Most important homestand in 15+ years

bluedog

Too true. That may be one of my top 10 O's moments of all time. Davis should be added to the O's HOF for that one feat !

And the grand slam home run at Yankee Stadium that capped off a 7-run inning that put us on top after we had been down, 5-0. ;)

To be an Oriole fan at Yankee Stadium AT THAT MOMENT ...... words cannot describe how good it felt. :smile11:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And the grand slam home run at Yankee Stadium that capped off a 7-run inning that put us on top after we had been down, 5-0. ;)

To be an Oriole fan at Yankee Stadium AT THAT MOMENT ...... words cannot describe how good it felt. :smile11:

I bet. I've only been to an away Yankees-Orioles game once and it was far less memorable than that one outside the fact it was Rivera's last save at their old stadium. I was on the west coast the week we played the Yanks and I got the 5-0 score notification on my phone. I hate admitting it but I felt resigned to the fact we had lost but I saw later that it was 11-5 and I was never so happy about being proven wrong.

I have a similar Yankee moment, albeit in TV, from a long time ago.

It was in the early 60s, when the Orioles were first starting to get good. They were beating up on the Yankees in a series at Yankee Stadium. One of the later games they broke open with several men on base when a batter smacked one to deep center field. This was in the days when the three monuments were still on the playing field.

The ball bounced into those monuments and kept caroming around in there in unpredictable ways. The centerfielder (might have been Mantle, come to think of it) had trouble picking it up as several Orioles were zooming around the bases.

I rolled on the floor at home in front of the TV set, laughing and laughing.

Archived