Most important homestand in 15+ years

bluedog

Granted every homestand will be huge from here on out, but this one has the makings of the most important homestand for the Orioles in a long long time.

It's the longest remaining homestand at 10 games. We get 7 games against 2 of the 3 worst teams in the AL. We get the Red Sox who we've handled thus far this season, taking 6 of 9. We miss Felix Hernandez and we start the homestand no more than .5 games out of the AL Wildcard.

Best of all, while the O's get three teams with losing records, the Yanks get Det, Tor and Tex, so there's a very good chances for the good guys to make up ground on the division lead.

Exciting stuff.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every game is big, from here on out. We're supposed to beat SEA and KC, so those are big. BOS isn't going to go away quietly, so we'll need to beat them. I would say that games against teams like BOS, DET and OAK are bigger than the ones against KC and SEA.

Attendance predictions?

I'd like to think we'd see the biggest turn out in years. I suspect the fact we're not facing the Yanks / Red Sox for the first 7 games will hurt attendance even with the playoff race. I think we average 27k a game for the homestand, assuming the team doesn't fold up like a lawn chair or something.

Every game is big, from here on out. We're supposed to beat SEA and KC, so those are big. BOS isn't going to go away quietly, so we'll need to beat them. I would say that games against teams like BOS, DET and OAK are bigger than the ones against KC and SEA.

It's hard to tear off 4 or 5 game win streaks against the top teams in the AL. I think the O's have a shot to do that against SEA and KC and that's why this is so huge. The O's can't play .500 ball (which is what we've done over the past 12 games) and get back into control of the WC. This is the series where we can make a big move.

I'm not sure there's another stretch the rest of the season where the team will have a reasonable chance of a long win streak. If the team really wants to be in the mix at the end of the season, I believe we have to make our move now.

Need to win at least 6 this home stand.

I think you are correct, but that's the minimum we need. I think we should be looking for a 7 - 3 homestand. Pretty sure that would put us back in the lead for the WC and 3 to 5 games out in the East.

Granted every homestand will be huge from here on out, but this one has the makings of the most important homestand for the Orioles in a long long time.

It's the longest remaining homestand at 10 games. We get 7 games against 2 of the 3 worst teams in the AL. We get the Red Sox who we've handled thus far this season, taking 6 of 9. We miss Felix Hernandez and we start the homestand no more than .5 games out of the AL Wildcard.

Best of all, while the O's get three teams with losing records, the Yanks get Det, Tor and Tex, so there's a very good chances for the good guys to make up ground on the division lead.

Exciting stuff.

Well said, and to add to the drama, we haven't played well at home. It's time to start.

Well said, and to add to the drama, we haven't played well at home. It's time to start.

Tillman will be particularly pivotal. There's an outside chance he'll start three games during the 10 game stretch if they skip Britton's or Hunter's spot on the off-day prior to the Red Sox series.

Don't sleep on Seattle. They have played well lately. 15-7 since the all-star break.

I don't buy into the "most important homestead" thinking. This team seems to defy expectations in every way. They are 32-25 on the road. 5-1 at Fenway. 4-2 in Yankee Stadium. Yet at home they are 25-26 with losing series to teams like KC and Cleveland. So, I have no idea how this week will go. I'm not setting any goals, just taking it one game at a time.

I'm predicting a 6-4 homestand, but we need a 7-3 homestand.

Just for fun, I'm predicting a 7 - 3 O's home-stand while the Yanks go 4 - 6 over the same period. The O's enter their August 17th game against the Tigers leading the WildCard and 3.5 games back of the Yanks.

Tillman will be particularly pivotal. There's an outside chance he'll start three games during the 10 game stretch if they skip Britton's or Hunter's spot on the off-day prior to the Red Sox series.

I don't see Hunter being skipped. He has pitched well in three of his last four outings, and wasn't that bad in the other one.

Archived