Mazzone let go

Tony-OH

Was firing Mazzone a good thing?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Was firing Mazzone a good thing?

• Yes
    • No

Eh, what do the Baltimore Orioles need with one of the most successful pitching coaches in baseball? We can come last in the league in ERA without him!!!!

I have yet to hear a convincing argument, absent of assumptions, hearsay, or speculation, for specifically why this action is justified. What follows, posted in another thread on 10/1, is what we are letting go.

Noticed that all happened with the Braves and under John Scheurholz's watch.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By looking at the results of the last decade IMO Leo Mazzone was not any part of the problem that the Orioles have had. The Orioles organization and the level of pitching talent has been and is the problem.

I am thinking that rather than a condemnation of Mazzone this is part of a shift to the normal way things are done (i.e. let the head coach choose his staff).

They are doing what they think is best for the team and because this is McPhail and Trembley first season doing so I will sit back and trust their instincts. At this point, I commend them for their decisiveness. Hopefully this carries over into what they do with the players. McPhail has so far been a man of his word in letting Trembley rule his domain among other things he has said and done, that's refreshing. Proof is in the puddin', so again, we won't know if they were the right moves until next season.

I don't really see why any new manager wouldn't be positively thrilled that one of the world's best pitching coaches just fell into his lap when he got the job.

I hope there is an actual reason why Trembley/McPhail/etc don't think he's the best man for the job any more.

I don't really see why any new manager wouldn't be positively thrilled that one of the world's best pitching coaches just fell into his lap when he got the job.

I hope there is an actual reason why Trembley/McPhail/etc don't think he's the best man for the job any more.

Differing philosophies? Perhaps they asked the pitchers and the pitchers said his style wasn't working? Clearly Mazzone didn't have the effect we thought he would.

What a far cry this is from the jubilation around here the day Mazzone signed with us. While I don't put the blame squarely on him for the team's pitching performance during his two years, the numbers certainly don't suggest that he's so irreplaceable that we should keep him even if the manager would prefer to have someone else.

I think Bedard and Guthrie will be fine without him, and Cabrera may be better off. The one who will miss Mazzone is Loewen, who seemed to be developing nicely under Mazzone's tutelage.

Letting Mazzone go makes sense. It fits with what McPhail appears to be doing, which is cleaning house. He wants Trembley to pick his staff which will allow him to be the type of leader he wants to be. Having a heavyweight like Mazzone in the dugout would complicate Trembley's ability to shape the team as he sees fit. It is not an indictment of Mazzone's abilities, he has proven his those in Atlanta, it is just the way it has to be. Maybe if Perlozzo could have built his entire coaching staff, he would still be here.

McPhail got rid of Duquette (or at least pushed him to resign) for much the same reason. I expect Flannagan to be gone or moved to some position away from the major league club very soon.

Terry Crowley is an interesting case. If I am correct about this plan, then he has to go. From what I am hearing from others on this board, he will likely stay. This is a huge mistake in my mind. Trembley needs to bring his own guy, if for no other reason, to remove Crowley's influence over the players.

This is Trembley's team to shape as he sees fit. I really hope McPhail is going to give him the chance that was never given to Perlozzo, Mazzilli, et. al.

Please, Andy McPhail, do this thing right.

Clearly Mazzone didn't have the effect we thought he would.

That's probably because half of us expected him to part the Chesapeake, and yes I stole that hilarious line.

I don't particularly think that "cleaning house" for its own sake is terribly productive, especially since they're only coaches. I just don't think it's terribly fair to take a man's job from him for no reason other than to show off that you're the new sherrif in town. Then again, it's not like Leo can't get a job anywhere so I won't lose any sleep over it. I just doubt that turning over the coaching staff, again, is really going to have any sort of effect.

Terry Crowley is an interesting case. If I am correct about this plan, then he has to go. From what I am hearing from others on this board, he will likely stay. This is a huge mistake in my mind. Trembley needs to bring his own guy, if for no other reason, to remove Crowley's influence over the players.

What if Trembley believes that Crowley is doing a good job?

I am telling you that part of this has to do with the BP and Mazzone not working with them.

I think people are overlooking the quote Tony posted.

I read that as DT not believing that Mazzone works well with young pitchers.

We knew that this was an issue with Mazzone but it was also an easy with young guys who are "soft"....So, maybe DT wants these guys cottled too much????

Differing philosophies? Perhaps they asked the pitchers and the pitchers said his style wasn't working? Clearly Mazzone didn't have the effect we thought he would.

Well gee, let's ask the inmates if the warden's style is working, or the soldiers if the general's style is working. Maybe the pitchers should just shut up and learn how to pitch before they pass judgment on whether or not their coach's style suits them. I think his record has earned him the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

Mazzone didn't have the effect "we" thought he would because "we" apparently thought he could turn AAA talent into Cy Young candidates.

I choose to just sit back and watch. I don't have the heart to speculate and/or comment at the next array of names that walk the hallowed Oriole Dugouts. I pray that whatever it is... it works. This O's fan just wants something to be proud of again, without even a hint of indecisiveness, incompetence, internal strife, and steroid whispers.

Archived