O's Trim Roster by 8; Reimold among the casualties

ScottieBaseball

Ugh. I hope not. That year the Orioles dumped Aubrey Huff and George Sherill in the middle of the season still kind of sticks in my craw. It's bad enough that the team isn't competitive -- I hate it when they just rip out the heart of what makes the O's semi-watchable for mediocre prospects. I understand the idea of building for the long-term, but that's all we ever do and the long-term never happens (i.e. over a dozen consecutive seasons of losing baseball), and in the meantime we have to watch guys who shouldn't be out there tripping all over themselves.

I'm sort of at the point where if they pull that kind of stunt where they start gutting the team again, I may well watch the Nationals instead instead for a month or two. Don't get me wrong, I'll always be an Oriole fan, but if they traded both Scott and Vlad, barring getting back really top prospects, I might find something else to watch for a while, because, you know, I'm not a masochist.

It's time to try to win as many games as we can, even if we fall short of being competitive. The future is now. Do the best we can.

Josh Bell says hello.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think most people believe that Reimold won a shot at the 4th OF slot over Pie, but it was never really a battle because of Pie's ability to play CF. However, this raises a number of possible scenarios as the season progresses. The Orioles may be looking forward to an opportunity to trade one or both of Scott or Vlad during the season for good young prospects, and having a (hopefully) healthy and productive Reimold at Norfolk makes trading one or both of them a very viable option.

I guess I really don't understand the CF argument..if AJ gets injured (I realize he has some issues there), Markakis can slide over for a day or two. If it's long term, then DL him and bring someone else up. When AJ needs a rest work it out. Some of the players the O's have put out there on Sunday's to give a player a rest have not been great in the field...and the O's will be keeping Andino who is a fielding nightmare IMO and Scott isn't a gold glove by any means if he gets an occassional 1st base start.

I think Reimold will stink it up in Norfolk and create a lousy atmosphere. I am sure he is thinking it is a business catastrophy for him..he will lose millions long term if he is going to be a lifetime AAAA. His market may be of a higher value now after ST. I secondly don't understand the need for both Andino and Ceasar... Fox will be there for third...Hardy is solid both with the glove and bat. So, the O's keep the 2 of them to cover, what 2nd base?? I realize the quandry they are in....but I don't care for it based on CF....I'd dump Andino...and keep both Pie and Nolan.

Ugh. I hope not. That year the Orioles dumped Aubrey Huff and George Sherill in the middle of the season still kind of sticks in my craw. It's bad enough that the team isn't competitive -- I hate it when they just rip out the heart of what makes the O's semi-watchable for mediocre prospects.

Aubrey Huff was one of the guys making the team unwatchable when he was traded. The "mediocre prospect" that we got back helped us land JJ Hardy, so I'm okay with that too.

Ugh. I hope not. That year the Orioles dumped Aubrey Huff and George Sherill in the middle of the season still kind of sticks in my craw. It's bad enough that the team isn't competitive -- I hate it when they just rip out the heart of what makes the O's semi-watchable for mediocre prospects. I understand the idea of building for the long-term, but that's all we ever do and the long-term never happens (i.e. over a dozen consecutive seasons of losing baseball), and in the meantime we have to watch guys who shouldn't be out there tripping all over themselves.

I'm sort of at the point where if they pull that kind of stunt where they start gutting the team again, I may well watch the Nationals instead for a month or two. Don't get me wrong, I'll always be an Oriole fan, but if they traded both Scott and Vlad, barring getting back really top prospects, I might find something else to watch for a while, because, you know, I'm not a masochist.

It's time to try to win as many games as we can, even if we fall short of being competitive. The future is now. Do the best we can.

Well, it all depends. If we're hovering around .500, we'll probably do what we can to move some players. If however, there appears to be even a modest outside shot that we can make a WC run, we'll keep our guys around. Heck, even if we're around .550, I think we'll keep our guys around. A season well above .500 would go a long way to signaling a once proud franchise on its way back.

I agree its the right move but I don't see how you can say with any certainty that this won't be a lost season for Reimold.

Of course I can't say it with any certainty, but the odds that Scott, Guerrero, Lee, Markakis, and Jones all stay healthy for the entire season are pretty close to zero. Just look at last year: on paper, Wigginton was going to get almost no playing time and we all know what happened after that.

Truth of the matter is that Reimold was a regular outfielder on the team but massively underperformed when given the opportunity. He would still be in Baltimore and the only reason he isn't now is his own fault.

What are you talking about? :confused:

The only reason he is not in Baltimore, is because we have a "toolsy" outfielder that has no options. If Pie had options he'd be in AAA. Forget the whole need a back up CF, its a load of crap.

I guess I really don't understand the CF argument..if AJ gets injured (I realize he has some issues there), Markakis can slide over for a day or two. If it's long term, then DL him and bring someone else up. When AJ needs a rest work it out. Some of the players the O's have put out there on Sunday's to give a player a rest have not been great in the field...and the O's will be keeping Andino who is a fielding nightmare IMO and Scott isn't a gold glove by any means if he gets an occassional 1st base start.

I think Reimold will stink it up in Norfolk and create a lousy atmosphere. I am sure he is thinking it is a business catastrophy for him..he will lose millions long term if he is going to be a lifetime AAAA. His market may be of a higher value now after ST. I secondly don't understand the need for both Andino and Ceasar... Fox will be there for third...Hardy is solid both with the glove and bat. So, the O's keep the 2 of them to cover, what 2nd base?? I realize the quandry they are in....but I don't care for it based on CF....I'd dump Andino...and keep both Pie and Nolan.

There appears to be alot you don't understand.....:scratchchinhmm:

The only reason he is not in Baltimore, is because we have a "toolsy" outfielder that has no options. If Pie had options he'd be in AAA. Forget the whole need a back up CF, its a load of crap.

Pretty sure he's talking about 2010. It's not all Nolan's fault, because he was injured, but I think he's right.

I'm sort of at the point where if they pull that kind of stunt where they start gutting the team again, I may well watch the Nationals instead for a month or two. Don't get me wrong, I'll always be an Oriole fan, but if they traded both Scott and Vlad, barring getting back really top prospects, I might find something else to watch for a while, because, you know, I'm not a masochist.

Wow am I glad you're not running the team. Going from a crappy team to a really crappy team is far from ripping "out the heart of what makes the O's semi-watchable". I'd much rather see us build assets and attempt to make a run than to win 75-80 games every year. Also, just because some prospects didn't hit doesn't mean the plan wasn't solid (and are we just ignoring the prospects we got for Bedard, or are offseason trades somehow more acceptable?). This just in: prospects aren't sure things. Let's play the numbers and get as many at as high of quality as we can.

If Pie had an option then Angle would be on the team. What you don't seem to grasp is that Reimold doesn't have the glove to be a 4th OF and the need for a PH RH bat isn't that great.You're not bringing him in for late inning defense over Luke. You're not using him to rest AJ or Nick. If he's on the bench he wouldn't get that many AB.

Well, it all depends. If we're hovering around .500, we'll probably do what we can to move some players. If however, there appears to be even a modest outside shot that we can make a WC run, we'll keep our guys around. Heck, even if we're around .550, I think we'll keep our guys around. A season well above .500 would go a long way to signaling a once proud franchise on its way back.

I'd like to see this team try to win as many games as possible this year, even if "as possible" turns out to only be 75 or so. I don't want to sit through something like the first half of 2010 again -- it's depressing.

I understand the idea of a team dumping vets and retooling with prospects. I was all for it in 1998. In 2011, though, after so many years of losing, I just want to see as many Orioles win as possible right now. I like turning on my television and having the feeling the Orioles have at least around a 50-50 chance of winning that particular night.

Im on record as saying that not only should Nolan be going north with the team, but i'd rather have him starting in left over Scott. That's how much of an injustice I think this is.

No one should be judging Nolan on last year, that is a joke. The guy probably shouldnt even have been playing most of the year with the injury he had.

The personal problems are his fault, no doubt.

Pie should have been shopped hard this off season. What little value he has now, will be gone once he starts playing this year.

If Pie had an option then Angle would be on the team. What you don't seem to grasp is that Reimold doesn't have the glove to be a 4th OF and the need for a PH RH bat isn't that great.You're not bringing him in for late inning defense over Luke. You're not using him to rest AJ or Nick. If he's on the bench he wouldn't get that many AB.

I have a firm grasp on the fact that I do not see the need for a back up centerfielder. Nor a defensive replacement for Luke.

Don't get me wrong on Reimold. Even though I think sending him down to AAA is the right move, I'm still rooting for the kid. I'd love to see him tear the cover off the ball down there, improve his defense, and come up and be a great player for the Orioles for years to come. I just think at this point, after the performance he turned in last year, he has a lot to prove, and Norfolk is the appropriate place for him to begin to try to prove it. I have my doubts that he will, but I hope he does.

Archived