JAKE Today

OFFNY

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We might have screwed Jake out of a win with our bad defense, but at least we got him off the hook with some late, explosive offense.

No doubt. That kind of gaff (Davis's whiff on the toss to first) hurts worst when it comes right at the "crux" of a pitcher's game... like inning 6-7, right as he's trying to seal up a quality start and turn it over to this homies. Tonight was a great sign, IMO. Jake pitched like a warhorse, even though he did not have his control, nor his consistent velo. Reminded me of one of those occasional "bad" Mussina starts, where he'd give up four runs in seven innings and you'd be like: Wow, that was devastating. And they'd win 7-5 anyway. Jake is a champion.

No doubt. That kind of gaff (Davis's whiff on the toss to first) hurts worst when it comes right at the "crux" of a pitcher's game... like inning 6-7, right as he's trying to seal up a quality start and turn it over to this homies. Tonight was a great sign, IMO. Jake pitched like a warhorse, even though he did not have his control, nor his consistent velo. Reminded me of one of those occasional "bad" Mussina starts, where he'd give up four runs in seven innings and you'd be like: Wow, that was devastating. And they'd win 7-5 anyway. Jake is a champion.

Gutted it out for 114 pitches. Took responsibility for his team, like a #1 should.

My only criticism was the at bat to Konnerko for the double. He really had him there, but I think either he or Wieters over thought the pitch he hit. They were working him inside, running the fastball in on his hands and he was having a tough time with it. I wanted to see either one of those nasty curves outside or come right back with the fastball on the hands. He couldn't handle it. Other than that, his defense let him down and we blew various run scouting opportunities to get him a win. He looks like he's maturing right before our eyes.

Great gutty performance ... Jake really set the bar for our starters there by keeping his composure through all of those misplays, keeping us in the game and giving us a chance to win it even though it doesn't go as his W. He certainly earned it.

Great gutty performance ... Jake really set the bar for our starters there by keeping his composure through all of those misplays, keeping us in the game and giving us a chance to win it even though it doesn't go as his W. He certainly earned it.

You can tell he has composure on the mound. He sounded candid and very intelligent in his post game interview. This guy gets it.

Go get 'em, Jake.

ANGELS (4/21)

Erick Aybar - SS

Bobby Abreu - LF

Albert Pujols - 1B

Kendrys Morales - DH

Torii Hunter - RF

Mark Trumbo - 3B

Maicer Izturis - 2B

Chris Iannetta - C

Peter Bourjos - CF

I still feel like Jake gives the team the best chance to win. I'm feeling les that way today because he's up against Weaver and Johnson is batting sixth for us. I understand Nolan has the neck stiffness, but does Buck really need to bat Nick Johnson sixth? How bout moving Davis up for one game? He's been swinging it pretty well.

Archived