Let's Give Chris Davis Some Credit

Brendan25

I think the layout of Camden Yards is such that a slow LF really costs you. RF requires skill and a good arm (like Markakis has), LF requires a guy who can run (not that Luke Scott was a burner, but he was still probably faster than Davis). It will be interesting to see if the O's try Davis in LF when Markakis is back.
I think a Davis try out in LF is the plan. Is he really slower than Like Scott?" I think people make assumptions about Davis because of his size. He doesn't look that slow to me.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a Davis try out in LF is the plan. Is he really slower than Like Scott?" I think people make assumptions about Davis because of his size. He doesn't look that slow to me.

He does need sometimes to be reminded to start running toward first base. Also, a visual illusion is created b/c of how quickly his broken bats go flying.

I think they're gonna go with Reynolds back at third (I know, I know...) Davis at 1st, Thome DH and X in LF. Good power throughout, bad infield defense but good defense in LF and a bit of speed in the lineup.

Or Davis at third, Reynolds at first.

What abt Betemit?

He really is a mystifying player. I have to be honest, he has looked way better in the OF than I ever would have guessed. As to his offense, I try to keep in mind that he still has only 1,360 plate appearances in the major leagues, and this is really the first chance he has had to play nearly every day. I think there is still some room for growth. If Davis could be a guy who puts up an .825-.850 OPS and is capable of playing 1B, 3B or a corner OF spot when needed, he'd be pretty valuable. I don't see him as a plus defender at any of those spots, but if he can be semi-competent at all of them, that has value.

It's a big plus for me that he's been hitting well against southpaws.

What abt Betemit?
Betemits fileding metrics at 3B aren't all that bad in spite of his errors. He is a liability, but nothing like Reynolds at 3B. Reynolds has looked good at 1B and Betemit/Andino at 3B has been OK most of the time. Davis has looked OK in RF. I see no reason to switch things around. Let Davis/Pearce play LF, and DH Davis on Thome's days off.

I think a Davis try out in LF is the plan. Is he really slower than Like Scott? I think people make assumptions about Davis because of his size. He doesn't look that slow to me.

If I had to guess, I'd say Scott was a little faster. You are right that it's not by that much. I'd probably pick Davis in a footrace to 1B with Hardy.

If I had to guess, I'd say Scott was a little faster. You are right that it's not by that much. I'd probably pick Davis in a footrace to 1B with Hardy.
Boog Powell played 3429 IN in LF from ages 19 -23, and was league average there, according to his Rtot. Was he faster than Davis?

• 2 weeks later...

Today''s faux pas not withstanding he has looked good to me in LF. I have seen AJ do the same thing a number of times. Davis seems to get good jumps and has surprising speed for someone his size. He also has a great arm. I am more concerned with his bat than his glove, no matter where he plays.

• 2 months later...

How good can Chris Davis really be? The guy is CRUSHING the ball right now, and is proving that if he is hot, you can put him at DH or even the OF if his bat is good enough.

I'm even willing to go this far. If Davis improves next year, even if its just by a little bit. Maybe his OBP goes up some. I think that in the 2013-2014 offseason, it's time to talk extension. That is if he improves next year, but I LOVE his potential.

How good can Chris Davis really be? The guy is CRUSHING the ball right now, and is proving that if he is hot, you can put him at DH or even the OF if his bat is good enough.

I'm even willing to go this far. If Davis improves next year, even if its just by a little bit. Maybe his OBP goes up some. I think that in the 2013-2014 offseason, it's time to talk extension. That is if he improves next year, but I LOVE his potential.

I gave you some rep for your OP, but I should take it away now that I see you bumped your own thread. ;)

I love him and really hope he stays an Oriole. I think he could really blossom. Furthermore, he just started playing outfield in the middle of the season; with a little off-season work, I think he could be a solid RFers or occassional Lfer.

Archived