O's Trim Roster by 8; Reimold among the casualties

ScottieBaseball

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how often would he play when everyone is healthy? The answer is very likely not often at all.

Buck and AM seem to agree with you. Dip and I do not.

We think he could and should get a major time share, with Scott, Lee and Vlad getting semi-regular time off to work him into the lineup.

Oh well. What's done is done.

Just a reminder, in 2009 Reimold wasn't on the OD roster yet he still ended the year with 411 PA in the majors. In 2010 Corey Patterson wasn't on the OD roster yet he ended up with 341 PA in the majors. These things have a way of working out.

Well, it's still March. I don't think most people want to think about injuries to Scott or Jones or Guerrero until after Opening Day :P

Ugh. I hope not. That year the Orioles dumped Aubrey Huff and George Sherill in the middle of the season still kind of sticks in my craw. It's bad enough that the team isn't competitive -- I hate it when they just rip out the heart of what makes the O's semi-watchable for mediocre prospects. I understand the idea of building for the long-term, but that's all we ever do and the long-term never happens (i.e. over a dozen consecutive seasons of losing baseball), and in the meantime we have to watch guys who shouldn't be out there tripping all over themselves.

I'm sort of at the point where if they pull that kind of stunt where they start gutting the team again, I may well watch the Nationals instead for a month or two. Don't get me wrong, I'll always be an Oriole fan, but if they traded both Scott and Vlad, barring getting back really top prospects, I might find something else to watch for a while, because, you know, I'm not a masochist.

It's time to try to win as many games as we can, even if we fall short of being competitive. The future is now. Do the best we can.

Unless the Orioles bust out of the gate, and somehow remain in the hunt for a playoff slot, I think MacPhail will definitely be looking to trade some veteran assets for young talent.

Vlad is a hired gun at this point in his career, and if he is producing like he did in the first half of last year, he is definite trade bait for a contending team.

I think Scott is the most likely trade candidate. He has improved every year as an Oriole, but he will turn 33 this season, and is likely moving towards the end of his peak production years. He will be arbitration eligible again next year, and will be a free agent after the 2013 season, at age of 35. If he is having a good year, this would be the perfect time to get the maximum in return.

I don't think Lee is as tradable as Vlad. Even if Derek is producing, my guess is that we keep him around. And if MacPhail doesn't think Snyder, Mahoney, or maybe Bell is ML-ready, Lee might be offered another one year deal. (And IMO, forget about signing Fielder....it isn't going to happen.)

And, it wouldn't surprise me if Guthrie might be made available, especially if Matusz and Britton live up to expectations.

I think Scott is the most likely trade candidate. He has improved every year as an Oriole, but he will turn 33 this season, and is likely moving towards the end of his peak production years. He will be arbitration eligible (somewhat incredibly for the first time) next year, and will be a free agent after the 2013 season at age of 35. If he is having a good year, this would be the perfect time to get the maximum in return.

I'm pretty sure he was arb eligible this year.

Buck and AM seem to agree with you. Dip and I do not.

We think he could and should get a major time share, with Scott, Lee and Vlad getting semi-regular time off to work him into the lineup.

Oh well. What's done is done.

I don't see why any of those guys would start less than 145 games if healthy and productive. Plus, Pie has to get some starts when Luke takes a day off or DH's. Fox should probably see some time backing up those guys too considering his spring. Maybe Wieters or Brob get occasional DH time as well.

So I'm not seeing more than 25 or so starts for Nolan there if the impossible happens and everyone stays healthy, productive, and on the team.

I don't see why any of those guys would start less than 145 games if healthy and productive. Plus, Pie has to get some starts when Luke takes a day off or DH's. Fox should probably see some time backing up those guys too considering his spring. Maybe Wieters or Brob get occasional DH time as well.

So I'm not seeing more than 25 or so starts for Nolan there if the impossible happens and everyone stays healthy and productive.

I'd get him a couple of starts/week if he's what I think he is.

OTOH, it's quite possible that the O's just won't allow themselves to be too swayed by the sss that is spring training. That makes sense, for sure.

If he proves he's back to being a masher, he should be promoted and Scott/Lee/Vlad should all start to get some time off, which may well be needed in the summer anyway.

I'd get him a couple of starts/week if he's what I think he is.

OTOH, it's quite possible that the O's just won't allow themselves to be too swayed by the sss that is spring training. That makes sense, for sure.

If he proves he's back to being a masher, he should be promoted and Scott/Lee/Vlad should all start to get some time off, which may well be needed in the summer anyway.

Ok, so I guess Pie would never start, Fox wouldn't get any starts other than backup catcher despite a spring at least as good as Reimold's, no one else on the team would get time at DH other than Vlad and Reimold, and you'd take 3 guys who deserve to start almost all the time when healthy, and you'd sit them a little more than what they're accustomed to and what their past production warrants.

Of course it's extremely likely there will be injuries and/or trades, but if neither occur magically, I'd plan for this in terms of starts:

1B: Lee(145), Fox(17)

LF: Scott(145), Pie(17)

DH: Vlad(150), Scott(5), Lee(5), Brob(2)

I don't see much room for Nolan to get consistent PT there when everyone is healthy.

But as I and others have said, there will be injuries and/or trades, so Nolan will get his chance assuming he hits well in the minors.

Ok, so I guess Pie would never start, Fox wouldn't get any starts other than backup catcher despite a spring at least as good as Reimold's, no one else on the team would get time at DH other than Vlad and Reimold, and you'd take 3 guys who deserve to start almost all the time when healthy, and you'd sit them a little more than what they're accustomed to and what their past production warrants.

Two of those three guys are in their mid 30's and should get a little time off. The third would get some time moving to first.

Pie and Fox shouldn't get PT over Reimold.

I understand the arguments. I just disagree. This discussion has been beaten to death in Trea-esque fashion. I have no desire to continue doing so. :)

Two of those three guys are in their mid 30's and should get a little time off. The third would get some time moving to first.

Pie and Fox shouldn't get PT over Reimold.

I understand the arguments. I just disagree. This discussion has been beaten to death in Trea-esque fashion. I have no desire to continue doing so. :)

A DH doesn't need much time off unless he gets hurt.

I have Lee getting 17 games off from 1B with 5 of them being at DH, that's plenty of time for him if he stays healthy.

Regardless of your feelings on Pie, there has to be a plan to get him some starts other than the 5 or so games he takes over for Jones.

This discussion has been beaten to death, and the clear conclusion is that there really isn't many starts for Nolan until someone gets hurt or traded.

I'm pretty sure he was arb eligible this year.

And last year. And the year before that.

- 1 year/$6.4M (2011)

re-signed by Baltimore 2/10/11 (avoided arbitration, $6.85M-$5.7M)

- 1 year/$4.05M (2010)

re-signed by Baltimore 1/19/10 (avoided arbitration)

- 1 year/$2.4M (2009)

re-signed by Baltimore 1/20/09 (avoided arbitration)

Showalter also talked about outfielder Nolan Reimold, who was optioned to Triple-A Norfolk before the game.

"Nolan and I, we talked a little bit after everybody in the room had left," Showalter said. "I didn't get to see the guy (last season) that I saw this spring, and I can see why he's so well thought of. He's probably in the best physical shape that he's been in in a while, running probably better than he ever has. And I thought other than early on, getting used to spring training, he showed that he could play defense. Right-handed power. I'm glad that he's ours. Not only for depth this year, but I think the future bodes well for him. I like where he is right now.

"He had a really good off-season. He put a lot of the challenges he had last year behind him and put himself in a good spot to get back to the 2009 form that I had heard about. I know it's frustrating for him, but it was frustrating for us also to see all the struggles he went through last year. If he hadn't had the challenges he had last year, he'd probably be in a different...but he's put the tough part behind him and I think he's got the best ahead of him. He'll be back."

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/03/final-thoughts-on-14-9-victory.html

What are you talking about? :confused:

The only reason he is not in Baltimore, is because we have a "toolsy" outfielder that has no options. If Pie had options he'd be in AAA. Forget the whole need a back up CF, its a load of crap.

This :agree:

Archived