Times like these...

RShack

I see where Zrebiec is reporting that guys like Nick and JJ are having to field questions about DT getting fired. As if they don't have enough to worry about... now they have to deal with reporters getting in their face about that too. Obviously it's coming from places like this. The only readily available samplings of fan attitude are this place, the Sun board, and shout-radio. So, the fact that Nick, JJ, and others are having to deal with this stuff is pretty much a reaction to the kind of noise that's been going on around here for the last day or so. (I hope everybody feels really proud about that.)

This is yet another example of why it matters for the franchise to be on very good, family-like terms with the great Orioles from before. Why? Because right now is when those guys can be important. God knows the players can't count on the fans for support when things are bad. To the contrary, they're now dealing with the distraction of all the fire-DT crap that recently popped up around here in such dramatic fashion. So, this is the perfect time for guys who have things like WS rings and MVP's and their very own plaques in Cooperstown to just kinda drop by the clubhouse before the game. Not to make impassioned rah-rah speeches, but just to stop by. Maybe say a few words about coping with hard times, or maybe not. But mainly to let the guys on the team know that they are part of something bigger than themselves, that they are part of a tradition of goodness, and to remind them that because they are Baltimore Orioles, some of the greatest ballplayers of all time are on their side and have their back.

Doing that won't solve anything. It won't make hits start falling in. It won't make the ball bounce the right way. But it can help the guys on the team step back from the momentary craziness, help them realize that they are indeed special, and let them know that not everybody is turning their back on them. If the former Oriole greats were on board, then when people are using the internet to crap all over them and the people they work with everyday, they could have Brooks just kinda stroll in one day... and have Frank stop by another day... and have Eddie stop by a couple days later... and have Cal visit a day or two after that. Nothing formal. Nothing special. Just a casual matter of having family show up when things are hard, having family be there when the fans are not only mad at them but are also trying to get their coaches fired because the players are having a rough spell.

This is not the only way that having great former Orioles being part of the family is important, but it sure is one of them. The FO should be arranging this kind of thing in general, and not just because of the current struggles. It should be part of what's normal.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, the fact that Nick, JJ, and others are having to deal with this stuff is pretty much a reaction to the kind of noise that's been going on around here for the last day or so. (I hope everybody feels really proud about that.)
See if anybody pays any attention to your main point when you start off your post with condescending, holier-than-thou BS like this.

Oh yeah. I used to work for a company that was in the news every day,

and the news was bad every day. It really wore the workforce down, what

with the CEO's and VP's being fired left and right.

I know I sure coulda used a pat on the fanny and a few encouraging words

just to help me get through the day.:rolleyes:

I can't imagine how extremely difficult it must be for the Oriole players to even show up and play.....I mean work. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

See if anybody pays any attention to your main point when you start off your post with condescending, holier-than-thou BS like this.

You mean you don't like a post that starts off with shame on you, you're all a bunch of meanies?

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

I see where Zrebiec is reporting that guys like Nick and JJ are having to field questions about DT getting fired. As if they don't have enough to worry about... now they have to deal with reporters getting in their face about that too. Obviously it's coming from places like this. The only readily available samplings of fan attitude are this place, the Sun board, and shout-radio. So, the fact that Nick, JJ, and others are having to deal with this stuff is pretty much a reaction to the kind of noise that's been going on around here for the last day or so. (I hope everybody feels really proud about that.)

This is yet another example of why it matters for the franchise to be on very good, family-like terms with the great Orioles from before. Why? Because right now is when those guys can be important. God knows the players can't count on the fans for support when things are bad. To the contrary, they're now dealing with the distraction of all the fire-DT crap that recently popped up around here in such dramatic fashion. So, this is the perfect time for guys who have things like WS rings and MVP's and their very own plaques in Cooperstown to just kinda drop by the clubhouse before the game. Not to make impassioned rah-rah speeches, but just to stop by. Maybe say a few words about coping with hard times, or maybe not. But mainly to let the guys on the team know that they are part of something bigger than themselves, that they are part of a tradition of goodness, and to remind them that because they are Baltimore Orioles, some of the greatest ballplayers of all time are on their side and have their back.

Doing that won't solve anything. It won't make hits start falling in. It won't make the ball bounce the right way. But it can help the guys on the team step back from the momentary craziness, help them realize that they are indeed special, and let them know that not everybody is turning their back on them. If the former Oriole greats were on board, then when people are using the internet to crap all over them and the people they work with everyday, they could have Brooks just kinda stroll in one day... and have Frank stop by another day... and have Eddie stop by a couple days later... and have Cal visit a day or two after that. Nothing formal. Nothing special. Just a casual matter of having family show up when things are hard, having family be there when the fans are not only mad at them but are also trying to get their coaches fired because the players are having a rough spell.

This is not the only way that having great former Orioles being part of the family is important, but it sure is one of them. The FO should be arranging this kind of thing in general, and not just because of the current struggles. It should be part of what's normal.

With fair recognition and appreciation that we have a wonderful venue to share our views, I would like to respond to your OP by saying , "How dare you?!!"

We fans have been un-supportive of our team? We fans should be ashamed? We same fans that bleed Orange and Black at a site -on a daily basis- because we are faithful followers of a team that was once proud and we so dearly want for that again?

I woke up this morning, read this, and thought, "Are you serious?!" I checked the calendar to be sure it wasn't April the 1st. Of all the nonsense you've issued at this site, this takes the cake. While I -again- recognize your right to the opinions shared, I have just as much right to call you out for your ignorance, arrogance and misguided failure to understand the culture here you so despise.

Guest rochester

So, who do you get to write the screenplay - we already know who will play DT. Oh, Shack meant this? never mind

If you're looking for a sport where nobody questions players about a 2-14 start, and no members of the media, press, or fanbase call for management's head after such a start, you're going to have to drop baseball and start rooting for indoor box lacrosse, or US rugby, or maybe the Canadian Rules Football League of Nebraska. You know, sports that, like, seven people care about.

Every sport that's big enough to have fans and media attention will have negative reactions to an abysmal start to a season. It's part of the job. The Wizards - check. DC United - check. The Redskins, the Lions, etc. Check.

Archived