Dylan Bundy has his Second Start Tonight

weams

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, that's pretty much it. It's a better alternative than having him just throw BP sessions. Not a bad idea really, and if they limit him to 18 IP over 6 starts or so, he would have about 107 IP left in about 20 starts at the next level, which is what, a little over 5IP per start if he goes 20?

I have a serious question for some of you guys that are around pitchers in the minors a lot, How does having a guy back in extended ST save anything on his arm? If a pitcher is doing Simulated games or live BP he has been in just as stressful a situation as what Bundy has faced so far. Bundy has yet to throw a pitch in a high stress or fatigued situation could the O's be using this to actually extend his innings up a little over 125 this season? I suggest this because we have heard several times that Bundy might be in the Majors soon, and I don't see how you can do that unless he is good to go for over 175 IP in 2013. I just don't think you can give a year of service time for a part time player.

Actually none of this 3 inning stuff makes much sense to me, this is a guy that went deep into games last year. Maybe he is shortening the time between starts but I don't see how when he is just not being tested at all that the IP at this level is doing anything to him. Basically I would think he threw more in his off season throwing program than he is now.

I have a serious question for some of you guys that are around pitchers in the minors a lot, How does having a guy back in extended ST save anything on his arm? If a pitcher is doing Simulated games or live BP he has been in just as stressful a situation as what Bundy has faced so far. Bundy has yet to throw a pitch in a high stress or fatigued situation could the O's be using this to actually extend his innings up a little over 125 this season? I suggest this because we have heard several times that Bundy might be in the Majors soon, and I don't see how you can do that unless he is good to go for over 175 IP in 2013. I just don't think you can give a year of service time for a part time player.

Actually none of this 3 inning stuff makes much sense to me, this is a guy that went deep into games last year. Maybe he is shortening the time between starts but I don't see how when he is just not being tested at all that the IP at this level is doing anything to him. Basically I would think he threw more in his off season throwing program than he is now.

Different amount of effort in simulated games and real games. They might be throwing 75-80% simulated and just working out kinks, in a game its full on effort and reacting to situations. The rule is you don't want to expand more than 50IP from year to year, and in HS you are going maybe 50-75IP so 125 this year and 175 next year sounds pretty safe to me.

He's supposed to be a freak conditioning wise, so I worry less than about some people, but you never know for sure. Better safe than sorry with the hope of your franchise. A pro season lasts twice as long as he's ever thrown before so you want to take it nice and slow to make sure he adjusts ok.

Different amount of effort in simulated games and real games. They might be throwing 75-80% simulated and just working out kinks, in a game its full on effort and reacting to situations. The rule is you don't want to expand more than 50IP from year to year, and in HS you are going maybe 50-75IP so 125 this year and 175 next year sounds pretty safe to me.

He's supposed to be a freak conditioning wise, so I worry less than about some people, but you never know for sure. Better safe than sorry with the hope of your franchise. A pro season lasts twice as long as he's ever thrown before so you want to take it nice and slow to make sure he adjusts ok.

Is there any evidence that he actually throws 85% except for when he needs to dial it up? I know that is what he claims and what his handlers have preached. If that is the case does it change anything?

Is there any evidence that he actually throws 85% except for when he needs to dial it up? I know that is what he claims and what his handlers have preached. If that is the case does it change anything?

He definitely does not dial it up to max, in-game. At least, I've never seen it, and the video Newman posted at fangraphs definitely is not Bundy at max effort.

The trick is maintaining mechanics later in the game and season -- the fact that he has shown himself to be self-conscious about this is a good thing, and I imagine he is not one to feel a twinge or some stiffness and not say anything.

Interesting look at what other high profile prospects did in their first games.

http://minors.mlblogs.com/2012/04/12/dylan-bundy-is-really-good-not-matt-hobgood/

1999 Draft

Josh Beckett (No. 2, Marlins): 9 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 12 K

Bobby Bradley (No. 8, Pirates): 11 IP, 8 H, 3 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 21 K

2000 Draft

Mike Stodolka (No. 4, Royals): 10 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 K

2002 Draft

Zack Greinke (No. 6, Royals): 11 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 10 K (in Carolina League)

2003 Draft

John Danks (No. 9, Rangers): 6 1/3 IP, 3 H, 3 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 12 K

2006 Draft

Clayton Kershaw (No. 7, Dodgers): 7 1/3 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 9 BB, 9 K

2007 Draft

Madison Bumgarner (No. 10, Giants): 8 IP, 11 H, 7 ER, 0 BB, 10 K

2010 Draft

Jameson Taillon (No. 2, Pirates): 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K

2011 Draft

Archie Bradley (No. 7, Diamondbacks): 11 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 11 K

I like the tidbit that Dwight Gooden struck out 300 in 191 innings in his first year of professional ball, with 10 complete games! Different era...

Yeah different times. That and Davey Johnson used to get as drunk as the players themselves on the plane flights. Different era indeed.

Archived