1. 1. Who's the DH vs RHP?

• Chris Davis
    • Alejandro De Aza
    • Steve Pearce
    • Travis Snider
    • Matt Wieters
    • There will be a rotation
    • Sit down -- Bayleaf's got this

With the signing of Travis Snider, the Orioles have filled their roster and I don't expect any more major league signings. We know Chris Davis is out for game one, so somebody is going to have a cup of coffee with the team. When he comes back though... we've got a number of guys that can play OF/1B and all of them are solid defenders. Well, not Delmon Young, but he's going to the the DH vs lefties and pinch hit or get a spot start. Who's going to be the counterpart?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pearce had good numbers as the DH last year. After the year he had, he's going to get a chance to play everday. He's in there against RHP's and on an outfield corner against LHP's. Snider in RF. Delmon at DH against LHP's. Snider and Pearce could always flip flop but I'd guess it's Snider in RF and Pearce at DH instead of the other way around.

Yes, this.

IMO Snider and Pearce comparable range but Snider has the stronger arm so I think he plays right vs righties. Pearce DH.

Pearce has the history of wrist issues, so as long as Snider is good enough defensively, I think Pearce will get the bulk of those DH at-bats. Snider's signing makes it more likely that they limit Young like they did in 2014 to only playing against LHP or against RHP where he has a good track record.

Of course, that could change if Pearce completely falls apart (not likely) or if one of De Aza or Snider is really bad. But right now, most nights against RHP, you would not be sitting any of De Aza/Snider/Pearce.

I think Pearce, De Aza and Delmon will start at the corners and DH v both LH and RH P. If one or the other struggles against same handed P, then Snider becomes an option for either Pearce or Delmon v RHP and Pearce an option for De Aza v LHP.

I think Pearce, De Aza and Delmon will start at the corners and DH v both LH and RH P. If one or the other struggles against same handed P, then Snider becomes an option for either Pearce or Delmon v RHP and Pearce an option for De Aza v LHP.

If they brought in Snider to be a bench player behind Delmon Young, that'll upset me.

I would be surprised is Snider isn't a starting player.

The Snider acquisition does 3 big things for the team (just my opinion):

1. Allows Steve Pearce to DH vs. RHP and hopefully keep his chronic wrist issues from flaring up.

2. Allows Delmon to essentially replay his 2014 role (vs. LHP, good RHP match-ups, and PH) instead of relying on him for potentially 500+ at-bats.

3. Allows the Orioles to never have to put Delmon in the OF barring an emergency situation.

As asked the answer is definitely "There will be a rotation" because Buck will always be mixing and matching depending on health, hot hand, etc.

But I'd bet the most common LF/RF/DH combo is DeAza/Snider/Pearce against RHPs and Snider/Pearce/Young against LHP.

What about Lough as RF, Snider/Young to platoon at DH?

and Pearce to the bench? Snider actually hits lefties better than righties and Pearce hits everyone better than Young.

What I'd like to see Snider and Lough on the corners with Pearce at DH. De Aza traded to another team. Lough is the better player and the more valuable piece moving forward. I don't suspect that is what will happen.

Archived