Dylan Bundy has his Second Start Tonight

weams

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he'll be gone well-before that.

From talking to a couple of people I inferred that the general plan was to keep Bundy in Delmarva through the end of April and give him an early May promotion to Frederick as long as he looked good. But I think they are flexible. If he makes one or two more silly starts like the first two, I think he'll force their hand early. I'm not too worried about it either way. I expect him to be in Bowie by August as long as he's healthy.

From talking to a couple of people I inferred that the general plan was to keep Bundy in Delmarva through the end of April and give him an early May promotion to Frederick as long as he looked good. But I think they are flexible. If he makes one or two more silly starts like the first two, I think he'll force their hand early. I'm not too worried about it either way. I expect him to by in Bowie by August as long as he's healthy.

Ha. Sorry, I meant Frobby's six weeks. I assumed that he'd be there only until the end of the month, though I think it's possible he's gone sooner.

You made that pretty clear before the game. The White Sox system must really be awful, based on your comments about Kannapolis. It does not look to me like Delmarva plays any of the three teams you mentioned in the next 6 weeks, which I think is the maximum amount of time Bundy will be at Delmarva. He could get Greenville during April 24-27, depending on how many days they rest him, but he could miss that series. His next start should be Hagerstown, and then Greensboro or Greenville.

Hagerstown will have some bats for him (albeit some strikeout prone bats). That will be a nice start to follow.

Given Bundy's profile the results are nice but not shocking. That being said he was pitching against hs bats, now he's adjusting to pro life, so it's nice to see him actually proving that the profile (at least so far) was correct, and he is doing what we hoped he would do.

As to Cameron's comments on his developmental arc, they echo what Law said, which is that Bundy is probably ready for Double-A already. The question is do the Orioles just want Bundy to settle in and experience success, or do they want him to learn and have to adjust?

As to Cameron's comments on his developmental arc, they echo what Law said, which is that Bundy is probably ready for Double-A already. The question is do the Orioles just want Bundy to settle in and experience success, or do they want him to learn and have to adjust?

He is learning and adjusting. He has to pitch every five days instead of once a week on Friday afternoon. That forces him to change his off days routine and preparation. He's learning about watching film and reviewing scouting reports that he never had in HS. He's learning about living away from home, traveling every three to four days, and living out of suitcase when on the road.

This is only two starts. He'll gradually start pitching four and five innings and he'll probably see Frederick by early to mid-May. Then he'll face hitters more than once a game. Eventually, probably some time in July ;), a batter will get a hit or walk (more likely get on by an error) and he'll have to adjust to pitching with a man on base. Eventually he'll get behind a hitter and have to work his way back from a bad count. There's plenty of time over 125 innings for him to do that. I think he might get one more 3 inning stint, then move to 4 and eventually 5. He'll probably get 5-7 of those starts in Delmarva and move on.

I think those who have a problem with these three inning starts are overstating the issue, to a point. This isn't the plan for the whole season, just his first few starts. For what it's worth 3x3innings = 9; 4x4innings =16; then 20x5 innings = 100; for a total of 125 innings. A plan like that wouldn't surprise me at all.

He is learning and adjusting. He has to pitch every five days instead of once a week on Friday afternoon. That forces him to change his off days routine and preparation. He's learning about watching film and reviewing scouting reports that he never had in HS.

1- He is a member of a six man rotation.

2- Considering that his approach was eerily similar in his two starts I do not think he is watching much film or reviewing scouting reports at this point. Unless the scouting reports for both teams said "Throw nothing but fastballs to the 1-3 hitters".

1- He is a member of a six man rotation.

2- Considering that his approach was eerily similar in his two starts I do not think he is watching much film or reviewing scouting reports at this point. Unless the scouting reports for both teams said "Throw nothing but fastballs to the 1-3 hitters".

It's all about his IP. The options were to hold him back in extended ST for a couple weeks and then add him to A+ or to give him short stints in low A since it's full season and then bump him up later.

It's all about his IP. The options were to hold him back in extended ST for a couple weeks and then add him to A+ or to give him short stints in low A since it's full season and then bump him up later.

His starts at the present certainly bear that out. It doesn't seem so much that he is pitching for them as getting his work in during their games.

His starts at the present certainly bear that out. It doesn't seem so much that he is pitching for them as getting his work in during their games.

Yep, that's pretty much it. It's a better alternative than having him just throw BP sessions. Not a bad idea really, and if they limit him to 18 IP over 6 starts or so, he would have about 107 IP left in about 20 starts at the next level, which is what, a little over 5IP per start if he goes 20?

Eh I would rather they shut him down early but I am certainly not an expert.

If he were to pitch in the AFL would those count as this season innings, next season innings or something else entirely?

It's all about the wear and tear on the arm, so the AFL innings would still kinda count since it starts in the late fall. AFL for the better prospects is usually when they have gotten injured and NEED the extra innings. It's better to not have him go a long period without pitching at all, so short stints/BP innings are better than being shut down.

Archived