O's Trim Roster by 8; Reimold among the casualties

ScottieBaseball

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is my problem with this thinking...

The main reasons he didn't make the team are 1. Pie can backup center and apparantly that is some MAJOR concern, and 2. Pie is out of options. So tell me, if Reimold goes down to Nofolk and puts up an over 1.000 OPS, how is he going to make the team? The two things I mentioned above will not change. His ONLY shot of a call up is if Scott, Lee, or Vlad go down to injury. Him "lighting it up" in Norfolk will not force the Orioles' hand any more than him having a good spring did.

Its really a no win for Reimold at this point unless one of the three above get injured.

How is it a no-win? Its more of a win than sitting on the bench and getting some at-bats here and there. There will be injuries (theres always something) and/or if he tears it up he can be traded or we can move one of Scott or Pie.

Theres lots of options here. Since he has the option he goes down. I don't think a whole lot of it has to do with Pie being able to play CF.

Massively underperformed? He led the team in OPS in 2009 and was a candidate for Rookie of the Year before injuring his achiles late in the season. The injury and off field issues then plagued him all last year.

In your post you could easily substitute Pie's name for Reimold's, yet he keeps finding a spot on the roster.

So as its shaping up, 3 of our 4 bench spots will be NO hitting, defensive minded players in Pie, Tatum, and Izzy. Fox is the only bench guy with any pop, and it looks like he won't be the backup catcher, even though that's where he's played all spring? I don't get it. :scratchchinhmm:

When did Pie become a zero with the bat? Pie is fine as a fourth outfielder and if Buck picks his spot, he'll hit well in that role as well.

My only issue with that bench is that Andino should be on it over Izzy. I'm still holding out hope he will be.

What are Reimold's off the field issues?

They are in the past and he's moved on so it really doesn't matter any more. It was a family issue. From all reports he's focused on baseball and healthy and we all look for him to hit well at Norfolk and hope to see him back with the big club at some point in 2011.

How is it a no-win? Its more of a win than sitting on the bench and getting some at-bats here and there. There will be injuries (theres always something) and/or if he tears it up he can be traded or we can move one of Scott or Pie.

Theres lots of options here. Since he has the option he goes down. I don't think a whole lot of it has to do with Pie being able to play CF.

I would consider not accruing major league service time and not making the major league minimum salary not winning.

Sit me down on the bench and keep my service clock running; that much closer to arbitration, free agency and a very nice pension plan.

I don't see why anyone is saying that Pie took Nolan's roster spot, when clearly it was Vlad. I was all for the Vlad signing, and I still am, but this is the downside - we all knew he would end up taking a younger guy's spot, and the younger guy turned out to be Nolan.

Even Pie's detractors have pretty much always said that he'd be a good fourth outfielder, so I'm not sure why anyone is upset that he's in that role. And it seems to me that the best thing for Nolan is to play every day for a while, and he simply would not have had that opportunity at the major league level. If Nolan can hit like 2009, and I think he will, then he'll be back up soon enough.

I don't see why anyone is saying that Pie took Nolan's roster spot, when clearly it was Vlad. I was all for the Vlad signing, and I still am, but this is the downside - we all knew he would end up taking a younger guy's spot, and the younger guy turned out to be Nolan.

Even Pie's detractors have pretty much always said that he'd be a good fourth outfielder, so I'm not sure why anyone is upset that he's in that role. And it seems to me that the best thing for Nolan is to play every day for a while, and he simply would not have had that opportunity at the major league level. If Nolan can hit like 2009, and I think he will, then he'll be back up soon enough.

How do you figure? If Pie is the 4th outfielder, can play CF, and is out of options, how does Reimold raking like its 2009 get him on the ML roster?

How do you figure? If Pie is the 4th outfielder, can play CF, and is out of options, how does Reimold raking like its 2009 get him on the ML roster?

Luke, Lee, and Vlad are the three guys in Nolan's way. There's a pretty good chance that one of those huys will get hurt - Heck, Lee may actually BE hurt - and any of the three could be traded later in the year. Also, Pie could definitely get hurt or crap the bed - it would be interesting to see who would replace him, Nolan or a CF'er.

I think most people believe that Reimold won a shot at the 4th OF slot over Pie, but it was never really a battle because of Pie's ability to play CF. However, this raises a number of possible scenarios as the season progresses. The Orioles may be looking forward to an opportunity to trade one or both of Scott or Vlad during the season for good young prospects, and having a (hopefully) healthy and productive Reimold at Norfolk makes trading one or both of them a very viable option.

Luke, Lee, and Vlad are the three guys in Nolan's way. There's a pretty good chance that one of those huys will get hurt - Heck, Lee may actually BE hurt - and any of the three could be traded later in the year. Also, Pie could definitely get hurt or crap the bed - it would be interesting to see who would replace him, Nolan or a CF'er.
I think most people believe that Reimold won a shot at the 4th OF slot over Pie, but it was never really a battle because of Pie's ability to play CF. However, this raises a number of possible scenarios as the season progresses. The Orioles may be looking forward to an opportunity to trade one or both of Scott or Vlad during the season for good young prospects, and having a (hopefully) healthy and productive Reimold at Norfolk makes trading one or both of them a very viable option.

I agree with you both, and I absolutely believe that once one of these guys gets traded, Left Field will be Reimold's for the forseeable future. BUT....until that occurs, him raking in Norfolk will not earn him a promotion to the majors. In other words...barring injury of trade, his performance has ZERO effect on his being called up.

If I was Reimold, I would be bigtime pissed

Why in the world does Reimold have any cause to be pissed? He hit around .200 last year in the bigs and around .250 in AAA ball. His defensive was horrific. A few good weeks in games that don't count this spring doesn't automatically erase all that. If he goes down to AAA and hits well, he'll be back. It's a long season and there are bound to be some guys who get injured or underperform.

I agree with you both, and I absolutely believe that once one of these guys gets traded, Left Field will be Reimold's for the forseeable future. BUT....until that occurs, him raking in Norfolk will not earn him a promotion to the majors. In other words...barring injury of trade, his performance has ZERO effect on his being called up.

I agree with you more than most about Reimold's place on this team, but I'm not sure I agree with this.

If he absolutely blows up like he did in 09, Buck will likely try to find some ABs for him in the Majors. He will almost have to platoon him or something.

If he doesn't, the O's have a beast of a bat just chomping at the bit to get PT in the majors. That's not a terrible problem to have.

I agree with you more than most about Reimold's place on this team, but I'm not sure I agree with this.

If he absolutely blows up like he did in 09, Buck will likely try to find some ABs for him in the Majors. He will almost have to platoon him or something.

If he doesn't, the O's have a beast of a bat just chomping at the bit to get PT in the majors. That's not a terrible problem to have.

In the grand scheme of things, I understand WHY Buck is keeping the bench he is.

But when I look at a bench of Izzy...Tatum...Pie....it makes me want to puke. I KNOW why Reimold is the odd man out, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

The Orioles may be looking forward to an opportunity to trade one or both of Scott or Vlad during the season for good young prospects

Ugh. I hope not. That year the Orioles dumped Aubrey Huff and George Sherill in the middle of the season still kind of sticks in my craw. It's bad enough that the team isn't competitive -- I hate it when they just rip out the heart of what makes the O's semi-watchable for mediocre prospects. I understand the idea of building for the long-term, but that's all we ever do and the long-term never happens (i.e. over a dozen consecutive seasons of losing baseball), and in the meantime we have to watch guys who shouldn't be out there tripping all over themselves.

I'm sort of at the point where if they pull that kind of stunt where they start gutting the team again, I may well watch the Nationals instead for a month or two. Don't get me wrong, I'll always be an Oriole fan, but if they traded both Scott and Vlad, barring getting back really top prospects, I might find something else to watch for a while, because, you know, I'm not a masochist.

It's time to try to win as many games as we can, even if we fall short of being competitive. The future is now. Do the best we can.

Archived