Mitchell report to name many names

JTrea81

They said it would be after the WS but before the end of the year. Which means Nov or Dec. The winter meetings are when? Second week in December?

I imagine they want it out in Nov, a decent interval after the WS, but well before the winter meetings and in time for the resulting media circus to get interrupted by the Thanksgiving holiday. So everybody can digest it along with their turkey, and still be ready for the winter meetings. Otherwise, what would they do at the winter meetings?

The Winter Meetings will be in Nashville TN, December 3-6 to be exact.

source

He's not even the best Cardinals catcher-turned broadcaster.

(To get that, you have to go juuuuuuuuuust a bit outside...)

Outside what?

I can think of three other Cardinals catchers who later became broadcasters:

(1) Joe Garagiola was probably the best.

(2) Bob Uecker might give Garagiola a run for his money, but I have very rarely heard him.

(3) Mike Shannon caught 5 games for the Cardinals during his career, but he was primarily a right fielder and 3rd baseman and he's arguably a poorer broadcaster than McCarver, albeit far more beloved by Cardinals fandom.

Although they are now clean ( I believe so ) , Tejada and Roberts could be two big O's names on the list.

I've washed my hands of Gibbons. We know that Miguel and Roberts have lost HR power. Who cares , at least they can still hit , and well.

Gibbons is DONE.

No, we don't "know" that. Roberts had one career year in which he hit 6 more homers than he did this year, but he hit nearly half those homers in one fluky month. You can say that having a career year makes someone suspect, particularly when a critical mass of their former teammates and friends have been actually linked to banned substances, but you can't say someone "lost" power when the only time they had more than they do now was over a period of about 3 weeks. You also can't ignore the fact that he did suffer a career threatening injury in the interim period which certainly impacted his strength for most of 2006 and no one can say for sure that it hasn't had subtle permanent effects. Tejada has lost more speed and range than he has power. Perhaps the issue with him is more age (and whether he's really the age his birth certificate says) that PEDs. I'm not saying either of them didn't for sure, because I do believe more than half of MLB players have at least dabbled in something and I still suspect there were a fair number of coaches and medical people in professional baseball quietly condoning or even promoting use, but I think saying "we know they've lost power" as if it proves something one way or the other is just seeing what you want to see or have been conditioned to see by the media hype over the issue.

You make it sound like Mitchell is a schlep for King Bud. I think Selig originally envisioned this... but I think Mitchell is his own man, a much more important man than all of baseball. His reputation is set, so his reputation doesn't ride on this... but he doesn't want it sullied either. He'll release his report when he is ready, not when it's convenient for MLB. ;)

I had a lot of respect for George Mitchell until I read the book Disney War. He was a schlep for Michael Eisner, what makes you think he wouldn't be a schlep for Bud Selig? His reputation now is certainly not what it was when he retired from the Senate, that's for sure.

I had a lot of respect for George Mitchell until I read the book Disney War. He was a schlep for Michael Eisner, what makes you think he wouldn't be a schlep for Bud Selig? His reputation now is certainly not what it was when he retired from the Senate, that's for sure.

Well, I have to add. I just read an article that says he's also on the board of the Red Sox. Isn't that a conflict of interest?

Well, I have to add. I just read an article that says he's also on the board of the Red Sox. Isn't that a conflict of interest?

It obviously isn't considered one. Should it be? I don't know all the details of his relationship with the Red Sox, so I can't say, but it doesn't look very good. MLB should want to avoid even the appearance of a conflict.

By the way, in addition to being a director, he's probably also a Red Sox fan. He's from New England.

Baseball doesn't believe in conflicts of interest any more. They allowed Bud to make a loan to Twins' owner Carl Pohlad, in direct violation of the anti-syndicate baseball rules. They allowed Peter Loria to essentially strip the Expos bare and take everything with him to Florida. They have allowed Peter Zell's Tribune Co to own and run the Cubs for a year or more despite the fact he also owns a share of the White Sox. They let Bud give the Brewers to his daughter to give the appearance of avoiding conflicts of interest. Then he set up revenue sharing rules so that the Brewers would be the biggest beneficiary.

Baseball's internal rules are only enforced when it's convenient.

Baseball doesn't believe in conflicts of interest any more. They allowed Bud to make a loan to Twins' owner Carl Pohlad, in direct violation of the anti-syndicate baseball rules. They allowed Peter Loria to essentially strip the Expos bare and take everything with him to Florida. They have allowed Peter Zell's Tribune Co to own and run the Cubs for a year or more despite the fact he also owns a share of the White Sox. They let Bud give the Brewers to his daughter to give the appearance of avoiding conflicts of interest. Then he set up revenue sharing rules so that the Brewers would be the biggest beneficiary.

Baseball's internal rules are only enforced when it's convenient.

I agree with you, couple of nitpicks, though. It's Sam Zell, and his deal to buy Tribune isn't closed yet. And it's Jeffrey Loria. You're on a Peter kick today. ;)

Archived