Should Pie have plowed into Joba?

NewMarketSean

Looked at the video again. Pie goes into a standard slide, foot tucked, hands up. When his foot hits Joba's foot it kind of stands him up, so he rolled over to try to get a hand on the plate. Nothing he could have done here differently with the exception of Pete Rosing Joba. It was just an unlucky play. No blame to hand out here IMHO.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember an early 80's Baseball Abstract where Bill James talked about the differences in football and baseball, and how baseball players who played with an overly aggressive, football-type approach were usually fan favorites, but also tended to be injured too often to be particularily useful players. If I'm remembering correctly, I think he called these players "dyed-in-the-doubleknit losers."

Do you think Rangers fans are happy that Josh Hamilton chose to run into the catcher?

I think people need to realize that instead placing so much blame on Pie, that they should be applauding Joba for making a great play.

Applaud Joba? Surely you jest. I am more from the Frank Robinson school. When you are playing the game the other team is the enemy. No back slapping no buddy buddy stuff.

I wonder what Ty Cobb would think? Probably that these guys are soft.

Wonder why the Orioles havent had a decent brawl in a decade or so? We are soft.

I remember an early 80's Baseball Abstract where Bill James talked about the differences in football and baseball, and how baseball players who played with an overly aggressive, football-type approach were usually fan favorites, but also tended to be injured too often to be particularily useful players. If I'm remembering correctly, I think he called these players "dyed-in-the-doubleknit losers."

Do you think Rangers fans are happy that Josh Hamilton chose to run into the catcher?

I'm not trying to be rude here, but he didn't run into the catcher...

Applaud Joba? Surely you jest. I am more from the Frank Robinson school. When you are playing the game the other team is the enemy. No back slapping no buddy buddy stuff.

Wonder why the Orioles havent had a decent brawl in a decade or so? We are soft.

Yes...If you aren't savvy enough to recognize that the other team just made a great play, then I don't know what to tell you.

Instead of bashing players on our team, sometimes people have to realize that the other has good players too and they are trying to do what they can to stop you.

I think people need to realize that instead placing so much blame on Pie, that they should be applauding Joba for making a great play.

Right place at the right time with the right amount of fat. That's all the credit he gets from me. He made a #@#$ pitch in the first place and if he wasn't a giant tub of lard he'd have ended up on his butt when Pie slid into him.

As my friend who constantly beats me on the golf course with circus shots says: "I'd rather be lucky than good".

Are you joking? Are we a bunch of 12 year olds? "They beat us in a game, so we're going to beat them up, or act like kids." What a joke. I don't care about beating them in a fight, I want to win a freaking baseball game.

Cobb would have slid into Joba's calves with his spikes up. That's why every player hated him. Read Al Stump's "Cobb" some time. He was a great player but a miserable pr#$* and a crappy teammate.

It seemed to me that Pie did NOT intend to slide, then saw that it might be a close play and attempted a last minute awkward half-slide, which fell apart once his feet collided with Joba's.
That's what I saw as well.

Honestly, how many times have we seen a guy slide into home on a play like that where the ball isn't nearly in time, or on a tag-up play where the throw is away from the plate, and they didn't need to do so? Why couldn't he do that?

Yes...If you aren't savvy enough to recognize that the other team just made a great play, then I don't know what to tell you.

Instead of bashing players on our team, sometimes people have to realize that the other has good players too and they are trying to do what they can to stop you.

It was a lucky bounce and a crappy "slide" by Pie. I'm not patting Chamberlain on the back for that. I don't think the guy is smart nor agile enough to have done what he did on purpose.

It was a lucky bounce and a crappy "slide" by Pie. I'm not patting Chamberlain on the back for that. I don't think the guy is smart nor agile enough to have done what he did on purpose.

Joba made an instinctual play and went to the side of the plate where he could block it. He clearly meant to do it and it was a great play by him.

Joba made an instinctual play and went to the side of the plate where he could block it. He clearly meant to do it and it was a great play by him.

LOL...I don't think there was anything instinctual about it to be honest. He went to the plate and I think braced for impact. In doing so, he inadvertently blocked the plate. If he took any kind of credit for it, it'd be like Flyer goalie Ron Hextall all those years ago who cleared the puck into an empty net in a playoff game back in the late 80's then told the press afterward, "I was aiming for that corner."

LOL...I don't think there was anything instinctual about it to be honest. He went to the plate and I think braced for impact. In doing so, he inadvertently blocked the plate. If he took any kind of credit for it, it'd be like Flyer goalie Ron Hextall all those years ago who cleared the puck into an empty net in a playoff game back in the late 80's then told the press afterward, "I was aiming for that corner."

Ok whatever...If an Oriole did this, you would be praising him up and down the message board.

Archived