Orioles plan to select the contract of INF Manny Machado

Greg

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan Connolly ‏@danconnollysun

The Orioles say he will be making his major-league debut on Thursday. So looks like he'll be starting. He'll play third

Glad I bought my tickets for tomorrow's game this morning. $35 for field box seats behind the dugout.

HA.

Dan Connolly ‏@danconnollysun

The Orioles say he will be making his major-league debut on Thursday. So looks like he'll be starting. He'll play third

Well this sure shines a different light on the pass on trading for Headley.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• 1) The win rule is a holdover from a long time ago, and they didn't really put too much thought into the starter goes five/reliever can get a single out thing because relievers in 1913 were mostly some random guy who came in when the starter was either hurt or gave up nine runs in 2/3rds of an inning. The details of the rule have mostly been out-of-step with reality since long before any of us were born.  2) Here's a list of several hundred players who hit at least .300, qualified for the batting title, yet had an OPS+ under 100. Patsy Tebeau hit .302 in 1894 and had a 75 OPS+, or lower than Ryan McKenna's career mark. The Mariner's Felix Fermin once hit .317 in a season where he had 11 walks and one homer, and had an 85 OPS+. Hall of Famer Lloyd Waner (perhaps only because the committee got his files mixed up with his brother Paul's) hit .316 yet had just a 99 OPS+, and was a below-average hitter for his whole career. 
    • I'm not familiar with Long's work outside of the Orioles, as I live out of town. I watch all of the O's games through MLB.tv. I really do not like Long. I think he makes the MASN broadcasts seem less credible compared to other team's broadcasts. I'm not a fan of Melanie Newman on play-by-play but I agree that I think she sounded better than usual the past two games.
    • Meh...I missed Kevin Brown, but I didn't hate the broadcast. There were still errors, but if sounded smoother and better to me. 
    • So what do we take from this w/r/t Povich?  He is at 3.9, so slightly better than league average but still high. I would guess you still have to think he needs to improve on it but maybe improving on it can/will occur at the ML level, if he does indeed improve on it?
    • A lot of people have a kneejerk negative reaction to anything that gets overhyped by the media or fans or social media. A song can come out and you might think it's really good.   But then it gets played again and again, and the artist gets overhyped, and someone who initially liked the song doesn't want to hear it ever again because they have a negative reaction to the hype.    Logically that makes no sense... if it is a good song it is a good song.   But that's how many people react. And the other thing at play is that the folks on here are a very small, special percentage of O's fans.   Ones that follow the team minutely on a daily basis, watch or listen to many games, and absorb much more content about the O's whether it's on TV/radio/newspapers/social media/online, than most fans do.   So if something is getting talked about a lot, we hear about it more than the more casual fan does.   And we may tire of it more quickly.
    • 3 walks today and no strikeouts. Kids on base is trending in the right direction.
    • Well, take that up with the GG voters, because they certainly thought so.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now