Tatum Claimed

Richmond Bird 9

And neither did Tatum, so whats the point of all of this?

You are making much ado about nothing. The Orioles removed fringe players from the roster - Accardo, Jaku, Fox, and Tatum. None of them are good at the major league level. Now, of the course the Orioles will lose Izturis and Vlad to free agency, and Eyre, Rapada, Reyes, VDH, Viola, Bell, Florimon, Snyder, and Hudson are all candidates to come off the 40 man roster at some point, but the Orioles simply deemed those four more dispensable than the others.

And lets not forget that we claimed Tatum from the Reds in similar fashion a few years back. They were trying to sneak him off their 40 man roster and the Orioles claimed him.

Paul already ask that quesiton and I answered it in post #44.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many at-bats at AA does Caleb Joseph need before he can catch 30 games a year at the major league level?

I kind of like the idea of someone like Joseph making the club and catching maybe like 30-40 games a season to give Matt some rest. Maybe Matt can improve at 1B or DH on some of those days to save wear and tear on his knees. He seems able to take the strain now, but I think that having a viable backup can save the wear and tear on him later in his career. I want to make sure we don't end up with a Joe Mauer situation here.

I kind of like the idea of someone like Joseph making the club and catching maybe like 30-40 games a season to give Matt some rest. Maybe Matt can improve at 1B or DH on some of those days to save wear and tear on his knees. He seems able to take the strain now, but I think that having a viable backup can save the wear and tear on him later in his career. I want to make sure we don't end up with a Joe Mauer situation here.

Pretty safe bet the O's don't sign Wieters to an eight year contract.

Unless he is willing to extend now, I catch him into the ground and let someone else overpay for the wear and tear after his seven years as an O are up.

You would have to think that if Tatum got claimed on waivers, the Orioles were planning on going into next season with a new backup catcher regardless of if Tatum was in the organization or not. The O's would not have been trying to slide Tatum off the 40 man roster if he was the favorite to be with the O's next year. Whehter it's Hester, Joseph, or a free agent pickup, this is a minor move and we should be able to find someone to play once a week for us behind the plate.

• 2 months later...
Randy Henry and Greg Miclat are no longer in the Orioles' system because Craig Tatum was DFA by the Orioles. I hope Taylor Teagarden is worth the fuss :rolleyes:...Go O's!!!!

Tatum was DFA significantly before the Teagarden acquisition. He was awful last year and that was the reason he was DFA.

Archived