I was wrong about Davis

Tony-OH

There, I said it! I thought he had too many holes in his swing and I didn't think he was good enough defensively at either 1B or 3B to support his bat. I was right about the defense at the corners, but he's turned into an adequate outfielder and very well may be able to play everyday right field for this team if needed one day. As for his bat, I've come to the conclusion that he was able to make some adjustments in his swing and although he's going to strike out and he's going to be streaky at times, he's got enough game power to make him valuable.

For me, he's part of the core to build around next year along with Jones, Wieters, Machado and Markakis offensively. Hardy and Reynolds have made themselves integral parts as well for their defense and pop. IF, and I know it's a big if, IF Reimold can come back and be big bat against left-handers in a Gary Roenicke kind of way, and if this team can find an OBP machine who can play decent defense at second base, I think our offense looks pretty set for 2013.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There, I said it! I thought he had too many holes in his swing and I didn't think he was good enough defensively at either 1B or 3B to support his bat. I was right about the defense at the corners, but he's turned into an adequate outfielder and very well may be able to play everyday right field for this team if needed one day. As for his bat, I've come to the conclusion that he was able to make some adjustments in his wing and although he's going to strike out and he's going to be streaky at times, he's got enough game power to make him valuable.

For me, he's part of the core to build around next year along with Jones, Wieters, Machado and Markakis offensively. Hardy and Reynolds have made themselves and integral part as well for their defense and pop. IF, and I know it's a big if, IF Reimold can come back and be big bat against left-handers in a Gary Roenicke kind of way, and if this team can find an OBP machine who can play decent defense at second base, I think our offense looks pretty set for 2013.

Is Machado your OD 3B next year?

Didn't we have a gentleman's bet as to whether Davis would have an ISO over .200? Davis fell under that for a while in his last cold streak but I think tonight's game ices it.

I have to admit Davis has turned out a little better than I expected -- and I advocated giving him at least 500 PA. His OPS is .801 right now, which is higher than I projected by a good bit.

This would be a fantastic lineup with reimold and kakis in it. Reimold was our most clutch hitter untill he got hurt earlier this year. So next year is looking great already especially with machado,bundy, and potentially gausman.

1. Markakis

2. Hardy

3. Machado (yes i think he will)

4. Jones

5. Davis

6. Weiters

7. Reynolds

8. Reimold

9. Flaherty

Unfortunately that leaves out McClouth but maybe he will start over reimold. But thats a damn powerful lineup. Motherofgod

Tony, I am glad you wrote this about Chris Davis. He has earn some respect and I agree he is part of the core of this team.

Also a McLouth/Reimold leftfield may be part for the plan. Or is it Davis/Reimold at DH with McLouth/Hoes in left. Only time will tell. I think Buck is starting to see Flaherty as his long term 2B. But he may start in the minors, especially if Roberts makes it back to start 2013. These things are speculation but Davis is not. He has proved himself this year.

I think Davis proved he cant play 1st. But he also proved he can play in the outfield but preferably in a limited role. DH is his best position.

I am betting that Buck gives Davis the assignment to work his butt of this winter to make himself a better defensive 1B so he can back up Reynolds next year.

Tony, I am glad you wrote this about Chris Davis. He has earn some respect and I agree he is part of the core of this team.

Also a McLouth/Reimold leftfield may be part for the plan. Or is it Davis/Reimold at DH with McLouth/Hoes in left. Only time will tell. I think Buck is starting to see Flaherty as his long term 2B. But he may start in the minors, especially if Roberts makes it back to start 2013. These things are speculation but Davis is not. He has proved himself this year.

I'm not sure Davis is part of the "core" but he is a piece that fits pretty nicely on this team.

Archived