergesen picks up where he left off, then this team could win some ballgames!

Guthrie is the weak link. If you want someone to pitch 200 innings in the AL East, why not go for a ground ball pitcher who doesn't beat himself? I'd sign Joel Pineiro, who is the very model of a ground ball pitcher, and then I'd trade Guthrie for a ham sandwich. Pineiro gave up 11 HR and 27 BB last season. Guthrie gave up 35 HR and 60 BB (also, he surrendered 24 HR and 58 BB in 2008).

There's a huge difference in saying this team could win 83 games and betting your mortgage on it.

I think that Alabama could beat the Terps in football, but I wouldn't bet my mortgage on it.

People get too wrapped up in last year's record. We are not going to give that many starts to Hernandez, Berken, Hendrickson and Eaton in 2010. We probably entered about 40 games last year with a 25% chance of winning.

I'll certainly agree with you on that. BTW, I wish you hadn't brought up Eaton because I haven't eaten yet.

=If the Orioles as currently constructed win twenty more games this season it would be the Sports Illustrated story of the year.

What are you smoking? A 20-win improvement isn't likely, but it is definitely possible, and if it happened it would get very little attention outside of Baltimore. It would get about as much attention as the Kansas City Royals got in 2003 when they improved from 62-100 to 83-79 and finished in 3rd place in their division. Was that the SI story of the year?

It just kills me when you act like these things never happen. 20-game improvements don't happen a lot, but it's not exactly Haley's Comet, either. The White Sox improved by 20 games in 2000, Seattle by 25 games in 2001, the Royals by 21 games in 2003, the Tigers by 24 games in 2006, Tampa by 31 games in 2008.

What are you smoking? A 20-win improvement isn't likely, but it is definitely possible, and if it happened it would get very little attention outside of Baltimore. It would get about as much attention as the Kansas City Royals got in 2003 when they improved from 62-100 to 83-79 and finished in 3rd place in their division. Was that the SI story of the year?

It just kills me when you act like these things never happen. 20-game improvements don't happen a lot, but it's not exactly Haley's Comet, either. The White Sox improved by 20 games in 2000, Seattle by 25 games in 2001, the Royals by 21 games in 2003, the Tigers by 24 games in 2006, Tampa by 31 games in 2008.

Thanks for doing the legwork. I just didn't have the energy.

I think that would a pretty fun team to watch, expecially if Delgado comes back strong. Miggy may be a bit weak as a 3B (both offensively and defensively), but his presence allows us not to waste a roster spot on Andino. Miggy could play 25-40 games at SS and that would be a huge offensive upgrade.

I really enjoyed Miggy when he was here, and was sorry things kind of soured on him. Having him back under these circumstances would be entertaining.

My big concern is, what can you do to get Bell and Snyder up here when they are ready? That's a crowded infield.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Miggy on the team if he comes cheap enough. He's a good place holder but more importantly, he could fill in at SS so we wouldn't have to carry Andino's terrible bat as a backup. If we can get him on a one-year contract I'd be down for it.

Archived