Bryce Harper - Making Griffey and ARod Look Bad?

Slappy

Fangraphs compares Bryce Harper's 18-year old season at A-ball vs. Griffey and ARod's.

His line right now? .396/.472/.712 With 8 home runs. Incredible.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/bryce-harper-best-prospect-ever/

Griffey was a great center fielder, Arod was a pretty decent Shortstop. I think the bar should be a lot higher for a right fielder. He does have a special bat.

He's in A ball, but still mighty impressive. I wonder if he'll field well enough in the outfield to warrant the Griffey comparison. It'll be a miracle if he has a career like A-Rod or Griffey. Griffey is one of the best center fielders of all time, and as much as I hate to admit it, from an offensive standpoint, A-Rod may be the best ever (Honus Wagner and Ernie Banks as an SS at least might beg to differ).

I was in Hagerstown a few weeks ago and he was impressive. All three balls he hit were screaming line drives, including a home run down the RF line.

If you have never been to Municipal Stadium they have a standing room section literally right behind the Suns dugout (1st base side) that is open to everyone. You can buy a GA ticket and be within a few feet of the on deck circle. It was pretty cool to watch the game from that vantage point. Also they upgraded the seating in the reserved section with the recently removed seats from Camden Yards.

Has he faced any of our pitchers?

Clay Schrader struck him out on three pitches.

Also, Mike Stanton, at age 18 in the SAL in 2008, had a .318 ISO (Harper's is currently .296). Harper is absolutely a special player, but let's not get too carried away here.

Did you see the article by Shienin talking about how he went to see an eye doctor and the dr told him his eye sight was so bad, that he didn't even know how he hit a ball?

That was AFTER he was the #1 pick...just earlier this year.

Now, he has contacts and since then, he has really gone on a tare

I had no doubt Harper would destroy low A. He hit well in the AFL last year and in major league spring training this year, both times against far better competition than he is facing now. I doubt he lasts in the Sally League through the all-star game; 2 more weeks at most and he'll be promoted.

That said, I'm happy he's not the only high draft pick from last year who is tearing up the Sally League as an 18-year old.

Clay Schrader struck him out on three pitches.

Also, Mike Stanton, at age 18 in the SAL in 2008, had a .318 ISO (Harper's is currently .296). Harper is absolutely a special player, but let's not get too carried away here.

Very true, but Harper's plate discipline has been much better and he also brings speed to the table (6 SB so far). And, of course, Stanton is a pretty darn good player for the Marlins at the tender age of 21.

Archived